EAST Providence renaissance

Cotuit

BUT, EP is activily working to turn it around.  My prediction is that once we get the infrastructure in place (which looks like it's going to start in the spring of 06) you will see lot's of activity and a huge interest in development along the water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really think EP has to do much, look at what's happenning in Providence, there is a demand for urban living, and EP has got P beat on the waterfront access. EP is working to steer development in an urban friendly direction, and that's really all they have to do, the developers will come.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think EP has to do much, look at what's happenning in Providence, there is a demand for urban living, and EP has got P beat on the waterfront access. EP is working to steer development in an urban friendly direction, and that's really all they have to do, the developers will come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The developers who have come to the city comment on how business friendly the city is with relatively little problems.

I just don't see it happening here. EP seems to be a breeding ground for elderly people. This town is definanetly not progressive. The city council is made up of old men with old ideas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... a breeding ground for the elderly.. :rofl: What a visual!! I always wondered what was going on at that senior center!!

Anyway, development is bound to happen in EP. The momentum and carry over from the new developments in Downcity, plus all that available frontage to the bay are bound to spur development.

Nay-saying and negativity is typical of Rhode Islanders, but it's sad. Its that "nothing good can happen here" attitude that has held Providence back for 30 or more years. I don't know why it's so widespread here, but I hear it all the time.

... a breeding ground for the elderly..    :rofl:  What a visual!!  I always wondered what was  going on at that senior center!!

Anyway, development is bound to happen in EP.  The momentum and carry over from the new developments in Downcity, plus all that available frontage to the bay are bound to spur development. 

Nay-saying and negativity is typical of Rhode Islanders, but it's sad.  Its that "nothing good can happen here" attitude that has held Providence back for 30 or more years.  I don't know why it's so widespread here, but I hear it all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but, let's face it, this town is so not happening! But I love the low crime rate. If you want action you have to go drink at Lee's Chineese's Restaurant or go to the Lincoln Bar.

Yeah but, let's face it, this town is so not happening! But I love the low crime rate. If you want action you have to go drink at Lee's Chineese's Restaurant or go to the Lincoln Bar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... nite life is not our strong suit, that's for sure. But I love that we are only 10 mins from all off it! :D

Nay-saying and negativity is typical of Rhode Islanders, but it's sad.  Its that "nothing good can happen here" attitude that has held Providence back for 30 or more years.  I don't know why it's so widespread here, but I hear it all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True... People, in general, hate change, especially in an area (especially in elderly areas) where people decided to live there precisely because it is sleepy and things don't change. This, regrettably, describes much of RI... Doesn't RI have the highest percentage of residents in a state that were born in that state or have multiple generations in a state? That's shocking, especially when that compares us to some of the static, inborn states in the Midwest like the Dakotas...

A question for all you EP'ers here: Looking at the "Northern gateway" of the waterfront on the map Cotuit posted, isn't most of that land already developed for exactly what the index says it should be? Are they proposing redeveloping that land for the same use? I'm confused... That's not exactly the hottest looking, most aesthetically pleasing area around, especially as a "gateway." Just what do they want to do there?

- Garris

I attended the Waterfront presentation some time ago (over a year now) and they showed a massive 4 lane divided boulevard separating the waterfront side from the Vets Memorial Parkway side of the waterfront, including giant traffic circles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, it's been a couple weeks since my last post. I'm sure you've missed me :D

Here's an upcoming project for I 195 in East Providence. The idea is to improve access to/from Vets Memorial Pkwy and the (hopefully soon to be built) Waterfront Drive. Right now DOT is reviewing designs and soliciting input. Construction is estimated to begin in 2009.

I know there's a lot of money involved, but wouldn't it have made sense to Relocate 195, Replace Washington Bridge AND build this improved access all at the same time??

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...26.69f0d90.html

Hi all, it's been a couple weeks since my last post. I'm sure you've missed me :D

I know there's a lot of money involved, but wouldn't it have made sense to Relocate 195, Replace Washington Bridge AND build this improved access all at the same time??

We miss everyone that takes a vacation from posting... The more the merrier!

Regarding the bridge and entrances, making sense is something I've never accused government agencies of doing... :whistling:

- Garris

Well, there's only so many construction crews to go around. Also, redesign of the East Providence interchange had to wait until East Providence decided where the new streets would go in the waterfront district.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Great article. It sounds like things will be moving slower than I had initially thought, though. I still am having difficulty picturing in my mind exactly what kind of community this will result in. Suburban? Quasi-urban? Urban?

Here was a piece of info I didn't know: "The Tockwotton Home has purchased land to relocate to our waterfront [from Providence]. …"

That's interesting for Fox Point. The Tockwotton Home is in a big, beautiful building on East St (South of Wickenden) overlooking the bay. I wonder what will become of it?

- Garris

That was my immediate thought before I scrolled down and saw your post. Though it is a bit out of the way of their main campus.

But didn't Brown have an interest in the Radisson Hotel a few years ago? I remember East siders being against turning that property into dorms.

Archived