EAST Providence renaissance

Cotuit

Tockwotten Home moves a step closer to East Providence

After 2 years, they decided to move the building farther north on its 11.2 acre parcel near Veterans Memorial Parkway because they could no longer wait for high-power transmission lines, which cross its waterfront site, to be buried underground. Construction could begin as early as early as next spring with a scheduled opening in the fall of 2009

• 4 months later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what's going on with the Ames Plaza (used to be Zayers) on the corner of Taunton Ave and Pawtucket Ave? There's a Shaw's & CVS, with a Hollywood Video on the front Pad. I noticed that the Ames section of the plaza was demolished this week.

Any idea if something new is going to be built there? :hi:

AmesEP.jpg

I also heard a rumor at Christmas Eve dinner that a new Super Stop & Shop is going to be built across the street from the new Super Shaw's in what is currently a Savers(I think), Eye World, etc. But that seems a bit far fetched given the proximity of Shaws, and the S&S in Seekonk and on Newport Ave in Rumford/Pawtucket.

I also heard a rumor at Christmas Eve dinner that a new Super Stop & Shop is going to be built across the street from the new Super Shaw's in what is currently a Savers(I think), Eye World, etc. But that seems a bit far fetched given the proximity of Shaws, and the S&S in Seekonk and on Newport Ave in Rumford/Pawtucket.

I heard the same rumor. It was said that Stop & Shop actually owns the land, which may make sense since they use to have a store there many years ago.

Is that the plaza with Marshall's? It's across the street from one of the worst Shaw's (by no means a Super Shaw's). I would love to see a Super SS or Super Shaw's in that area. I avoid that Shaw's like the plague.

Is that the plaza with Marshall's? It's across the street from one of the worst Shaw's (by no means a Super Shaw's). I would love to see a Super SS or Super Shaw's in that area. I avoid that Shaw's like the plague.

The Stop & Shop on Newport ave is 100% closing. A newer one was just built about two to three years ago on Cottage street in Pawtucket. As for the Shaws over there in EP, the only one that I've seen worse in the one in Riverside.

The Stop & Shop on Newport ave is 100% closing. A newer one was just built about two to three years ago on Cottage street in Pawtucket. As for the Shaws over there in EP, the only one that I've seen worse in the one in Riverside.

Word on the street is that a Super Wal-Mart is going into that plaza where the S&S is closing.

Also, the Job Lot in the neighboring plaza is closing because their lease wasn't renewed. Not sure what is going over there.

Word on the street is that a Super Wal-Mart is going into that plaza where the S&S is closing.

Also, the Job Lot in the neighboring plaza is closing because their lease wasn't renewed. Not sure what is going over there.

Here is old news, but in case it isn't common knowledge ... The Pep Boys on Newport Ave is in the final stages of closing also. Seems like a lot of stores are closing in this area.

As for the Super Stop & Shop coming to the Plaza across from Shaws, that makes perfect sense. They tried to buy a parcel of land from PCD a few years ago, but the proposed traffic patterns and zoning in that area was an issue so the deal fell through.

Any idea when the Newport Ave. SS is closing? I go to that often as it is closest to me.

Other places that have closed recently in this area - Bertucci's, Wendy's, Roast House (fire).

• 1 year later...

The new Stop & Shop opens Friday of next week, October 23rd. The store hours will be Mon-Sat 6am-mid, Sunday 7am-9pm. Not a 24hr store. I don't think this is a super store.

Stop & Shop

1925 Pawtucket Ave

East Providence, RI 02914

401-431-0450

• 4 years later...

Archived