Most interesting rumor I've yet heard in 3 years as a resident

KJW

But than again, Disney does have a way with keeping land deals a secret.

Back when Disney was building the Walt Disney World in Orlando, the company sent 100's of agents to the Citrus State, and the agents bought land in small parcels and kept it secret, until the company announced that a theme park was coming, and then the land practically tripled over night around it.

I admit I have considered that. No one wats to make it public that they're buying lots of land because prices will suddenly skyrocket.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But than again, Disney does have a way with keeping land deals a secret.

Back when Disney was building the Walt Disney World in Orlando, the company sent 100's of agents to the Citrus State, and the agents bought land in small parcels and kept it secret, until the company announced that a theme park was coming, and then the land practically tripled over night around it.

For the record, Florida is known as the Sunshine State not the Citrus State. :D

• 1 month later...

As for the Pineville Wal-Mart...we shop there all the time.

Virtually every trip there, I see chinese families, mexican/central american families, (punjabi) indian families, black families, gay families (to those of you who remember what McDonald County was like even 20 years ago, ever think you'd see two men shopping together, one with a Louis Vuitton shoulderbag, in Jane?)...I even saw a rastafarian in full floppy-knit-hat-that-covers-his-dreads gear. Most assuredly are coming from B'ville or Bella Vista, but at the risk of sounding like a fuddy-duddy, but this is not our father's McDonald County.

I've also driven through the nice subdivision west of Pineville...beautful streetlights, on a hilltop...the houses aren't as fancy as you'd find at Pinnacle, but they're not bad.

I actually was informed of the whole Disney thing by my realtor who is also family when I relocated here, and said that he helped work with the brokers on the deal some, and then also from a mortgage person that works out of the same office as the realtor who was discussing it with a gentleman that had been out golfing behind some of the Disney people. Granted, that still makes it 2nd-4th hand info but you never know! The golf thing is also a good possibility, but is up in the air as to where, as there is also another big name in the area looking to help sponsor the event. When I was in Des Moines, the Senior PGA US Open came to the area and the turnout was so good there is now an annual stop on the tour in DSM.

I actually was informed of the whole Disney thing by my realtor who is also family when I relocated here, and said that he helped work with the brokers on the deal some, and then also from a mortgage person that works out of the same office as the realtor who was discussing it with a gentleman that had been out golfing behind some of the Disney people. Granted, that still makes it 2nd-4th hand info but you never know! The golf thing is also a good possibility, but is up in the air as to where, as there is also another big name in the area looking to help sponsor the event. When I was in Des Moines, the Senior PGA US Open came to the area and the turnout was so good there is now an annual stop on the tour in DSM.

Thanks for the news. It's sounding more and more like Disney has bought land in the area. But I think the question still is what will they do with it.

I actually think that'd be pretty cool......................

edit:// oh....sprawlvillllllle....yeah i guess that's bad...

on the bright side....there's always fayetteville! moooahahhah. Seriously, give Benton county to the dogs, fayetteville will always be there with its charm...

haha...ok i'm sort of kidding.

Just one man's opinion.

I don't get Branson, either, but there are millions who disagree with me.

Gimmicks just don't appeal to me.

There are plenty of great reasons to live in NWA and the economy is great.

If there's an "attraction" to be snatched out of thin air and plopped down, why not eastern Arkansas where they would love a few thousand McJobs?

One problem I have with picturing a Disney park in NWA is that the jobs will all be hotel and restaurant jobs. Not the diversification of the economy I hope for.

A few nice resorts would result, but anyone's who's been to Kissimee/ St. Cloud/ Orlando knows it mostly looks like Thompson ave in Springdale, just every other corner is a different chain motel.

It would put NWA on the map, but at what cost?

Just one man's opinion.

I don't get Branson, either, but there are millions who disagree with me.

Gimmicks just don't appeal to me.

There are plenty of great reasons to live in NWA and the economy is great.

If there's an "attraction" to be snatched out of thin air and plopped down, why not eastern Arkansas where they would love a few thousand McJobs?

One problem I have with picturing a Disney park in NWA is that the jobs will all be hotel and restaurant jobs. Not the diversification of the economy I hope for.

A few nice resorts would result, but anyone's who's been to Kissimee/ St. Cloud/ Orlando knows it mostly looks like Thompson ave in Springdale, just every other corner is a different chain motel.

It would put NWA on the map, but at what cost?

I certainly do see your points and I guess it's just a matter of opinion. As far as to why they put one in eastern Arkansas. I hate to put it like this but overall there's very few places in eastern Arkansas that I think anyone would be willing to visit. They could certainly use something like that but would many people want to go I think is more the question. Whereas I think more people would find coming to this area. I admit I'm probably more for this than against but I can see why there might be some concern. I do agree this isn't the type of diversification that I'm looking for as well. I've never been to any Disney parks so I guess I have a hard time judging this. I still think it's possible that they could do something else wirth the land aside from an amusement park.

I certainly do see your points and I guess it's just a matter of opinion. As far as to why they put one in eastern Arkansas. I hate to put it like this but overall there's very few places in eastern Arkansas that I think anyone would be willing to visit. They could certainly use something like that but would many people want to go I think is more the question. Whereas I think more people would find coming to this area. I admit I'm probably more for this than against but I can see why there might be some concern. I do agree this isn't the type of diversification that I'm looking for as well. I've never been to any Disney parks so I guess I have a hard time judging this. I still think it's possible that they could do something else wirth the land aside from an amusement park.

I don't even like amusement parks. I've been to the Disney ones and the Universal Studios, etc. Lines, lines, lines, lines, lines.... I hate standing in line.

Come to think of it, one park like Six Flags wouldn't be bad. I guess its the combination of all the parks in Orlando that makes it so overwhelming.

I do like Sea World. I'm all for one of those.

I don't even like amusement parks. I've been to the Disney ones and the Universal Studios, etc. Lines, lines, lines, lines, lines.... I hate standing in line.

Come to think of it, one park like Six Flags wouldn't be bad. I guess its the combination of all the parks in Orlando that makes it so overwhelming.

I do like Sea World. I'm all for one of those.

Yeah I do like the idea of a Sea World. But I guess I'd just be happy if Fayetteville can ever get this aquarium movement going and just have that.

We may not get more diversified economy if Disney builds a theme park here but what we will get is more diversified crime. It seems everytime Disney builds a new theme park in Orlando car jackers come up with a new way of jacking your car. Orlando is the "Car Jacking Capitol of the World".

Interesting thoughts.

I love Sea World. But hell, that's a lot less likely than Disney World (which is already not very probable).

Certainly, as much as we all might like Sea World I'm not expecting to ever see one in NWA in my lifetime.

Archived