CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Any disappointment that anyone is experiencing is our faults. Speculation has been driven by us, the public, and rumors have run wild. This is the project, not what we've cooked up in our heads. Take it, and move on.

If you read each members post history you can also expect that certain naysayers will always be naysayers. If Target had gone downtown, it would have been too cheap and big box, with Anthropologie, it's too expensive and not broad enough in appeal. A hotel..."why does downtown need more rooms?" No hotel....."what, downtown needs more rooms." A high end Mexican place like Rosa Mexicano and "people wouldn't have paid the price", a cheap local Mexican place and "why can't we get better Mexican food"........You chuckle and move on. :lol:

As regards Anthropologie, this would have been a win at Haywood (by the way, check the Haywood Mall thread and who posted in December 2010 that Anthropologie was seriously looking at Greenville :ph34r: ).....it is a HUGE win in downtown. Check their store location list and see how many Southeast cities, number one, even have an Anthropologie, and number two, have one downtown and not in a suburban mall. You'll be shocked.

With a good deal of additional retail space in this development in current negotiations, expect some more great names. :yahoo:

I think the Mall/Suburban mindset is being used here, which is not relevant to this situation.

Typically, a mall needs anchor department stores in order to attract shoppers.

Downtown already has 'anchors' such as the Hyatt, the Peace Center, Piazza Bergamo (when re-done), 100+ restaurants/bars, Falls Park, etc.

People are already drawn to the area, while they are there, they will stop in to Anthropolgie, while strolling in DT, just as they would when strolling between department stores in an enclosed mall.

On another point, men will shop there, because most men have a mother/sister/GF/wife to buy gifts for.

BTW, the loudest applause of the announcement was for Anthroplogie, BY FAR, compared to the Centus announcement or the developer, mayor and other dignitaries.

^ Great post!

Additionally, Anthropologie offers home/gift.

Also, for anyone interested in demographics and spending patterns, retail sales are driven by women/girls and gay men. Straight men come in last, in dollars spent. So, the fact Anthropologie caters to women (clothing) and women / gay men (home).....says a lot. Says to many that Greenville IS growing up....growing beyond the good old boy Bass Pro mentality.

Many may also want to check out the incredible year over year increases of the Urban Outfitters company (Anthropologie owner) as well as the interesting and forward thinking thoughts of their CEO, Glen Senk, an openly gay man. The company's whole belief on LEED / green / sustainable building practices are worth reading about as well.

Yep, seems to most, this company landing in downtown Greenville makes a pretty big statement......

I think people need to stop complaining and instead start thanking the city and developers for bringing this major project to downtown Greenville during one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression. $100 million is nothing to sneeze at. :)

We're not complaining, just discussing. This is a big event, no doubt. Downtown will benefit, especially if they design the plaza right. The rendering of what Laurens Street could become is just as exciting to me. Even if I'm lukewarm on Anthropologie, additional retail on Main is also a good addition. Maybe they'll last, maybe something else will replace them. As long as the infrastructure is there, there can be evolution of the tenants. So, yes, cheers to the city for making this happen.

If you read each members post history you can also expect that certain naysayers will always be naysayers. If Target had gone downtown, it would have been too cheap and big box, with Anthropologie, it's too expensive and not broad enough in appeal. A hotel..."why does downtown need more rooms?" No hotel....."what, downtown needs more rooms." A high end Mexican place like Rosa Mexicano and "people wouldn't have paid the price", a cheap local Mexican place and "why can't we get better Mexican food"........You chuckle and move on. :lol:

Hey, I represent that! (Why CAN'T we get good Mexi... ah, never mind.) :rolleyes:

Being a proud nay-sayer, I've had a chance to reflect on The One. After all the hype of the "signature tower" and wild speculation, I was expecting a Burj-Al-Greenville with the Mall of America tucked between the 80th and 100the floors. Imagine my dissapointment!

Now I look at The One as being WONDERFUL. Look at what it replaces. Look at what it offers. Look at the jobs. Look at the future possibilities! Yeah, shoot, I'm going to have to pack up the Nays (for now, mind you) on this and risk a momentary smile.

Just don't get used to the rosey outlook. The day's still young! shades.gif

That seems like a long time. Lol. Maybe River Walk will be getting vertical by then.

