Most interesting rumor I've yet heard in 3 years as a resident

KJW

Gang,

I promise I'm going to let this go, but last night, watching the 10:00 newscast by our friends at KNWA:

- They led off with a story of two gunmen being sought by police from some Rogers neighborhood which looked at worst lower-middle class. The reporter interviewed first a woman of (India)n descent in her sari (sic?) holding her little boy, then a hispanic lady. (The Indian woman talked about how the "cops" came...it was sort of amusing hearing her saying it with her lovely accent.)

- Then they talked about the story (discussed also on this board) about the new Fayetteville downtown building height requirement, with a young caucasian professional looking man in opposition to it interviewed whose last name was something like "Oudoumejian". (I remember the movie "Author, author!" with Al Pacino as playwright Ivan Travalian. When Travalian was asked how he could tell when a person was Armenian, he replied: "Because their last names all rhyme with "Armenian".)

- Then they featured a Springdale physician, born in the Dominican Republic and raised in Miami and New York, who first moved to practice in Pine Bluff then visited NWA for a Razorback football game, fell in love with it here and says he's going to retire here.

One cannot escape from the diversity that's happening in this area. (And this 'cast made no mention of the huge Marshallese community in Springdale, the Laotian Hmong community in western Benton County, etc.)

Reading about all this diversity reminds me of a song called "It's a Small World". Hmmm... that's an attraction at Disney World. That proves it we're getting a Disney theme park!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gang,

I promise I'm going to let this go, but last night, watching the 10:00 newscast by our friends at KNWA:

- They led off with a story of two gunmen being sought by police from some Rogers neighborhood which looked at worst lower-middle class. The reporter interviewed first a woman of (India)n descent in her sari (sic?) holding her little boy, then a hispanic lady. (The Indian woman talked about how the "cops" came...it was sort of amusing hearing her saying it with her lovely accent.)

- Then they talked about the story (discussed also on this board) about the new Fayetteville downtown building height requirement, with a young caucasian professional looking man in opposition to it interviewed whose last name was something like "Oudoumejian". (I remember the movie "Author, author!" with Al Pacino as playwright Ivan Travalian. When Travalian was asked how he could tell when a person was Armenian, he replied: "Because their last names all rhyme with "Armenian".)

- Then they featured a Springdale physician, born in the Dominican Republic and raised in Miami and New York, who first moved to practice in Pine Bluff then visited NWA for a Razorback football game, fell in love with it here and says he's going to retire here.

One cannot escape from the diversity that's happening in this area. (And this 'cast made no mention of the huge Marshallese community in Springdale, the Laotian Hmong community in western Benton County, etc.)

I did watch the news KJW, I was impressed myself. There was plenty of ethnic diversity on the news. I can't help but notice it myself. Today, I had lunch at Panda, and I noticed plenty of Asian, Black, Hispanic, and Indian people in the restaurant. The area is becoming more diverse, but it's still no where on the scale of a larger metro. like St. Louis or Dallas.

I did watch the news KJW, I was impressed myself. There was plenty of ethnic diversity on the news. I can't help but notice it myself. Today, I had lunch at Panda, and I noticed plenty of Asian, Black, Hispanic, and Indian people in the restaurant. The area is becoming more diverse, but it's still no where on the scale of a larger metro. like St. Louis or Dallas.

I don't know what in the hell you are all talking about. NWA will be more diverse, just give it time. But St Louis. It's half white and half black. That is not diverse. NWA is compiling a melting pot from all over the world. The asians, punjabi, blacks, hispanics and seemingly every where in between. In concerns to Disney World. The main theme for this topic needs to be "Don't get your hopes up"! Not diversity or Christianity

I don't know what in the hell you are all talking about. NWA will be more diverse, just give it time. But St Louis. It's half white and half black. That is not diverse. NWA is compiling a melting pot from all over the world. The asians, punjabi, blacks, hispanics and seemingly every where in between. In concerns to Disney World. The main theme for this topic needs to be "Don't get your hopes up"! Not diversity or Christianity

St. Louis is still more diverse than NWA.

You're obviously falling for the same hype that many people in NWA are falling for. NWA is currently NOT very diverse. NWA has recently started becoming more diverse, yet is still not as diverse as many similar metros. The only reason you think it's so diverse is because it just happened all of a sudden instead of gradually over the last several decades like most places.

BTW_ Yes, religion is alot more deeper than a mouse. So which one should impact and saturate your life more, your religion, or a fantasy mouse? Seems to me that even using your logic, it would make much more sense to HAVE a Christian theme park, than one based on super heroes and cartoon characters. I mean, you yourself said that religion should be DEEPER. Is it realy deeper if it does not impact every corner of your life including the business you start, in this case, a theme park?

