Bikes, Blues, & BBQ Festival

Mith242

But keep in mind, Fayetteville, atleast southern Fayetteville, isnt a family area, except maybe the square, other than that it is still a college town, but i see tons of families go to BBBBQ every year, ive been going since i was a kid, and id always go to bike and car shows with my family when i was realy little and still do.

but i do agree with you, Fayetteville does need some more family friendly activities/ events.

BTW, not to get off subject, but have you noticed all of these national touring bands comming to our metro?

The radio has adds out all over the place, Young Joc, A platinum selling rapper, is comming to the springdale convention center tomorrow night, and tickets are 30 bucks, i hope all of this works out so we can keep getting exposure and a name for our selves as a tour friendly metro! :)

I think it's great that Fayetteville is attractive to all kinds of people and not just families, but I think Fayetteville should have the best of both worlds like Springfield, MO where there are a lot of family-friendly events and also adult-oriented events with a lot of different kinds of music scenes and clubs.

I hope you get some recognition for your band and BBBBQ may become a hot place for new music artists if it's not already.

Edensfall--this is a family area. We have the best public schools in the state and more than 60,000 people living here year-round. We outnumber the students but more than a three to one margin. Just look around at all the close-in neighborhoods where people own expensive homes. They aren't students! And try to get out in the Mission/Crossover area. There are tons of families out there in a very nice suburban area.

I don't think she meant Fayetteville is anti-family, but compared to places like Springfield, MO none of the cities in NWA are "very" family-oriented. That's not to say there aren't family-oriented events, just nothing the size of BBBBQ.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My nephew was telling me tonight that his band will be playing at a Bikes, Blues BBQ event of some kind in Fayetteville this month. I'm assuming it's connected to what you guys are talking about. He's in a blues band called Blindman's Peace; they're pretty good. We'll probably go check it out.

My nephew was telling me tonight that his band will be playing at a Bikes, Blues BBQ event of some kind in Fayetteville this month. I'm assuming it's connected to what you guys are talking about. He's in a blues band called Blindman's Peace; they're pretty good. We'll probably go check it out.

It's great that there are so many local bands and musicians here in NWA and I hope that some of them, including your nephew, get signed onto record labels. I'm actually surprised that there aren't many music stores in NWA as I work with a couple musicians who complain that they wish there was better stores than Siglers and Ben Jacks, although they'll choose Siglers over the latter.

Okay all, did you read the article in the times yesterday? Seems that BB& BBQ is not happy about the other event Ride-n-Boogie.....what is up with this? I would think that giving those in town something else to do while they are here would be a good thing for everyone concerned......

Okay all, did you read the article in the times yesterday? Seems that BB& BBQ is not happy about the other event Ride-n-Boogie.....what is up with this? I would think that giving those in town something else to do while they are here would be a good thing for everyone concerned......

The reason is two fold, firstly BB&BBQ has tried to remain as family friendly as possible and there is at least some indication that these other events won't be. Not a big deal in and of itself, but when one giant event is taking place and it has already spread beyond it's original borders it will be hard to identify exactly where one event ends and other starts. Many people would probably go back and forth without ever realizing that they are actually different things. People in charge of BB&BBQ worry about their name being tarnished because of what others are doing basically. The other reason is that the people in charge of the two events are diametrically opposed because of past political dealings, I won't get into too much, but suffice it to say that you should look into past public statements by our mayor, the current BB&BBQ administration, and the PAST BB&BBQ administration to see the political motivation behind this.

That having been said, I enjoy BB&BBQ and think it is great for the city, it always turns into a heck of a lot of personal time committment for my wife and myself, but it is good for the city. I have spoken to several people who first came to town for the festivall, saw how beautiful the area was, investigated the area, came back a few weeks later and saw how the area was even MORE beautiful (there aren't many places in the country that look nicer than the Ozarks in mid-October if the weather acts correctly and we have a stellar tree color change) thana before and decided to move here. Afterall, I personally finally sold my wife on the area after a beautiful visit in October 2001 and we haven't looked back since, but that is an entirely different story.

I don't think she meant Fayetteville is anti-family, but compared to places like Springfield, MO none of the cities in NWA are "very" family-oriented. That's not to say there aren't family-oriented events, just nothing the size of BBBBQ.

Thats exactly what im trying to say, but did you mean to type he? cuz im a dude hahaha, the name edensfall is an old band name :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Even the Postal Service is getting in on the BBB. Any mail going through the Dickson St Post Office during one of the days (not sure if it was Friday or Saturday) of the festival will be stamped with a special BBB marking other than the usual postal marking.

Even the Postal Service is getting in on the BBB. Any mail going through the Dickson St Post Office during one of the days (not sure if it was Friday or Saturday) of the festival will be stamped with a special BBB marking other than the usual postal marking.

