Most interesting rumor I've yet heard in 3 years as a resident

KJW

Maybe they are going to put in a "JesusLand" theme park for all the redstaters.

It would be a nice day trip for those already making the Branson pilgrimage.

I think there's already a bible theme park in Central Florida, but we are in the middle of the Bible Belt.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha. Dear God that would be awful.

But seriously, the First Baptist Springdale Church is pretty amazing........... probably dozens of millions of dollars well spent: building really really big buildings with the latest in technology.

Maybe they are going to put in a "JesusLand" theme park for all the redstaters.

It would be a nice day trip for those already making the Branson pilgrimage.

Northwest Arkansas already has a Bible-themed attraction. It's the Great Passion Play. It features much more than just the

• 1 month later...

I keep hearing, from people either who do business in, who've moved from or are trying to move to, McDonald County this same rumor. Right now, that's all it is.

However, there was a front page article in this past week's McDonald County press that land prices in that county are now the highest in the region. I bought a copy of the paper but it was at night so I haven't had time to read the article and see what that region is defined by, but that's quite interesting in a county where land was so cheap not that long ago.

At worst, that tells me (perhaps with the new bypass approved both on the Missouri and Arkansas sides) there's significant development expected there.

I think there's already a bible theme park in Central Florida, but we are in the middle of the Bible Belt.

The "Holy Land Experience" near Orlando is what you're referring to.

I'm not sure the Passion Play experience in Eureka Springs would detract from that type of theme park as most people looking for a "Christian Vacation" would be prone to visit multiple attractions in the area, not just one.

I also wonder if such a thing were to be built in the region, wouldn't it be better off in Branson or in Carthage, MO (home of Precious Moments Chapel, etc)?

The "Holy Land Experience" near Orlando is what you're referring to.

I'm not sure the Passion Play experience in Eureka Springs would detract from that type of theme park as most people looking for a "Christian Vacation" would be prone to visit multiple attractions in the area, not just one.

I also wonder if such a thing were to be built in the region, wouldn't it be better off in Branson or in Carthage, MO (home of Precious Moments Chapel, etc)?

If there was such a theme park made in the region, believe me, it would get plenty of support.

If there was such a theme park made in the region, believe me, it would get plenty of support.

Well the Holy Land Experience in Florida isn't really anything more than what's already in Eureka Springs, but I think an amusement-style Christian theme park would be great for the region too and it wouldn't hurt the Passion Play or the Elna M. Smith Foundation as they are not there for amusement rather they are there to educate people about the history of Christianity. Some Christians might argue that a Christian Theme Park would be like trying to commercialize Christianity or make it just another avenue for amusement, but if done properly it could be great. I would hate to see a ride called "Mad Noah's Ark of Anxiety" or "Jacob's Ladder of Peril" or anything like that, but I think it could be the most popular theme park in the world... if done properly.

Well the Holy Land Experience in Florida isn't really anything more than what's already in Eureka Springs, but I think an amusement-style Christian theme park would be great for the region too and it wouldn't hurt the Passion Play or the Elna M. Smith Foundation as they are not there for amusement rather they are there to educate people about the history of Christianity. Some Christians might argue that a Christian Theme Park would be like trying to commercialize Christianity or make it just another avenue for amusement, but if done properly it could be great. I would hate to see a ride called "Mad Noah's Ark of Anxiety" or "Jacob's Ladder of Peril" or anything like that, but I think it could be the most popular theme park in the world... if done properly.

I would never want to see a theme park like that.

It is commercializing Christianity.

yuck

I myself wouldn't like to see a theme park like that either.

I don't think it's much different than the areas biggest churches doing carnivals and halloween events. The idea is to bring more people to God and that may be a good way of doing it. Christianity has been assimilating many cultures' own pagan beliefs into Christianity in order to win over that culture. But then it would probably be more ideally suited for a country that isn't already mostly Christian like Japan where Christianity hasn't been able to convert any of the Zen Buddhists to Christianity since they set up missions there after WWII.

Anyway, we might as well scratch off any kind of Christian-themed park as a rumor because we already have the country's biggest with the Elna M. Smith Foundation and the Passion Play in Eureka Springs.

I don't think it's much different than the areas biggest churches doing carnivals and halloween events. The idea is to bring more people to God and that may be a good way of doing it. Christianity has been assimilating many cultures' own pagan beliefs into Christianity in order to win over that culture. But then it would probably be more ideally suited for a country that isn't already mostly Christian like Japan where Christianity hasn't been able to convert any of the Zen Buddhists to Christianity since they set up missions there after WWII.

