CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Not sure what type of campus the Moore School will possibly be at this time. Waiting for more information to become available.

Full package now available: http://www.greenvill...hMainStreet.pdf Nine story building will be 151 feet tall it looks like.

Isn't 151 feet tall for a nine story building? Isn't the Daniel Building just over 300 feet and it is 25 stories? Do you know if this will be a steel or concrete structure. I assume the plans in the link are for phase 1 and 2?

Because Carolina's MBA program, which is what would be in Greenville, is well regarded. Not that I put too much stock in educational rankings because they are easily manipulated but, for those that are so inclined, Carolina's Masters Programs do very well.

Obviously, BUT you have another very well respected, if not more respected, Masters program already in Clemson's operations here. Two could be great, but I question the demand vs. cost to the state.

But, keep in mind, we don't know the scope of this at all right now. So, it may or may not even compete with Clemson's MBA offering. It might be entirely different...?

The Moore School for downtown Greenville is slated to be a satellite campus.

Isn't 151 feet tall for a nine story building? Isn't the Daniel Building just over 300 feet and it is 25 stories? Do you know if this will be a steel or concrete structure. I assume the plans in the link are for phase 1 and 2?

Yes it is. The floors are going to have high ceilings. For example, the first floor will be 20 feet tall. The Daniel/Landmark building has a height of 305 feet. I'm guessing it will be a concrete structure but that's only a guess. It looks like they're just asking for DPC building approval for phase 1 right now. If the rumors are true though, phase 2 won't be far behind.

Edited by citylife

Obviously, BUT you have another very well respected, if not more respected, Masters program already in Clemson's operations here. Two could be great, but I question the demand vs. cost to the state.

But, keep in mind, we don't know the scope of this at all right now. So, it may or may not even compete with Clemson's MBA offering. It might be entirely different...?

I think "more respected" is debatable. But, we'll leave that argument for another place, no need in starting a Clemson-Carolina debate in this thread.

I would be surprised if Carolina takes real estate in Greenville considering they are building a $100m business school in Columbia. In addition, the University is working on a new/renovated law school which will also could approach $85-100m. Not sure where the extra money would come from considering these two projects.

I would be surprised if Carolina takes real estate in Greenville considering they are building a $100m business school in Columbia. In addition, the University is working on a new/renovated law school which will also could approach $85-100m. Not sure where the extra money would come from considering these two projects.

Projects like this don't happen over night. If it's truly happening, then the school would've had it in the works for a while, much like the other projects. Money would've been considered long before now. We'll have to wait and see...

Clemson only offers an MBA, while Moore may offer an MBA they would also offer for sure a Masters in International Business which makes sense for the upstate. Also wouldn't be surprised if they offered a Masters in Finance.

Enough with the Clemson / Carolina garbage. Any state University offering Grad level education in Saucer City is fantastic. (And let's not forget that we already have a well-respected Purple University near Traveler's Rest!)

So, can we now get back to bashing each other's opinion about The One, instead of bashing each other's alma maters?rolleyes.gif

There are three sites USC is looking at downtown from what i'm hearing through the rumor mill: RiverWalk, Bowater building, and ONE/Washington Square. If they locate in the Bowater building then Clemson will be relocating to ONE/Washington Square.

So, can we now get back to bashing each other's opinion about The One, instead of bashing each other's alma maters?rolleyes.gif

Sure....it's too tall, too short, too wide, too skinny, not energy efficient enough, too much energy efficiency, there's no spire, that thing on top isn't a spire?, not enough retail space, too much retail space, wrong tenants, right tenants, where's the bookstore?, what's a bookstore?; I have an iPad, Anthropologie will cause all of the local tenants in downtown to close, more local tenants will open downtown thanks to Anthropologie, the colors aren't right, the colors are perfect, etc. :cry:

Edited by citylife

Not sure if they had that when I went and spoke with them, then MBA was only option, but doesn't change things because I was looking for something I could get while still working and taking classes in France would make that difficult. BTW, I got my undergrad from Clemson, love the school. But I would really like it if I could get a more specialized business masters in Greenville while continuing to work and I am hoping either Clemson's Greenville Campus one day fulfills that or Moore does.

Did anyone else read about the conversion of Coffee Street into a "pedestrian gateway" between Main and Brown? This is a great idea, in my opinion.

I agree that this is quite possibly one of the greatest elements of the Piazza/immediate area re-do. Coffee is a really great street as is, but the steps that take you underground and over the lower portions really eat into the sidewalk/walking space. I'd hate to see parking removed on the street, but something to help the sidewalk situation would be a big improvement/more enticing environment for pedestrians. I'd support anything that could be an effective remedy. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think the "One" project will actually get under way before the end of July? I'm thinking with the recent article about the sewer system downtown this project will be delayed for some time. Thoughts?

Well, the DPC meeting is set for tomorrow. And, the building wouldn't affect the sewer system until water and such is in use in the building, which is not going to be when construction starts. The project probably wouldn't need sewer access until a few months into 2012 or so? Thus, if work needs to be done, there's time.

Edit: Of course, it would need to go ahead and be hooked into the City's system, but it would not be adding to its capacity until utilities are actually running in the completed or nearly completed building.

Edited by GvilleSC

Do you think the "One" project will actually get under way before the end of July? I'm thinking with the recent article about the sewer system downtown this project will be delayed for some time. Thoughts?