That's kind of weird that the US Postal Service. I can see them endorsing the bikes, music and food, but the bikini contests and all the booze that goes with it seems an odd thing for a branch of the federal government to promote. But hey they fully endorse Mardi Gras don't they? :D

I haven't heard too many people estimates but I have heard mentioned that they are expecting over 100,000 bikes. This would place BBB only behind Sturgis and the Daytona in largest bike festivals. I'm not sure how much bigger it can get although it sounds like after this year Harley Davidson might officially endorse it which could possibly make it an even bigger event for next year.

I haven't heard too many people estimates but I have heard mentioned that they are expecting over 100,000 bikes. This would place BBB only behind Sturgis and the Daytona in largest bike festivals. I'm not sure how much bigger it can get although it sounds like after this year Harley Davidson might officially endorse it which could possibly make it an even bigger event for next year.

KNWA said they were expecting 350,000 people this year. They also said that yesterday (wednesday) was already busier than Thursday was last year. That sounds like a good start.

KNWA said they were expecting 350,000 people this year. They also said that yesterday (wednesday) was already busier than Thursday was last year. That sounds like a good start.

Definitely off to a good start. There were MANY more people here on Wednesday of this year than in years past. The vendors that I have on my property all were thrilled because they sold more on Wednesday this year than they had on Fridays of past years. I spoke with some of the Fayetteville Police last night and they stated that they were actually a little scared of what the crowds might be like on Friday and Saturday--likely far larger than they anticipated.

I don't want to get anyone mad at me or anything but I would like to put out an alternative POV on Bikes Blues and BBQ. Let me start by saying I have ridden motorcycles for 36 years, owned a bike shop at one time, and have done prize-winning restorations. I still have three bikes in garage. I love bikes. Blues--I can take or leave. I really love BBQ. But I hate this event. All the loud pipes (those who have them will tell you how that saves lives) I find really irritating. I live in town by College and Wilson Park and honestly, if I could, I'd leave town during this thing. It may bring a lot of money into the area so I guess that's good but it's three days of very loud, very disturbing bikes, with a lot of not-so-good BBQ, and a lot of posers who are trying to look like badasses who then get hurt on bikes they spent $20-$40K on and ride about twenty miles a year. There are always injuries and fatalities from idiots who drink and ride. I honestly wish this thing occurred in Ft. Smith.

We had friends who rode down here from MO and stayed at our house last year and I am going to encourage them to stay home this year because I don't want to be here.

:w00t:

mzweig, I saw last night on KNWA someone saying in a few years he thought this event would be "bigger than Sturgis".

-gulp!-

Stormchasr - on that same newscast they said this indeed is now the third biggest event as you mentioned.

(BTW, did you hear TWC saying that last week's severe weather at week's end has not officially set the record for "most tornadoes in a September weather event (in America)"?)

Definitely off to a good start. There were MANY more people here on Wednesday of this year than in years past. The vendors that I have on my property all were thrilled because they sold more on Wednesday this year than they had on Fridays of past years. I spoke with some of the Fayetteville Police last night and they stated that they were actually a little scared of what the crowds might be like on Friday and Saturday--likely far larger than they anticipated.

If I were the police, I'd be nervous of this weekend too. I heard on the radio that Drowning Pool is coming to Fayetteville Friday night, which should undoubtedly bring local young (under 40) people in to listen in addition to the bikers that like them.

Then of course, after they get slightly rested for BBB, there's going to be a huge concert on October the 3rd to give them a traffic mess and such to deal with. Fayetteville Police have to do more traffic work and crowd control than any other city this size I know of.

Stormchasr - on that same newscast they said this indeed is now the third biggest event as you mentioned.

(BTW, did you hear TWC saying that last week's severe weather at week's end has not officially set the record for "most tornadoes in a September weather event (in America)"?)

No, I guess I missed it, but I know that September is "second severe storm season." This has a few different factors. One is that it is the peak of Hurricane season and land falling hurricanes can spawn hundreds of them. Also we have the cold-dry air coming farther south and hitting the warm-moist air.

Sorry to get off topic guys. You know me and weather... :D

That would be tough since Sturgis had over 500,000 bikers last year.

Well, at the current growth rate it may only take a few more years. I can see it topping out just due to the lack of space, but I guess I can settle for being #2 behind Sturgis! One thing that we do have going for us is our geographic location. We are so centrally located that you can get here in under 2 days from almost anywhere in the US and southern Canada and there are thousands that come from Canada believe it or not.

mzweig, I saw last night on KNWA someone saying in a few years he thought this event would be "bigger than Sturgis".

-gulp!-

The constant noise of these loud Harleys is keeping my 5-month awake right now!

Archived