Coweta County Schools temporarily shut down

Newnan

Due to Hurricane Rita and the possible destruction of mant Texas Oil wells, Coweta county Schools will be cancelled On Monday the 26th, and Tuesday the 27th. I'm freaking out rigt now! What's going on with the gasoline? Are any other schools closing? How long will this last? What's happening??!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, that's right. It's because of gas prices, and we can thank Katrina and Rita (the hurricanes) for that.

Allow me to provide some background info on the subject. You see, Katrina pummeled an area of the Gulf of Mexico where we have several oil wells. Although I don't believe any were lost, they did have to be shut down because of the impending danger of Katrina. The same goes for these wells with Rita, only this time, the storm will be hitting the Capital of the USA's petrochemical industry, Houston, which will essentially cause a shut down of all oil companies' operations in the city and off the coast of the state. Which is why gas prices will be so high over the next few days.

Governor Purdue called all the Superintendants of the county (and independent city ones) school districts across the state to discuss this. It has been, as you said, called off for two days so that perhaps the energy used by parents and school buses to drop their kids off at school can hopefully be conserved. it will likely only be off until Wednesday.

School has been called off to hopefully conserve energy and gas. So, enjoy your day off!!!! I know I will. Of course, when the news comes during a school's Homecoming Pep Rally (like it did at my school), it only adds to the excitement.

This has been discussed at work nearly non-stop for the past hour. Another incredible example of how incompetent & idiotic our governor is. Perdue continues to hit new highs on his way to becoming Georgia's worst elected official, which is saying a lot.

He wants to be the 'proactive take a stand governor' so bad, that he announces publicity stunts like this & his gas tax break - merely band aids on an much larger injury that requires an operation. He refuses to aid MARTA, calling it a doomed irrelevant transportation mode, he announces to Atlanta that he will not be the 'sugar daddy' & we won't be expecting any additional transportation funds, he supports policies that jeopardize Atlanta's ability to be sustainable in the future, producing sprawl, air pollution, water pollution, decrease in agricultural lands, congestion that disrupts the economy, and an overall declining quality of life.

And then he announces in pompous fat self that he is encouraging school systems to close for two days next week, as our great champion - our Caesar!

I am at a loss how that fathead was elected.

This has been discussed at work nearly non-stop for the past hour. Another incredible example of how incompetent & idiotic our governor is. Perdue continues to hit new highs on his way to becoming Georgia's worst elected official, which is saying a lot.

Especially considering the man known as Lester Maddox.

He wants to be the 'proactive take a stand governor' so bad, that he announces publicity stunts like this & his gas tax break - merely band aids on an much larger injury that requires an operation. He refuses to aid MARTA, calling it a doomed irrelevant transportation mode, he announces to Atlanta that he will not be the 'sugar daddy' & we won't be expecting any additional transportation funds, he supports policies that jeopardize Atlanta's ability to be sustainable in the future, producing sprawl, air pollution, water pollution, decrease in agricultural lands, congestion that disrupts the economy, and an overall declining quality of life.

And then he announces in pompous fat self that he is encouraging school systems to close for two days next week, as our great champion - our Caesar!

I am at a loss how that fathead was elected.

You know, I support Perdue on almost every issue except for his policies on urbanity and how to deal with Atlanta. It's a good thing the capital is Atlanta. Let them (especially Perdue) figure out what a hell they will be creating if his plans go through. Such a stance would screw both ways of living, rural and urban.

His policies on urbanity create quite a contradiction for what he supports (sprawl and rural areas), but such is politics in the South. Apparently not many states her e(with the exception of Florida) seem to know how to handle a big city like Atlanta.

And if MARTA needs just one thing right now, it's for the state to fund it.

Archived