Do yourself a favor and dont eat there again. If you wonder why feel free to send me an email. Just know this. I am in about 40 something different restaurants a month as part of my secular job, and Panda is one of them, and I dont eat there.

Lunch at Panda? Unless you're a dare-devil, I'll second that. I can't first hand, but knowing someone who has worked there before... de-light-ful

Do yourself a favor and dont eat there again. If you wonder why feel free to send me an email. Just know this. I am in about 40 something different restaurants a month as part of my secular job, and Panda is one of them, and I dont eat there.

I enjoy Panda, it's one of my favorite places to eat. Yes, I know they had a bunch of problems with rats in their kitchens and stuff, but some of their noodle dishes are among the best in Rogers. Plus, $6.40 for a lunch is pretty good.

I enjoy Panda, it's one of my favorite places to eat. Yes, I know they had a bunch of problems with rats in their kitchens and stuff, but some of their noodle dishes are among the best in Rogers. Plus, $6.40 for a lunch is pretty good.

I also enjoy Panda as does my family. It's easy on the budget and it's good food. If there's a genuine health concern and they're allowed to stay open then it'll make for interesting law suits if anyone gets sick from eating there. It couldn't be much worse than sitting in traffic for hours inhaling toxic fumes from thousands of mufflers.

OK, well good luck with that! I am a germ a phobe. I ate there before I knew what the kitchen looked like. Pests are not as much an issue now, but sanitation still is. About 2 years ago though, you could not lift up a cieling tile at one of theyre locations without about 50 cockroaches scattering from each one. If you want good Chinese food, which is my wife and I's favorite, I HIGHLY reccomend Linns Garden. They have a location in Bentonville, accross from Krispy Kreme, and in Ft Smith accross from St Edwards Hospital. Theyre kitchens are among the cleanest, and theyre food is better IMO. Like I said, I am a germ a phobe, and so about the only thing I would eat at Panda is the prewrapped fortune cookies. I can eat there free if I wanted because of the nature of my business. I dont. But thats me. Mr germ a phobe.

BTW- They are constantly getting written up on violations.

Here is one example...

another

There are more. In fact every time they are listed they have critical violations. I would not at all be surprised if someone had gotten sick before.

OK, well good luck with that! I am a germ a phobe. I ate there before I knew what the kitchen looked like. Pests are not as much an issue now, but sanitation still is. About 2 years ago though, you could not lift up a cieling tile at one of theyre locations without about 50 cockroaches scattering from each one. If you want good Chinese food, which is my wife and I's favorite, I HIGHLY reccomend Linns Garden. They have a location in Bentonville, accross from Krispy Kreme, and in Ft Smith accross from St Edwards Hospital. Theyre kitchens are among the cleanest, and theyre food is better IMO. Like I said, I am a germ a phobe, and so about the only thing I would eat at Panda is the prewrapped fortune cookies. I can eat there free if I wanted because of the nature of my business. I dont. But thats me. Mr germ a phobe.

Now that you've turned my stomach to Panda I may have to check out Linns Garden. That's the one with the giant neon green dragon on the roof isn't it? I like that kind of stuff, which is what attracted me to Panda with all it's neon lights and fake palm trees and fountains. Does Linns Garden have a buffet?

I changed my post as you were posting. You may want to relook. Yes, Linns is a Buffet and you can also order from the menu. I dont remember about the neon, but I can say that last time we were there (this Wednesday for lunch) my wife was admiring a huge statue with Buddha they have in one corner. It is alot more decorated inside than Panda is IMO. I do like Pandas fish tank more, since its located dead center after entering. But Linns does have a nice looking tank also, built into the wall near the register. I would defenitly try and give it a try even if you are sold already on Panda...

No more debating!! My brain is tired. I graciously throw in the white flag.

So, I heard this rumor. Apparently disney wants to build in NW AR or SW MO. Pretty crazy, huh?

Discuss.

OK, done. I dont believe Mickey is coming. I doubt Noahs Ark Park is either.

Sort of like the conversation we had about Panda. I know theyre practices and as such I gladly will say that you should not eat there.

If I offended you in any way, I apologize. I just enjoy eating there, regardless of their past Health Code Problems.

Please continue the argument under the topic for theme park vs. panda argument, and allow this to go back to the Disney conversation. I just scrolled thru several posts of arguing and haven't learned a single thing on new developments...

Thanks!!!

I won't tolerate any more of this in this topic.

If you wish to continue a discussion on religon, take it to the NWASkybar topic that is threaded in the forum. Also, please do not personally attack anyone, and respect the faith and values of other people.

Thank you mod!!

Indeed, thanks, and God bless.

Back on the subject...an account executive from the McDonald County Press called us up today asking whether we want to buy space for their Mother's Day section.

I joked that I want a half page ad when they have the Walt Disney announcement. The rep said she'd heard those rumors, too, as well as ones that Dolly Parton has bought land in the county for a theme park.

She confirmed that Freeman Hospital has indeed bought land to build a (small, 10-bed) hospital with a helipad there. I saw earthmovers at the spot they're supposed to be, apparently near the new Boonslick motel that's been built north of the Jane, MO W-M supercenter. The account rep said that Crowder College has contracted to have a satellite facility with this hospital as well. (Ostensibly to train medical staffers like L.P.N.s?)

As I stated before, me and my wife are huge Disney fans. As such, I also participate occasionally and browse alot on another forum you guys may want to look at...

Magic Trips Community?

Jeebus, man, line-by-line quoting like this is against the rules and it's completely annoying.

I had no idea it was against the rules. Debating religion for two years on another now defunct forum, if you did not deal with something line by line it got extremely confusing, and also incomplete. I doubt with as much as he raised that I addressed it would have been no different.

If I offended you in any way, I apologize. I just enjoy eating there, regardless of their past Health Code Problems.

No, I am not offended. I just couldnt do it. I dont even live by a 3 second rule. If it hits the ground, the dog gets it. In fact I have barely caught something, it never touched the ground, yet the idea was to much and the dog got it. I dont know if its simple germaphobia, or some kind of OCD, but I do know my dog loves me for it! :D Since he weighs more than both my kids combined (Rottweiler) its kind of important to keep him happy, you know! :thumbsup:

If it makes any difference to you I disagree with the comments he made about you and your ministry. It's not for me or anyone to judge anyone and what they do. You are a youth pastor, which is a very important person who touches lives when they need it most. If anyone says otherwise then they don't know squat.

Thanks. We almost quit recently because of some parents (hardest part of the job) and a $ issue that came up (when people dont know your budget and expenses it seems kind of ridicules that people could demand that theyre kids get a free ride to a pretty expensive event). Anyway some stuff was said at the event in a youth pastor meeting that brought the purpose back in focus, so instead of quiting we took our first break after 7 years straight. Now we are back and refreshed with a renewed vision and its like starting all over again. I remembered my first love (Revelations 2:4)!

Anywho, Disney is cool. Cant wait to go back in November. I have not been to Silver Dollar City in about 3 years because one visit to Disney World is better than 5 to SDC IMO. If they did move here I would not be under any dillusion that it would be as good as Orlando. There are now many Disneylands, but only one Disney World. We would most likely still make the trip to FL even if it were here...

On the subject of diversity, I know you guys may be getting tired of hearing me say this, but........

Please do not refer to all (India)ns as Punjabis. That is comparable to the people of India referring to every single person in America as a Christian, or a Jehovah's Witness, or a Mormon (sp?). Punjabis are a specific subgroup of Indian people, with very specific beliefs and practices. Male Punjabis generally do not cut their hair; it is wound up in a turban. I'm not well versed in all their practices, but suffice it to say that my husband (from India) has much more in common with you than he has with a Punjabi. He has a sexy haircut, wears Levis, rugby shirts and Dockers, loves ribs and football, and runs the sound booth for worship services at our (Assembly of God) church. Yet he would be referred to by several on this forum as a Punjabi.

I don't mean to be whiney, and I certainly don't want to upset anyone. If it happens again, as I'm sure it will, I'm not going to be offended or anything. It's just that in this one area, maybe I can help us make our new neighbors feel a little more comfortable. East Indians, or simply Indians, is a better choice of words.

Thanks, guys.

Actually, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get it exactly right either (in my above post). Punjabis are merely Indians who reside in the state of Punjab. So, labeling all Indians as Punjabis is like labeling all Americans as Minnesotans. My confusion came from the fact that the state of Punjab is overwhelmingly made up of Sikhs, a religion or ethnicity of sorts; therefore the terms Punjabi and Sikh are somewhat synonymous among Indians.

:wacko: Am I making this clear as mud?

Actually, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get it exactly right either (in my above post). Punjabis are merely Indians who reside in the state of Punjab. So, labeling all Indians as Punjabis is like labeling all Americans as Minnesotans. My confusion came from the fact that the state of Punjab is overwhelmingly made up of Sikhs, a religion or ethnicity of sorts; therefore the terms Punjabi and Sikh are somewhat synonymous among Indians.

:wacko: Am I making this clear as mud?

Julles, I appreciate your clarification, as I've referred to "Punjabi" Indians as well.

Question: here in America we have American Indians who obviously are not from India yet are called "Indians" as well. What's the best way to, in writing, make a designation between the two? (For the moment, I'm calling those from India "(India)ns"...not as an insult, but as an important distinction between our American Indian friends who do indeed populate Benton and Washington Counties and heavily populate Oklahoma immediately to the west.)

Archived