CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Regardless of how stupid he is, legal action could cause a long delay and eventually kill this project. Unbelievable.

John Castille was quoted tonight on channel 4 as saying they were reviewing deed restrictions before entering into a developement agreement. He "hopes" to have an agreement within 30 days, so like I oriiginally thought, there is no way this project gets underway in July.

On the 93.7 news this morning, Heidi Aiken referred to a 'large' group of people that were opposed to this. Also, she did not disclose her involvement to this particular news item.

From what I hear, Anthony Conway has future political desires and views this as a way to get name recognition. Heidi, naturally, is helping fan the flames (she apparently took "Stirring 101" in college).

It's really a shame that a SMALL group of individuals are making a mountain out of a tiny hill.

Edited by gsupstate

On the 93.7 news this morning, Heidi Aiken referred to a 'large' group of people that were opposed to this. Also, she did not disclose her involvement to this particular news item.

I would love to know who this large group is because the only people I have seen against the project are her and Mr. Conway. Hmmm....

As an actual resident of the City, and a frequent user of downtown, I'd like to state that he does NOT represent my interests.

DITTO. Who ARE these people? No one I've ever talked to or heard from. Everyone I've talked to is excited that THIS is what's happening with that parcel, excited that a credible developer with a proven track record is behind it, excited about the tenants (Anthropologie in particular), and excited with the general size, height and impact of the project.

The guy has a right to represent his own interests, but that doesn't mean we should allow it to affect outcomes.

DPC has approved phase I of the project in a vote of 3-2. Oh and received these from somebody I know at TIC Properties earlier today:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

As a former resident of the city and very infrequent user of downtown, I'd like to say that my interests don't matter; however, I still like what's been planned for that corner. Anybody opposed to it simply has nothing better to do with their time, which is sad on a number of levels.

Great to see you again RT and glad to see you support this project just like the vast majority of the rest of us do. :thumbsup: Oh and I love what the mayor said here:

“He’s trying to turn a public-private partnership into a conspiracy,” White said of Conway.

Read more: http://www.journalwa...t-draws-critics-

Edited by citylife

Great to see you again RT and glad to see you support this project just like the vast majority of the rest of us do. :thumbsup: Oh and I love what the mayor said here:

“He’s trying to turn a public-private partnership into a conspiracy,” White said of Conway.

Read more: http://www.journalwa...t-draws-critics-

Well, I think we can thank the local TV stations for giving this way more credibility than it deserves. If they hadn't put this on the air it would have gone nowhere, Now I see the City has hired a consultant to study this(public input) and give a report in 30 days. Money the city should not have to spend. I can see this dragging out for months and eventually adding this project to Greenville's dead in the water list, I'd hope that the the city officials will tell this guy to go fly a kite.

Well, I think we can thank the local TV stations for giving this way more credibility than it deserves. If they hadn't put this on the air it would have gone nowhere, Now I see the City has hired a consultant to study this(public input) and give a report in 30 days. Money the city should not have to spend. I can see this dragging out for months and eventually adding this project to Greenville's dead in the water list, I'd hope that the the city officials will tell this guy to go fly a kite.

I disagree. Too much at stake in this project, and those who are involved with this gets things done. Remember the statement "you can't fight city hall"? This guy is up against that and then some. Remember Riverplace? It got built. And the people complaining owned those properties. This guy owns nothing there. The city does.

I disagree. Too much at stake in this project, and those who are involved with this gets things done. Remember the statement "you can't fight city hall"? This guy is up against that and then some. Remember Riverplace? It got built. And the people complaining owned those properties. This guy owns nothing there. The city does.

I certainly hope you are right!!! I hope it is only a minor delay but no way it will start in July as originally said. Why am I so negative? Dang!

Edited by apaladin

Exactly,

Im from the upstate and moved to Charleston last year for a job. I helped do a lot of work on Riverplace, and I even remember working on the main office bulding there and looking down into the guys small house and pool. These people cant stop progress, its going to happen. They have the same problems down this way with "height" of buildings all around Charleston.....not just downtown and its sickening to me.

• 2 weeks later...

IN TBA of the Journal, it says some new tenants for ONE will be announced soon, including at least one retailer.

Anyone hearing what it might be?

I posted in another forum about two national restaurant groups that are looking at One. Both fairly high end. I had heard a couple of weeks back one was close to signing. Could be one of them.

The people who filed this appeal sure aren't the smartest of the bunch. It can't be a conflict of interest because that person on the Greenville's Design Review Board isn't involved with the design of this project: Opponents of "One" File Appeal, Accuse Board Member of Conflict {sodEmoji.|} WSPA This explains it perfectly:

Cathy Hazelwood, General Counsel for the SC Ethics Commission, says for a conflict to exist, there must be evidence of an "ongoing client relationship", with empasis on the word "ongoing".

"If a board member has done past work with an applicant, that doesn't meet the law's definition of a conflict," says Hazelwood. "There has to be evidence that the board member would have a direct or indirect financial gain from the decision that he or she is taking part in."

In the appeal, the petitioners ask the court to reverse the DRB's decision and rule the project's Certificate of Appropriateness null and void. Hazelwood says state law does not allow for that.

"You can't go back and undo a decision made by someone with a conflict of interest," says Hazelwood.

You can tell the opponents of this project are running out of options and this is a last resort effort.

Edited by citylife