CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Apparently the building that houses Evolve Male is requesting permission to be demolished.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/SEPTEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/09-01-2011/CA-11-177-22WestWashingtonSt.pdf

The owners want to demo the structure by October 1, and AFTER that, they plan to consider rebuilding. They cite structural issues.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If the structural issues are true, then it might be best, but I would hate to lose a decently attractive pedestrian scaled building. It speaks well with the buildings across the street.

• 2 weeks later...

At least it's not a surprise reason like finances or lack of tenants. We all could see this coming from the public stink they made about the Piazza land sale.

However, September is one week away. Rumor still holds true that some announcements about this project will be made public in September... I, for one, am looking forward to what we will find out!

Hate to say I told you so, but....... Knowing how the court system works this project is probably dead in the water. It could drag out for months, even years with appeals etc. The tenants, promoters etc will start dropping off. One person basically can stop a 100 million dollar project cold just because they don't like it.. Cost hundreds of jobs. Thanks a**hole. You gotta love this country. We can call this Gateway II. Another hole surrounded by a green fence.

Edited by apaladin

While I feel your frustration on this issue, I think you may be pulling the plug too soon. I too am fed up with big announcements and nothing to show for it. I am also tired of all the wanna be developers in Greenville who have big visions but shallow pockets. This small speed bump shouldnt slow down this project. Theres too much money involved and the players this time are the real deal! Every major project that is announced always has its detractors. Im willing to bet, this suit gets tossed out pretty soon. The only way this lawsuit gains traction is if the City really did do something shady by selling the public space land. Im ready for some real development and some signature buildings in Downtown.

I see the City is planning an ice skating place at the new Marriott Courtyard starting the day after Thanksgiving. I guess I could stop this because I don't ice skate and this is going to be put over grass. Can you say lawsuit, LOL!! Where is Heidi and crew on this? Geesh!! :yahoo:

:lol: Well, her dog prefers the grass at Bergamo.