CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Isn't this the site where GvilleSC was talking about seeing a proposal (which wasn't taken) for a 20+ story tower? Gville, did you evr hear anything more about that site?

Yea that's the one. I've heard nothing else about the site, though. Something has to be in the works. It's just a matter of what...

• 1 month later...

I was hanging out by Downtown Crossing the other day, and I thought about something that would work in this spot, and bring the needed retail, and a new tower to this block of prime real estate. I suck at drawing, but I know some of you are good at Photoshop, so if some one would want to make this look good, please feel free to. post-742-1168240039_thumb.jpgpost-742-1168240062_thumb.jpg

I have in the first drawing a Borders, that sits on the corner of the building, facing Main St and Piazza Bergamo. Facing the Piazza Bergamo is also a small walk-in Walgreen's, like the form factor that is in the Empire State Building, just a small store that can be open 24 hours for the multitude of downtown Greenville residents. On the other side of that, I've placed an Apple Store, because for those who want to see it downtown, that would be what would entice them to put one there. It would be facing the corner of Main and Washington. With the Borders, it would have a small footprint, but at the same time, escalators would run from near the front entrance, up to a larger area that is open on the second floor, to the front. Of course, I'm stealing this idea with the Borders from the store at School and Washington in Boston, but I think that this might just work out really well for Downtown Greenville.

Of course, there is a tower on top of all this. I want something that would be the missing piece between the Poinsett Tower, the Westin, and the Commerce Tower, and the rest of downtown, with the Landmark, Pinnacle, Liberty Towers, and Bank of America. I think that between 16 - 24 floors for the tower would work out, and I didn't draw a spire or anything, because I can't draw, but that would be needed. Toss some ideas here. Thats just my two cents.

Here are some pictures of said Borders that I found on Webshots and GIS.

336160872eAbokI_th.jpg

2235580290096086454pMpKBn_th.jpg

350159305_aa0f8ab9e2.jpg

350159300_67f4fa4aba.jpg

Great idea, jarvisj3! It's been eight years, but I've been in that very same Borders, so the photos were rather cool for me to see after all this time. I must say that a similar store fronting Main and Piazza Bergamo here (only with an outdoor terrace on the second floor) and views out over both Main and Piazza Bergamo the same way you can peer out into the plaza there in Boston would work well here. That area seemed to be a beehive of activity to me when I was there, of course it was Patriot's Day, so it was probably extra busy.

I contacted somebody with the City of Greenville and she said that the site is owned by a company called TLC Properties and that a construction plan and schedule is due within the next few months.

This is exciting! Thanks for contacting the city about this, g-man. :)

Does anyone know anything about TLC Properties? I have not heard of them, and a quick Google search for them returned nothing...

Actually, I sort of made a mistake, but a good one. I should of said TLC Propeties is finalizing plans NOW for this development and something should be released to the public very soon. It's the construction schedule that will be released in a few months. The plans for the site will be released sooner. :thumbsup:

I was hanging out by Downtown Crossing the other day, and I thought about something that would work in this spot, and bring the needed retail, and a new tower to this block of prime real estate. I suck at drawing, but I know some of you are good at Photoshop, so if some one would want to make this look good, please feel free to. post-742-1168240039_thumb.jpgpost-742-1168240062_thumb.jpg

I have in the first drawing a Borders, that sits on the corner of the building, facing Main St and Piazza Bergamo. Facing the Piazza Bergamo is also a small walk-in Walgreen's, like the form factor that is in the Empire State Building, just a small store that can be open 24 hours for the multitude of downtown Greenville residents. On the other side of that, I've placed an Apple Store, because for those who want to see it downtown, that would be what would entice them to put one there. It would be facing the corner of Main and Washington. With the Borders, it would have a small footprint, but at the same time, escalators would run from near the front entrance, up to a larger area that is open on the second floor, to the front. Of course, I'm stealing this idea with the Borders from the store at School and Washington in Boston, but I think that this might just work out really well for Downtown Greenville.

Of course, there is a tower on top of all this. I want something that would be the missing piece between the Poinsett Tower, the Westin, and the Commerce Tower, and the rest of downtown, with the Landmark, Pinnacle, Liberty Towers, and Bank of America. I think that between 16 - 24 floors for the tower would work out, and I didn't draw a spire or anything, because I can't draw, but that would be needed. Toss some ideas here. Thats just my two cents.

Like your idea Jarvis! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Seems like this would be a very interactive building....lots of pedestrian activity. Exactly the kind of building needed on this corner, IMO.

You're quite welcome, Greenville. I was wondering the same thing about TLC Properties. I couldn't find anything about them either. I'll try to email the person with the City of Greenvillle again to see if she knows if they have a website or not.

They also own the B of A Building. The Journal had an article about a month ago, but not much in the way of new info. I think they were trying to buy the GQ Fashions building. Depending on if they succeded would determine the final project layout.

They also own the B of A Building. The Journal had an article about a month ago, but not much in the way of new info. I think they were trying to buy the GQ Fashions building. Depending on if they succeded would determine the final project layout.

They better be able to buy the GQ Fashions building! It is an eyesore, and whatever it takes to get rid of it is worth it. I can't imagine a quality development being forced to work around it.

Actually, I sort of made a mistake, but a good one. I should of said TLC Propeties is finalizing plans NOW for this development and something should be released to the public very soon. It's the construction schedule that will be released in a few months. The plans for the site will be released sooner. :thumbsup:

Awesome. Just seeing the design for this block will be great! It seems like 2007 will or could be a great year

They better be able to buy the GQ Fashions building! It is an eyesore, and whatever it takes to get rid of it is worth it. I can't imagine a quality development being forced to work around it.

Ah, come on Greenville.....you know that GQ Fashions store is the height of fashion!! I hear they are franchising and opening stores in Palm Beach and on Rodeo Drive. :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Construction has begun on the BOFA renovation project. It is a multi-phase project with demolition of the parking garage set for the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2008. No, that is not a typo either unfortunately.

You know, I think that it is so funny how they have been doing the renovations at BoA plaza - They spent the last three months painting the building (and it looks good!), and they stopped at the parking garage. I can't blame them, but what do people that have no idea about the Main@Washingon project think?

I understand that there is at least one building in the land that is being assembeled for the project is not for sale - and that TIC is going to end up paying full value plus some for the parcel.