Most interesting rumor I've yet heard in 3 years as a resident

KJW

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be both. I doubt they'd buy that much land in AR & MO for just a distibution center...but certainly could build one on part of it since they have offices in NWA affiliated with wal-mart.

Yeah, especially with Wal-Mart in the area, and the fact that NWA is around the center of the US. It would make a good site for a distribution center especially with the proximity of I-540.

I haven't been to it but I've gotten the impression it's not your everyday Supercenter. I got the impression it's pretty impressive for that area. They draw in a lot of people from Arkansas in particular Benton County. They sell a lot of alcohol and there are a lot lower taxes on food over in Misourri so that also brings in people too. A lot of people wonder about Wal-mart putting in such a large supercenter in that area. But from what I hear the parking lot is full of vehicles with Arkansas plates.

I know I shop there because I don't believe in paying grocery tax and 9% tax on everything. I'm hoping that NWA will lose enough tax revenue due to that Wal-Mart that they'll reconsider the tax system here. I've never lived in a state that charged a grocery tax. It's like highway robbery.

I know I shop there because I don't believe in paying grocery tax and 9% tax on everything. I'm hoping that NWA will lose enough tax revenue due to that Wal-Mart that they'll reconsider the tax system here. I've never lived in a state that charged a grocery tax. It's like highway robbery.

You want city services, road improvements, and good schools...yet, you don't want to pay the taxes that provide those services. That's why the infrastructure is so behind. Everybody whines, but nobody wants to do anything about it.

You want city services, road improvements, and good schools...yet, you don't want to pay the taxes that provide those services. That's why the infrastructure is so behind. Everybody whines, but nobody wants to do anything about it.

I don't see comparable regions in states that don't overtax their citizens as far behind as NWA. And I forgot to mention that I've never lived in a state that had a State Income Tax either. How do those other states do it without all those extra taxes, yet NWA is so far behind and we have every tax that the law will allow.

I'm not whining... I'm trying to make a living here for my family and if that means shopping somewhere that allows me to have extra money to spend here for dining, entertainment, hospital services, etc. then I feel I'm doing something about it. I've sent letters to the various Chambers of Commerce and they've told me the same thing... they don't have the money for infrastructure, yet they won't allow alcohol sales or a state lottery here. They're considering toll roads, extra fuel taxes and even a hotel luxury tax to pay for some of the infrastructure improvements that people that don't even live here use. But these are things that should have already been considered and implemented before it's gotten this bad.

I don't see comparable regions in states that don't overtax their citizens as far behind as NWA. And I forgot to mention that I've never lived in a state that had a State Income Tax either. How do those other states do it without all those extra taxes, yet NWA is so far behind and we have every tax that the law will allow.

I'm not whining... I'm trying to make a living here for my family and if that means shopping somewhere that allows me to have extra money to spend here for dining, entertainment, hospital services, etc. then I feel I'm doing something about it. I've sent letters to the various Chambers of Commerce and they've told me the same thing... they don't have the money for infrastructure, yet they won't allow alcohol sales or a state lottery here. They're considering toll roads, extra fuel taxes and even a hotel luxury tax to pay for some of the infrastructure improvements that people that don't even live here use. But these are things that should have already been considered and implemented before it's gotten this bad.

What you don't pay in grocery or state income tax in other states, you'll make up in other taxes. Texas doesn't have either of those taxes, yet as a whole they pay more taxes than AR. Also, the hotel tax there is 16%....it's only 11.5% here. They should also allow the lottery, toll roads, and alcohol sales...but taxes are a neccessity to provide basic services. If you don't like the taxes and situation there, you can always move.

What you don't pay in grocery or state income tax in other states, you'll make up in other taxes. Texas doesn't have either of those taxes, yet as a whole they pay more taxes than AR. Also, the hotel tax there is 16%....it's only 11.5% here. They should also allow the lottery, toll roads, and alcohol sales...but taxes are a neccessity to provide basic services. If you don't like the taxes and situation there, you can always move.

I understand where you're coming from about taxes and I didn't say those other states are perfect... they're just more concerned about their taxpayers than Arkansas. I live here so I don't care what the Hotel Tax is but people that don't live here that use our roads and services should pay more taxes to stay in our Hotels... besides their companies just write it off as a business expense. As for Texans paying more taxes than Arkansans I'd like to see the figures to show that.

When I see NWA or Arkansas as a whole start making smart decisions about taxes I'll be more inclined to do my grocery shopping here. I don't like the tax situation in NWA but I'm not moving as I like this region and I intend to raise my children here and I'll be buried here when I die. NWA has a lot of opportunites for families without all the crime, gang warfare, drugs and pollution that bigger cities have, but NWA just has some maturing to do.

Yeah I'm not sure why Arkansas does taxes the way they do. But you know what's funny there are other states worse than Arkansas. I hear Tennessee is really horrible on food tax. People from Memphis apparently go to West Memphis or Mississippi to shop a lot. Pretty funny when people are coming into our state to shop when in this area of the state people are going out the state to shop. I do think maybe Arkansas could rethink some of their taxes. But until they are able to find a way to make up the difference I don't think they need to do away with the taxes on food just yet. Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I've lived in Arkansas almost my whole life and I'm just used to it. I remember my sister making a big deal when she first moved to Texas and there wasn't any tax on food and I don't think there's a personal income tax there either. But she eventually found out there were other taxes that ended up making up for it. But it is something that I hear a lot of our newcomers from out of state are shocked to find out. Some people are simply used to taxes being done a different way in their old states.

