Myers Ranch Development in Rogers

mcheiss

Not very many places in the United States are like Northwest Arkansas.

It's like we are a giant suburb without the downtown big city.

I totally agree. It is weird having most of the area feel like suburbs in many ways without having the big city. Although I think there are some areas that don't quite feel like suburbs. I guess Fayetteville is the one main city that has a bit of history to it and has some older neighborhoods and such. But most of the area does have that suburb feeling to it. Hopefully we will eventually get some more urban areas mixed in as well.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree. It is weird having most of the area feel like suburbs in many ways without having the big city. Although I think there are some areas that don't quite feel like suburbs. I guess Fayetteville is the one main city that has a bit of history to it and has some older neighborhoods and such. But most of the area does have that suburb feeling to it. Hopefully we will eventually get some more urban areas mixed in as well.

I think we will. We just need a large, (I'm mean large) master-plan project between the whole area, so that we would have land designated to Downtown Commercial, or Agriculture, or Residential Neighborhoods. Some areas, like some of Fayetteville and Pinnacle Hills in Rogers don't feel like suburbs, which is were I look to seeing the bulk of the "Urban Core Development" in the future. Those locations are on the map also for out of state investors.

• 3 months later...

Finally, this project is going before the Planning Commission this week for approval.

I can't wait to start seeing some more High Rises in Rogers.

I can hear rusty gears starting to spin. There aren't any highrise residentials in Rogers yet and this may just be the kickstart that's needed.

I still like the project, I just hope they change their mind on this dumb theme.

I don't know. A "theme" may not appeal to many people who can afford it but it sounds like they've built similar "themed" communities that were successful. The idea of an all-inclusive community appeals to me to help prevent sprawl. Similar communities are being built in the Vaughn area of Bentonville.

I don't know. A "theme" may not appeal to many people who can afford it but it sounds like they've built similar "themed" communities that were successful. The idea of an all-inclusive community appeals to me to help prevent sprawl. Similar communities are being built in the Vaughn area of Bentonville.

In a way, it is sprawl because they aren't working with other developers to create a downtown like enviroment. It's going to be a great start to the condo movement though.

In a way, it is sprawl because they aren't working with other developers to create a downtown like enviroment. It's going to be a great start to the condo movement though.

Yeah just having something to jumpstart the condo craze up there would be nice. :D

I guess you're right. Having a bunch of self-contained communities scattered all over the MSA fits the definition for Sprawl. I'd just rather see more self-contained communities than a bunch of shopping centers scattered all over the MSA. If more development would concentrate on downtowns as in Fayetteville then we may not end up a Sprawl. Bentonville has a great master plan for downtown, but Springdale and Rogers are letting their downtowns fade away.

I guess you're right. Having a bunch of self-contained communities scattered all over the MSA fits the definition for Sprawl. I'd just rather see more self-contained communities than a bunch of shopping centers scattered all over the MSA. If more development would concentrate on downtowns as in Fayetteville then we may not end up a Sprawl. Bentonville has a great master plan for downtown, but Springdale and Rogers are letting their downtowns fade away.

Bentonville has seen what sprawl can do and you are right because they do have a great downtown plan that seems to be working. Rogers is going to have to do something big, and I'm hoping that big thing will be the Light Rail project. We could really start to see development boom in the downtown area once the project gets up and running.

Yeah just having something to jumpstart the condo craze up there would be nice. :D

I think the best way to "jump start the condo craze" is to create or revitalize areas wherein condo living is desireable.

Successful condominium towers develop:

1) around nature areas, such as lakes or oceanfront.

2) within walking distance of cultural ammenities or "hip" street scenes.

I personally don't like the idea of the condos on the only nature feature, Beaver Lake, just because I appreciate the natural beauty of a resevoir surrounded by rolling green hills, and it seems that it would be an eyesore. They are being built to take advantage of a view, but imagine what the view would be if the entire lake were surrounded by condos.

You can throw a few condo towers up in fields in Benton County, and there's not going to be a single reason to live in one if your only view is of a freeway and a field, and if there are no ammenities to draw people in.

You can create a faux urban village (which has been quite successful in some areas of the country) and a few condo towers may pop up.

The reason condo development is starting to catch on in Fayetteville is because of access to the university, access to great restaurants and cultural ammenities downtown, and to some extent, sweeping mountain vistas to the south of downtown.

Benton County's best bet for condo development is on Beaver Lake *cringe* and in and around either downtown Bentonville (especially with the addition of Crystal Bridges) or a revitalized downtown Rogers.

• 5 months later...

I found this on Myer's Ranch Development website.

Entrance construction to begin end of June. Design includes a bear fountain, cougar statue, horse fencing, and extensive landscaping.

Financing is approved to build a 117 unit all-suites hotel on Lot 2.

Parkway Bank and Bank of the Ozarks well underway just to the north of our site. 250 luxury apartment units being built to the south begin site work.

^

Thanks for the video. I sure wish they would put in the towers and everything else that's suppose to be in this project.

I know. Even some rolling hills in the background would have been nice. I guess they didn't want to take attention away from their masterpiece of an entrance. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Recent update on the Myers Ranch website:

September 2006

Construction of the entry feature is well under way and should be done by the end of September.

Upscale Companies has been approved for a 155 unit upscale full service hotel to be built on Lot 3 of Myers Ranch.

Bank of the Ozarks is complete to the north of the development.

"J" Street north of Walton is under construction to five lanes.

The 250 unit "Big House" Apartments on the adjoining lot being built are in site-work.

Archived