Yes I believe it will start construction before the end of July and no I don't think the project will be delayed due to the sewer line. Here's why according to that Greenville News article:

Near One, the city has applied to the Greenville Water System for a grant worth about $260,000 that would fund the sewer upgrades, said Sudduth, who also sits on the water system’s board.

The city and developers aren't going to risk losing a new major bank headquarters downtown over a sewer line that can easily be expanded in time to support this new mixed use development. :thumbsup: They'll find the money if they have to. Remember it's Hughes were talking about here not Bob Ellis or Mark Kent. :lol: You don't have to worry about this project getting put on hold. Sounds like the financing package is complete from TD Bank/GNMO and the construction contractor (Brasfield and Gorrie) has been hired also.

Edited by citylife

*rant

And here comes the "taking away public space" junk again from the naysayers. I definitely don't agree with this citizen: http://www2.wspa.com/news/community-watchdog/2011/jun/13/3/greenville-residents-business-owners-speak-out-aga-ar-1968203/ We went through this once before with another Hughes project on Court Street. Remember that one and how it turned out? :wacko: A nine story building is considered massive? :blink: Oh and no setbacks? You mean that four story portion of the nine story building along Main Street isn't a setback? Where do people come up with this stuff? I can't believe how many NIMBY's there are regarding this project. The same people complaining that there is nothing getting built on site are the same ones complaining about this project that will get built on site. Jeez...can't make people happy either way it seems. I'm willing to give up some of the Piazza Bergamo space for 350 new high-paying jobs and a corporate headquarters thank you very much. :D

*end rant

Edited by citylife

I think they should definitely offset the "highrise" portion of phase two and add floors. Phase one appears to be offset enough. The design will (hopefully) be more appealing than the lone rendering indicates and will undoubtedly be a welcome addition to the cityscape. It isn't what I had hoped for, but it is far better than nothing or even the former buildings.

I am amazed by the viscousness of the criticism directed toward an individual for merely voicing his opinions. He may be needlessly worried about the project's size, but he does have a worthy point to consider regarding the dominating second phase as shown in the rendering. As I said earlier, it would be nice to see the taller portion set back from the sidewalk and more floors added. His concern about the project's encroachment onto the plaza is a bit silly, in my opinion, considering the City's plans to completely renovate the plaza and create a uniquely integrated public space that will actually be utilized again. I am glad he is advocating for the public (and his own personal interests), but I hope he will eventually learn to love the benefits of living across from the largest private investment ever developed in the history of Greenville's downtown.

• Like 1

They neglect to mention that while the new building is taking up a portion of the existing plaza space, the development is giving up property in other areas to make the plaza bigger. In the end the plaza space will be the same, if not larger. My only complaint about the development is the heavy use of precast concrete panels. I would have hoped that the building would have a little more architectural interest.

I am amazed by the viscousness of the criticism directed toward an individual for merely voicing his opinions. He may be needlessly worried about the project's size, but he does have a worthy point to consider regarding the dominating second phase as shown in the rendering. As I said earlier, it would be nice to see the taller portion set back from the sidewalk and more floors added. His concern about the project's encroachment onto the plaza is a bit silly, in my opinion, considering the City's plans to completely renovate the plaza and create a uniquely integrated public space that will actually be utilized again. I am glad he is advocating for the public (and his own personal interests), but I hope he will eventually learn to love the benefits of living across from the largest private investment ever developed in the history of Greenville's downtown.

Here's the thing though: we have no idea what tower two is going to look like. We understand that the massing is probably going to be similar to the rendering, as they wanted that to be approved. However, it still stands with the possibility of being changed.

I think the main focus of the setback guideline is to prevent vertical lines like you experience at the McBee Bookend (which on McBee does not bother me). However, when it's the short end of the rectangular tower along Main, it's very minimal of an impact. Think: Poinsett Hotel, where maybe only 30 linear feet rises 12 stories or so directly on the sidewalk. It has never hindered my experience, and I think a main reason for that is the canopy that keeps you in scale against the building. Here's the point I'm trying to make: with material use and proper pedestrian aims, such a rising wall's impact against the sidewalk can be diminished.

Oh, and this man's "partner" is Heidi Aiken according to Sky's link. I can't wait for the City's unveiling of the Piazza plans and her "Save the Grass" campaign to come back. If they don't want to live near a highrise, tell them to move to the West End. Or Simpsonville. :thumbsup:

Oh, and this man's "partner" is Heidi Aiken according to Sky's link.

Well, well, that just tells me all I need to know.

Maybe Certus Bank will put big 1 story high letters running up the side of the building to spell CERTUS. Maybe they'll blink on and off every second, all night long. Maybe they'll put chimes in the plaza that ring at 4:00 AM every morning. Maybe Anthropologie will play roaring loud music on outdoor speakers. Maybe the city will approve all this. Maybe Heidi & Co will move.....

:rofl:

Oh, and this man's "partner" is Heidi Aiken according to Sky's link.

Well, well, that just tells me all I need to know.

Maybe Certus Bank will put big 1 story high letters running up the side of the building to spell CERTUS. Maybe they'll blink on and off every second, all night long. Maybe they'll put chimes in the plaza that ring at 4:00 AM every morning. Maybe Anthropologie will play roaring loud music on outdoor speakers. Maybe the city will approve all this. Maybe Heidi & Co will move.....

:rofl: