Meadors is closing...what's next for the Carpenter Building?

StrangeCock

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new owner wants to turn it into a confectionary/ice cream store. I believe he plans on remodeling but keep the same charm. The plans won't go into effect until sometime next year. Since they don't want the community to be plagued with an empty store front in the meantime, they're going to keep a sandwich shop open until then. :thumbsup:

Now an old fashioned Sundae and Soda Jerk shop would be awesome there! Thanks for the 411!

On the way back from lunch today, I saw that the Main Street Meadors is closing.

Does anyone know what's going on? That is a PRIME location.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :o

I love Meador's I just sit in the front window some Saturdays, have lunch and watch the people. Hopefully it will still be conducive to just sitting and admiring courthouse square. :wub:

The new owner wants to turn it into a confectionary/ice cream store. I believe he plans on remodeling but keep the same charm. The plans won't go into effect until sometime next year. Since they don't want the community to be plagued with an empty store front in the meantime, they're going to keep a sandwich shop open until then. :thumbsup:

Thank you for that information, tr2greenville! It's very nice to hear that something attractive will take Meador's place in that old building. :)

Now I wonder if something will be done about the dispute/lawsuit over the Kimbrell's building so that progression can be made on the development around the same time as the Carpenter Brothers shop. :unsure:

Thanks for the info! This building is prefect for an ice cream store! Great woodwork on the bar inside! Will miss Meador's, but looking forward to the new place! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

There is an article in today's Greenville news about the sweet shop replacing Meadors'. Here's the link:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../510050328/1003

It basically confirms what was already posted on UP. :thumbsup:

Wow,

I figured that their building was one of the hottest properties downtown, but to double your investment in 3 years! Although, I don't know how much they spent for capital improvements.

Wow,

I figured that their building was one of the hottest properties downtown, but to double your investment in 3 years! Although, I don't know how much they spent for capital improvements.

Whatever renovations were made, they were in the store itself. The second story apartments were done by the previous owners, before Meadors. I got a tip on those apartments in my first week in Greenville. Too pricey for my budget then, about $1,000 a month back in '96.

Whatever renovations were made, they were in the store itself. The second story apartments were done by the previous owners, before Meadors. I got a tip on those apartments in my first week in Greenville. Too pricey for my budget then, about $1,000 a month back in '96.

$1000/mo in '96 was not chump change.

With that said, I can't imagine then that the improvements were extensive. All of the old display cases were still in place, so the only big ticket items may have been in the kitchen area.

The article says that they don't plan to change the building. Hopefully all of the cool antiques will still be on display. That was a big reason that I visited Meador's. It felt like I was stepping back in time. :wub:

Archived