CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Since major changes are coming to this block, I thought we should have a Construction Thread for the whole Block. Recent news tells us that monies have been approved for the Piazza Bergamo Redevelopment including tearing down the bridge building, also the paper tells us that the design for the redevelopment of the Bank of America building has been approved.

Furthermore, my dad tells me he heard on the radio this morning that next weekend that young fashions is being torn down so that work can begin on the Pizza @ Bergamo and it is only a matter of time before things get figured out with Woolworth's and my guess that destruction of the BofA garage isn't to far off either.

Anybody want to volunteer to take the before photos of this block, we need some from Main St., Washington St. and River St. (or Richardson, what ever it is called at that block)?

I'll see if I can did any of the old renderings for the new work.

• 2 weeks later...

It was in the Newspaper a while back. After TIC bought the building there was an article about how they were going to renovate the building. It also had a picture of four midrise buildings that would use the space created from demolition of the Garage. The Garage in question is the one on the left. Becuase of the large city Garage on the right they don't need there's. Also, the portion of garage that is located within BofA will be converted to office space.

Does anyone know what the renovations will consist of? I would love to see the exterior improved from the drab '70's architecture by at least having a unique roof put on it. With BofA's signature architecture in the past, can we expect some drastic improvements to the exterior or does BofA not really have much of a say in what happens?

Regardless, the building will be improved and the parking garage will free up street-level space as well as add office space on the bottom of the BofA building. Awesome! :)

First off, sorry my last photo was so large. It was much smaller on the site I snatched it from. And I let Photobucket resize these, sorry they are not all the same size.

This morning I had some time to burn before a meeting downtown so I took some "before" photos of the block of this discussion.

This is the Woolworth's building as seen from the across the intersection. Eventually if Pavillion Group can aquire all of the shares of this building or joint venture agreements with the other owners we may see this building come down.

Woolworths.jpg

This is the Young Fashions building, it should be coming down soon so that the Plaza @ Bergam, whose rendering can be seen above, can be built.

Young_Fashions.jpg

This is the Piazza Bergamo and it's Bridge Building, the Bridge Building is coming down along with Young Fashions as part of the Plaza @ Bergama project.

Bridge_Building.jpg

This is the GQ Fashions Building next to Woolworth's. I do not know the status of this structure. I assuem that through all this it will come down as well.

GQ_Fashions.jpg

This is the vacant lot between GQ Fashions and Young Fashions, I speculate that this will be developed in conjunction with one of the projects on this block. Also notice the BofA parking Garage in the background, that garage is to be torn down as well to make room for 4 new mixed use structures on that corner of the block.

AlleyGarage.jpg

Edited by Brad Toy

Does anyone know what the renovations will consist of? I would love to see the exterior improved from the drab '70's architecture by at least having a unique roof put on it. With BofA's signature architecture in the past, can we expect some drastic improvements to the exterior or does BofA not really have much of a say in what happens?

Regardless, the building will be improved and the parking garage will free up street-level space as well as add office space on the bottom of the BofA building. Awesome!

According to the report we read in the Greenville Journal last week, several officials from the City are meeting behind closed doors this week to dicuss the future of the BOA tower. I would like to think that an exterior renovation would be included, but one can only hope. :)

Brad, thank you for the explanations and documented photos of this block. :thumbsup: This will be a major transformation!

The fact that those buildings will probably be gone next time I come to greenville brings a smile to my face!!

:D

The first time I walked main street with my girlfriend I had to convince her to keep going past that area by saying "it gets cool again" farther down the road. Can't wait to see that block developed!!!

The first time I walked main street with my girlfriend I had to convince her to keep going past that area by saying "it gets cool again" farther down the road.

:rofl: I always try to turn my guest attention to the other side of the street with Venti, The Diner, Trio, etc.

According to the report we heard, the bridge is to stay, but the stairs will be removed. I'm pretty sure cbpresident also said this awhile back. I've been really excited about this project. It will add to the great lifestyle experience in the heart of downtown. :)

Originally that is what I had heard as well, but more recently I heard the whole building is to come down. I wish I could remember where I heard that so I can look it up. I like it and kinda want the building to stay my self. But I think removing it would help them expand the plaza, make it look larger.

Edited by Brad Toy

Originally that is what I had heard as well, but more recently I heard the whole building is to come down. I wish I could remember where I heard that so I can look it up. I like it and kinda want the building to stay my self. But I think removing it would help them expand the plaza, make it look larger.

I THOUGHT that Cbpresident said it was going. I think it should go, it will open up the area a lot and the courtyard area beyond this building is pretty nice.

I think it should go as well. The courtyard would be so much more inviting and accessable if that bridge building weren't there.

I still think this entire plaza should be completely re-worked to include as its centerpiece an interactive water fountain (similar to the one at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta) for kids to play in during the summer ... but one which can also be readily converted into an ice rink during the winter months as well ... for year round enjoyment. B)

I think it should go as well. The courtyard would be so much more inviting and accessable if that bridge building weren't there.

I still think this entire plaza should be completely re-worked to include as its centerpiece an interactive water fountain (similar to the one at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta) for kids to play in during the summer ... but one which can also be readily converted into an ice rink during the winter months as well ... for year round enjoyment. B)

I like that idea RT.

Excellent Idea!

Isn't there a plan to put at least a temporary ice rink in the Piazza?? Anyone know about that?

Isn't there a plan to put at least a temporary ice rink in the Piazza?? Anyone know about that?

There had been a plan for a temporary rink in the grassy area outside the Mast General Store either last winter or the winter before that. It never materialized as far as I know though. I'm not sure if the person(s) that proposed this went back to the drawing board or gave up altogether. This particular plan, though, is why I think it would be a good idea to have the ability to convert a fountain into a rink during the winter. I'd personally love to see it. Can you imagine the holiday shopping downtown with an ice rink available? B)

Heck - if Downtown Disney West Side in Orlando can do it, then I know Greenville can. :whistling:

All for this! :thumbsup: