10 Main Going Condo?

HKG

Several friends told me last week to pack my bags, 10 Main is going condo. I received a letter from Blair Tower with the subject line "we hear you have to move???" Anyone know specifics (not rumors) about this? For those unfamiliar with 10 Main, it's one a few remaining apartment buildings in downtown Memphis proper. Certainly the nicest. Many apartments down here have gone condo.

If all the apartments in downtown Memphis are converted, I predict a downward spiral for condo sales. I suspect that people would like to "try out" living downtown before pumping $200k into a 1500 square foot condo with no yard.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several friends told me last week to pack my bags, 10 Main is going condo. I received a letter from Blair Tower with the subject line "we hear you have to move???" Anyone know specifics (not rumors) about this? For those unfamiliar with 10 Main, it's one a few remaining apartment buildings in downtown Memphis proper. Certainly the nicest. Many apartments down here have gone condo.

If all the apartments in downtown Memphis are converted, I predict a downward spiral for condo sales. I suspect that people would like to "try out" living downtown before pumping $200k into a 1500 square foot condo with no yard.

The tax incentive financing on all those properties is expiring. The financing was only available for rental units. That's why everything's being converted.

The five year tax incentive plays well into the rumor. I think 10 Main was finished in 2000, and 2005 would obviously be the year the incentive fades. Echelon was finished in 1999 or 2000, no? Truly, the push for condos has made rental living in downtown Memphis proper harder to come by. Guess we'll have to wait for one of the new tower projects, if they ever break ground.

This may not be as bad as you think. With interest rates as low as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if condo payments wouldn't be any higher than apartment rent. And you get the income tax deduction plus a possible increase in equity if you buy.

Sleepy;

That looks like the old Chicago Title Building. Using my old memory cells, that sounds like the right address too.

Originally it was built in 1904 as the Memphis Trust Building according to Emporis. I don't have a clue what it ended up as.

Smithsonian pic from 1906, with the Porter Building in the background:

original.jpg

Originally it was built in 1904 as the Memphis Trust Building according to Emporis. I don't have a clue what it ended up as.

Smithsonian pic from 1906, with the Porter Building in the background:

original.jpg

Thanks Sleepy. It is the same building. It was the Chicago Title Building, or at least their name was on it during the late 60's early 70's.

Archived