The Scripps Florida project

sunshine

Groundbreaking today at Scripps biotech village is start of long journey

Scripps Florida today ends a winding two-year path to an elusive milestone: starting construction on its campus in Palm Beach County's rural northwest.

Yet, don't expect medical cures and good jobs to start popping up like so many citrus trees on Mecca Farms, the one-time orange grove that will be home to Scripps Florida.

It likely will be years after today's groundbreaking ceremony before biotech companies and research institutions open offices alongside Scripps, let alone the high school, homes and shops envisioned in the sweeping $800 million project.

Scripps Florida already has about 130 employees working in temporary offices, but it will take decades for 44,000 jobs to ripple across Florida, as an economic adviser to Gov. Jeb Bush predicted in October 2003.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...mostemailedlink

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the university of miami is really fighting west palm beach hard,this week university of miami announced that they're first biotech building would be completed by the end of the year,the 15 story 300,000 sqft building in the civic center in miami,with the second phase a 12 story 200,000 sqft building to start immediately after those two were completed there masterplan would take into effect and they would start looking for private insitutions and business to occupy there next three buildings,they state that they're goal is to add over 1,5 million sqft of biotech space to the civic center and create more than 10,000 new jobs over the next decade.

No, although it is part of a greater movement to bring more biotechnology firms to Florida.

The Scripps Florida project is a move to build a campus on which they can expand and consolidate their projects and operations... right now they have a center on the FAU campus.

Im trying to figure the significance of the picture above to the subject. I was under the impression that was the Rural Northwest of PBC. But I see now, its probably a part of the University of Miami, correct?

The counties and municipalites in the South Florida region have an interlocal agreement that says they will not try to steal business away from each other. 'What's good for ___ city or county is good for the region.' For a while Miramar was luring businesses away from Miami-Dade and other parts of Broward, which is one of many factors that brought this agreement into being.

• 2 weeks later...

No, although it is part of a greater movement to bring more biotechnology firms to Florida.

The Scripps Florida project is a move to build a campus on which they can expand and consolidate their projects and operations... right now they have a center on the FAU campus.

The main difference is that U of Miami's research buildings are really quite similar to what's occurring on medical school campuses all over the country. In Little Rock and Dallas, the places I trained, we have had similar construction more often that not over the last decade. I did interview once at Jackson Memorial/UM and am pretty familiar with the campus. Virtually all of the research will be supported by NIH funding or other grants and it will help bring in well-educated professionals but not to bring in large private investment the way Scripps did.

The big difference is the private investment Scripps will ultimately bring in. It will be closely associated with a variety of spin-offs and established large private companies and private investment will flock there. Places like Atlanta and Dallas would do virtually anything to get an opportunity like this, it's amazing that some turned their nose up at it because it wipes out an orange grove that would've ended up being apartments or tract housing in a decade or two anyway.

Thanks for the insight!

My personal reservations on the site was its distance from transportation facilities -- having driven out there I can say that it is very far west of the Turnpike (about 8 miles) and very much removed from the urbanized area. I would have much preferred a site closer to the urbanized area, along the Turnpike or perhaps along 441/SR7.

With that said, what an amazing opportunity we have been afforded to diversify the South Florida economy.

Growth can be controlled through appropriate zoning and urban service boundaries. Hopefully county officials will be wise enough to implement these so that this area can grow appropriately and in an environmentally-friendly way.

Archived