I like going there every now and then. They do have the largest selection of alchol and liquor in any Wal-Mart. The taxes are substantually lower, but it's a little out of my way.

I like going there every now and then. They do have the largest selection of alchol and liquor in any Wal-Mart. The taxes are substantually lower, but it's a little out of my way.

My routine is usually hit Macadoodles for gas, cigs and a lottery ticket then Wal-Mart for groceries and beer. I do all my specialty shopping here like Kohl's and such and my favorite Wal-Mart is still in Springdale. So it's not like I refuse to pay any taxes in Arkansas. I just like saving a few bucks on groceries.

My routine is usually hit Macadoodles for gas, cigs and a lottery ticket then Wal-Mart for groceries and beer. I do all my specialty shopping here like Kohl's and such and my favorite Wal-Mart is still in Springdale. So it's not like I refuse to pay any taxes in Arkansas. I just like saving a few bucks on groceries.

So have you been to the new Wal-Mart up there?

So have you been to the new Wal-Mart up there?

Yeah... that's what got me in deep water with Tim about paying taxes to begin with. I shop the Pineville Wal-Mart about once or twice a month when I have time.

Apparently Centerton is getting a new Wal-Mart Supercenter pretty soon.

Yeah... that's what got me in deep water with Tim about paying taxes to begin with. I shop the Pineville Wal-Mart about once or twice a month when I have time.

Apparently Centerton is getting a new Wal-Mart Supercenter pretty soon.

Yes, it's going to go behind the new McDonalds up there, and will be 186,000 Square Feet.

Back on Topic, I was getting my haircut today, and the lady cutting my hair began to talk about the area and growth. She then mentioned that a Pinnacle Looking Fellow came and told her that Disney has bought land somewhere in the area, and that a theme park is coming. I've known this lady for years, and she would never lie, so my perception about the theme park has changed.

Back on Topic, I was getting my haircut today, and the lady cutting my hair began to talk about the area and growth. She then mentioned that a Pinnacle Looking Fellow came and told her that Disney has bought land somewhere in the area, and that a theme park is coming. I've known this lady for years, and she would never lie, so my perception about the theme park has changed.

I'm not saying I doubt the lady who cuts your hair but I've heard a lot of people mentioning that someone has gone around telling them that Disney bought land and is building a theme park. I just want to know why are these people that Disney has bought land and might be building a theme park. Just sounds a bit odd to me. I'm not saying it certainly isn't possible but I'm not ready to get excited or anything yet. I'm going to have to hear more.

haha. true

It's just fun to imagine the possibilities if Arkansas did get a disney world. It would knock us a few eras ahead of where we are all across the board: economy, education, infrastructure, prestige, etc.

It really would completely invigorate the area....and give it arkansas its second world class destination, after the clinton library/heifer global village thing.

It would be amazing.

Yeah it would be nice to see this area bring in some more tourist and from further away. The Ozarks bring in a lot of people from neighboring states and a lot of the midwest. I'm not sure in NWA gets a lot of that but something like that could pull in a lot more people. I wouldn't want us to be overly reliant on tourism but I'd certainly like to see it become a bigger piece of the economy. Maybe this area becoming more of a tourist area would also help the area get more money to take care of things around here. States usually take better care of their tourist areas because you want to leave a good impression on tourist so that they may come back or at least spread the word.

I thought we all agreed that if Disney was building anything here it would be a retirement village or a major distribution center?

I still think that the new Disney Theme Park would be on the Missouri side due to Walt Disney being from Missouri... not to mention that Disney World's Main Street is modelled after the town of Marceline, Missouri where Disney grew up. It would be like a slap in the face to Missouri if you know what I mean.

I thought we all agreed that if Disney was building anything here it would be a retirement village or a major distribution center?

I still think that the new Disney Theme Park would be on the Missouri side due to Walt Disney being from Missouri... not to mention that Disney World's Main Street is modelled after the town of Marceline, Missouri where Disney grew up. It would be like a slap in the face to Missouri if you know what I mean.

That's what I thought.

But the rumor about how the land deal has been signed for a theme park is spreading like wildfire up here. I've heard it could be in SW Missouri, or inbetween Siloam Springs and Springdale.

I was just referring to IF they were to build an amusement park. I'm not saying that I think they will yet. :D

A land deal like that would have been in the papers or on the news by now.

True, that's what I keep wondering about. Why is there no news on the local news of newpapers? And why is it that all the rumors seem to be focused around somebody hearing from someone else that they bought a lot of land? Doesn't sound like there's been much firsthand info yet.

True, that's what I keep wondering about. Why is there no news on the local news of newpapers? And why is it that all the rumors seem to be focused around somebody hearing from someone else that they bought a lot of land? Doesn't sound like there's been much firsthand info yet.

But than again, Disney does have a way with keeping land deals a secret.

Back when Disney was building the Walt Disney World in Orlando, the company sent 100's of agents to the Citrus State, and the agents bought land in small parcels and kept it secret, until the company announced that a theme park was coming, and then the land practically tripled over night around it.

Archived