Really? That is only 12 to 18 months at the most, which is fairly quick in my book. RiverWalk should definitely be complete before the first phase of ONE. Hopefully this excitement over new office development in downtown will translate into other residential projects moving forward. I'm thinking about phase 2 of The Bookends, expansion of RiverPlace, and The Pinnacle on Main.

Here's a great pdf file of the rendering: http://www.hsblawfir...1/media.681.pdf

Official news releases-

City: http://www.greenvill.../ONERelease.pdf

HSB: http://www.hsblawfir...s.php?NewsID=88

Certus: http://www.certusban...new-one-project

GADC: http://www.greenvill..._greenville.pdf

Edited by citylife

"Don't hate...appreciate"-

Hughes said he expects the retail portion of the development to fill up.

“We’ve gotten enough unsolicited expressions of interest to fill it up twice,” he said. “Anthropologie sets a great tone.”

White said he expects Anthropologie to attract other national retailers and authentic local shops.

“You don’t want the King Street affect where the national chains drive out the local shops,” White said, referring to one of Charleston’s main streets for shopping.

Source: http://www.journalwa...n-street-rising Another good article on the project here also: http://www.journalwa...-square-project

Edited by citylife

I apologize about all of the double and triple posts. I believe that's been rectified.

As far as the rendering, I was a little confused by it at first, but I think it's meant to give us more of an idea of the spacing and density of the project as opposed to actual design. With that said, this will definitely give great density for its location. It reminds me a little of the Metropolitan Midtown development just outside uptown Charlotte.

The statement about the office tenant that it's something that you'd expect in Charlotte seemed a bit misleading. I was thinking more along the lines of a F1000 company or the North American headquarters of a global company since SC already supports banks the size of Certus, but it's a great coup for downtown nonetheless. I saw the economic development announcement about the bank having acquired a few failed banks here in Georgia a few days ago but didn't expect it to be the main office tenant.

As far as Anthropologie, of course it's niche retail but it undeniably sets a higher bar for retail in downtown. Yes, you want to guard against the "King Street-ization" of Main Street, but seeking a good balance between local and national retail is something that can be done and I'm sure Greenville will find that balance.

I'm ready to see detailed architectural renderings and steel start to go up. :thumbsup:

The second building.....Erwin Penland......anyone else heard the rumor? It was hot talk today....

I have not heard that, but a high profile and centralized downtown location makes sense for them. Aren't they currently spread out in several different locations? I know Fluor is like that, but I was thinking Erwin-Penland is too...

I have not heard that, but a high profile and centralized downtown location makes sense for them. Aren't they currently spread out in several different locations? I know Fluor is like that, but I was thinking Erwin-Penland is too...

Most definitely. They're in their two Broad Street buildings and the SunTrust building, I believe. They'd be a good one! Plus, their current spaces would probably work well for some smaller businesses given the floor plate sizes. If they were landed for it, I think we'd definitely see things start moving on phase two sooner rather than later...

The location of the second "tower" is going to have the same effect as the Bookends on McBee the way it sits on the street. I like it!

Can't wait to see Erwin Penland continue to grow - a high-profile advertising agency/showcase gallery on Main would be fantastic! EP occupies the bottom floor of the Suntrust building in addition to the two brick buildings adjacent. They're booming and according to those within EP , they're ripe for another expansion soon...

Edited by furman94

This is an upscale, national retailer. The first one in SC outside of Myrtle Beach. It's a bigger deal than getting Mast General in 2003 was. Not to mention, that there are two other retail spaces available. We all know that national retailers 'follow the leader'.

Just because you personally don't shop there, doesn't mean it isn't significant.

Agreed. I have never set foot in an Anthropologie, being a guy, but it is a store in the Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom wing of SouthPark, and it's thus I'd guess an upscale chain, which means that it wouldn't have located downtown unless downtown has the demographics to support it. Vicupstate is 100% right. Now that it's "broken the ice" by coming downtown, I'd guess that downtown would now be a place that other upscale national chains would at least consider.

I think that this is great news, with retail + office!

Really? That is only 12 to 18 months at the most, which is fairly quick in my book. RiverWalk should definitely be complete before the first phase of ONE. Hopefully this excitement over new office development in downtown will translate into other residential projects moving forward. I'm thinking about phase 2 of The Bookends, expansion of RiverPlace, and The Pinnacle on Main.

lol, you said the P word.