My point is that Christianity is useless if it doesn't encourage a person to be moral, or if it doesn't morally reform any person. If they just have to say, "I believe in Jesus" and go about their dandy way indifferent to immorality, religion is useless; it becomes a club. Commercializing and caricaturing Christianity serves nothing but a superficial purpose. The owners would make money just by attaching "Jesus" to some roller coaster.

Rant over. I'll stop now.

My point is that Christianity is useless if it doesn't encourage a person to be moral, or if it doesn't morally reform any person. If they just have to say, "I believe in Jesus" and go about their dandy way indifferent to immorality, religion is useless; it becomes a club. Commercializing and caricaturing Christianity serves nothing but a superficial purpose. The owners would make money just by attaching "Jesus" to some roller coaster.

Rant over. I'll stop now.

That's the point I was trying to make when I heard the rumor of a possible Christian Theme Park under this topic. When someone says Theme Park I think of Disneyland and it sounded like everyone was supporting a Christian Theme Park so I just painted a pretty picture of it to see what the reaction would be, which thankfully was what I expected. It is a sickening thought of profiting in the name of God. Robert Tilton comes to mind. I think it's probably safest to just stick with Christian themed museums like the Elna M. Smith Foundation in Eureka Springs and the Holy Land Experience in Orlando... even if they do earn a profit.

Where did this rumor about a Christian Theme Park come from anyway?

Me and my wife are huge Disney fans. Just got back from WDWorld in November, and are now planning another trip to both the park, and our very first cruise on DCL in November. Being that we are such fans I have looked into rumors also. I have heard MO, TX & OK mentioned as future sights of Disneylands. The most likely if they were to hold to sentimental value would have to be MO. That is where Walt grew up. BUT this rumor mill has been churning for years. So much so that it came up at a Disney shareholders meeting. They categoricaly denied it, saying that they could see no boost in revenue. That all it would do is take from the business on either coast. Then again, as someone asked about the land prices in Florida prior to WDW, I thought about the fact that Disney went into Florida with more than a few shell companies, buying up a ton of land without using the Disney name, before any plans were anounced. Walt was ticked about the cheesy business that sprung up in Anahiem around Disney Land so he wanted to insulate the parks from that happeniong again. If they realy were planning something, we would not know it until the land was already purchased. So that puts us in a quandry...

We have heard the rumors. This is not nearly as covert as Florida was. Strike against them moving here. MO, holds sentimental value. Strike for. It is centraly located. Another strike for. They are probably right, that if people wanted Disney, the trip to the coasts is minor, so putting one in the center might cost more than it would ever make. Strike against. Then again there are alot of people who never leave the region, and so might not experience Disney and becaome fans as my family has. Strike for. Hmmm. Guess I will just choose to believe it when I see it. I personaly think a wiser investment for Disney would be to add a 3rd ship to the fleet to service the west coast.

Yeah, me and my wife have been in Youth Ministry for 7 years. I studied to be a senior pastor, but adults are to hard headed. I am also the state coordinator for Christian Paintball Players Associations. We love both ministries. Thanks for the welcome. BTW we are probably not going to be in Lowell for much longer. I found this place because I was trying to google where the BV bypass will be since we are looking at property in Gravette.

Yeah, me and my wife have been in Youth Ministry for 7 years. I studied to be a senior pastor, but adults are to hard headed. I am also the state coordinator for Christian Paintball Players Associations. We love both ministries. Thanks for the welcome. BTW we are probably not going to be in Lowell for much longer. I found this place because I was trying to google where the BV bypass will be since we are looking at property in Gravette.

Welcome to the NWA Forum ythpstr2000. It's great to have more "family friendly" people post on this forum. I'm one of the only posters that has a child and I get chided for always talking about "family attractions". We already have The Great Passion Play and Elna M. Smith Foundation in Eureka Springs and with the rumor going about a Disney theme park I guess someone caught word of another Christian theme park going somewhere near Branson. I was wondering how you felt about a Christian-themed amusement park that I described earlier? Do you think it would be blasphemy or something good to get more children and adults into Christianity? Do you think that children should idolize a mouse or would it be possible for Christianity to be just as much fun as Disney World?

Welcome to the NWA Forum ythpstr2000.

...ditto, and God bless.

In the shopping center where our store in Centerton is there's a sixtysomething insurance agent and branch manager for his company who's from St. Louis...sounds like he was getting in the business in his hometown when the arch was being built.

Anyhoo, he said that Walt approached St. L officials when that city's riverfront was starting to be rebuilt and developed. He had an idea for a second "Disneyland" style attraction in that area, but he asked for some help...could the city officials give him total tax amnesty for five years until he got his attraction built up and running? After that (and he apparently expected big things) they could tax him as much as anyone else.

Whether or not that was a reasonable request, the St. L officials nixed it. The insurance agent said Walt then turned his gaze from his home state to O-town, and the rest is history.

Looking at the beauty of McDonald County, and the huge chunk of undeveloped land between Pineville, Noel and Jane, and the vibrancy and diversity of this NWA area (which is becoming as ethnically diverse as St. Louis has been) and the rumors, frankly, make sense.

Don't know if they'll ever happen and I'm not banking on it, but I won't be surprised by it, either.

(which is becoming as ethnically diverse as St. Louis has been)

Sorry KJW, but I can't agree with this statement. NWA is becoming diverse yes. When I go to Wal-Mart, I see African Americans, Asian, Punjabi, European, and Hispanics everywhere. Yet, NWA is small in those numbers.

Here's the ethnic info from St. Louis's 2000 census:

St. Louis

Black (51.2%)

White Non-Hispanic (42.9%)

Hispanic (2.0%)

Two or more races (1.9%)

Vietnamese (1.0%)

American Indian (0.8%)

Other race (0.8%)

Again, No offense at all.

Yeah I'm not trying to be argumentative either but I think NWA has a way to go before it's very diverse ethnically. It's certainly come a long way but considering how 'white' this area has been in the recent past it's just going to take a while. :D

Yeah I'm not trying to be argumentative either but I think NWA has a way to go before it's very diverse ethnically. It's certainly come a long way but considering how 'white' this area has been in the recent past it's just going to take a while. :D

I stand by my statement.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been to St. Louis, once said to be where the "food is italian, the language is french and the people are german". I'm well aware of what an ethnic stew that place is. But my original statement was "This place is BECOMING as ethnically diverse as St. Louis".

Once again, I went to the McDonald County Wal-Mart for our weekly grocery run yesterday afternoon.

Once again, as is pretty much the case everytime I go there now, I saw asian families, (India)n families, latino families, black families, (this time I saw the first black employee at the McD County store). Betcha we'd have seen a mix of western european surnames if we'd polled the caucasian families in attendance as well.

Anyone care to try convincing me that we'd have seen such a callaloo at a McDonald County market 20-30 years ago, on a regular basis?

I do agree that the area is becoming more diverse, certainly. But I think considering where it started off at that it's just going to take a while before we're comparable to some of the larger cities and metros.

Sorry KJW, but I can't agree with this statement. NWA is becoming diverse yes. When I go to Wal-Mart, I see African Americans, Asian, Punjabi, European, and Hispanics everywhere. Yet, NWA is small in those numbers.

Here's the ethnic info from St. Louis's 2000 census:

St. Louis

Black (51.2%)

White Non-Hispanic (42.9%)

Hispanic (2.0%)

Two or more races (1.9%)

Vietnamese (1.0%)

American Indian (0.8%)

Other race (0.8%)

Again, No offense at all.

Gang,

I promise I'm going to let this go, but last night, watching the 10:00 newscast by our friends at KNWA:

- They led off with a story of two gunmen being sought by police from some Rogers neighborhood which looked at worst lower-middle class. The reporter interviewed first a woman of (India)n descent in her sari (sic?) holding her little boy, then a hispanic lady. (The Indian woman talked about how the "cops" came...it was sort of amusing hearing her saying it with her lovely accent.)

- Then they talked about the story (discussed also on this board) about the new Fayetteville downtown building height requirement, with a young caucasian professional looking man in opposition to it interviewed whose last name was something like "Oudoumejian". (I remember the movie "Author, author!" with Al Pacino as playwright Ivan Travalian. When Travalian was asked how he could tell when a person was Armenian, he replied: "Because their last names all rhyme with "Armenian".)

- Then they featured a Springdale physician, born in the Dominican Republic and raised in Miami and New York, who first moved to practice in Pine Bluff then visited NWA for a Razorback football game, fell in love with it here and says he's going to retire here.

One cannot escape from the diversity that's happening in this area. (And this 'cast made no mention of the huge Marshallese community in Springdale, the Laotian Hmong community in western Benton County, etc.)

Archived