CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

While I personally don't mind that this building violates the height limit of buildings fronting Main Street, I am afraid the DPC will. What are the odds that they will make an exception for this development? Based on their history, my guess is that the odds are low.

This is a great development and I am excited about it. I am not worried about the retailers fronting Piazza Bergamo. There will be plenty of pedestrian traffic there. It might not have quite the number of visitors Falls Park does, but it will definitely be the major "attraction" in the Center City area. :thumbsup:

I'm not totally sure whether there will be retail frontage on Main Street or not. I said I doubt there would be due to the first 2-4 floors being parking, but I could be wrong. I'll try to find out for you guys tomorrow which one is true. :)

Edited by citylife

And what's wrong with that? Looks ten times better than what's on site currently. If they were to go back and redesign this complex, the whole project would be set back months. The people working in the office building will be dumped out onto Main Street, West Washington Street, and Piazza Bergamo. This will help the retailers and restaurants that are already located in the area gain more business.
Are people in the Poinsett Plaza office building not also dumped out onto Main Street? I don't buy into the notion that this design is better for local retailers than a highrise building which sits back a small distance from the main pedestrian pathway, yet still has a two or three story "storefront" buffer to preserve the small town charm and provide corporate business without dominating the streetscape.

There has been mention of an alleyway off W. Washington St.. I think that is actually the parking garage. The W. Washington elevation shows the office building on the right and a continuation of the structure as a 4 story building down Washington St.

It is possible that the parking garage extends into part of the office building on the lower floors but I sure hope it doesn't extend all the way to Main St. There is room for a lobby and space for retail or restaurant along Main Street even if the parking level uses half the lower floors.

There has been mention of an alleyway off W. Washington St.. I think that is actually the parking garage. The W. Washington elevation shows the office building on the right and a continuation of the structure as a 4 story building down Washington St.

It is possible that the parking garage extends into part of the office building on the lower floors but I sure hope it doesn't extend all the way to Main St. There is room for a lobby and space for retail or restaurant along Main Street even if the parking level uses half the lower floors.

There is no alleyway off of West Washington Street. It's a round-a-bout entrance for pick up/drop off at the hotel. It will also be the entrance/exit for the parking garage I believe. It's the exact same way they have it set up at Riverplace except the parking garage will be above ground instead of below. I don't know what the amenities deck located between the hotel and office building is. It looks like there will be a small alleyway between North Laurens Street and the round-a-bout connecting the two though. Regarding the bolded part of your post that I quoted, that rendering is skewed. That four story structure is set back from Washington Street and is located between the round-a-bout and Piazza Bergamo. I know it looks like it's right up against Washington Street, but in reality it's not. Here is the site plan to help you understand better. The amenities deck is the four story structure you see in the West Washington Street elevation rendering:

2866551489_f179dde558_o.jpg

Edited by citylife

There is no alleyway off of West Washington Street. It's a round-a-bout entrance for pick up/drop off at the hotel. It will also be the entrance/exit for the parking garage I believe. It's the exact same way they have it set up at Riverplace except the parking garage will be above ground instead of below. I don't know what the amenities deck located between the hotel and office building is. It looks like there will be a small alleyway between North Laurens Street and the round-a-bout connecting the two though. Regarding the bolded part of your post that I quoted, that rendering is skewed. That four story structure is set back from Washington Street and is located between the round-a-bout and Piazza Bergamo. I know it looks like it's right up against Washington Street, but in reality it's not. Here is the site plan to help you understand better. The amenities deck is the four story structure you see in the West Washington Street elevation rendering:

2866551489_f179dde558_o.jpg

first floor of office build is retail floors 2-4 are parking and the rest is office.

Are people in the Poinsett Plaza office building not also dumped out onto Main Street? I don't buy into the notion that this design is better for local retailers than a highrise building which sits back a small distance from the main pedestrian pathway, yet still has a two or three story "storefront" buffer to preserve the small town charm and provide corporate business without dominating the streetscape.

What you describe is ideal, IMO, but I don't know how feasible it is. It would seem do-able to me, but if it is, why didn't they design it that way. I like the project overall, but I too wonder if the DPC will approve it, without the required buffer. If an exception is made for this project, it could open the door for others.

I also agree that Open Book would be great for this location. It will be difficult to nab a national retailer, so why not go our 'own way' and help a local retailer expand. The leasing rate might have to be lower though, in order to do that.

I don't understand the problem with having a building over 3 stories front main street.

Once something is high enough to impede someone from walking over it, 30 or 300 feet, I don't see how it matters.

I think it will get approved because what ever this project "takes away" form main street it will more than make up for with the addition of what has the potential to be an amazing little shopping arcade.

I think it will get approved because what ever this project "takes away" form main street it will more than make up for with the addition of what has the potential to be an amazing little shopping arcade.

I think it will get approved as is also. Remember, you have one whole side that is Piazza Bergamo. With the entire Piazza Bergamo area an open area, seems the set-back from Main could be exempt. I for one like the fact that there is no set-back.....with retail on the bottom level, it will have a very urban feel.

I think it will get approved as is also. Remember, you have one whole side that is Piazza Bergamo. With the entire Piazza Bergamo area an open area, seems the set-back from Main could be exempt. I for one like the fact that there is no set-back.....with retail on the bottom level, it will have a very urban feel.

I also like the way it is currently designed, but am concerned that the dreaded DPC will be rigid and make them incorporate the mandatory setback on the Main Street side.

I also agree that Open Book would be great for this location. It will be difficult to nab a national retailer, so why not go our 'own way' and help a local retailer expand. The leasing rate might have to be lower though, in order to do that.

Joseph-Beth is supposedly going in this development, and I think that will be fantastic. While The Open Book is certainly a longstanding Greenville retailer, it is not the type of bookstore we need downtown. We need an anchor with experience being successful in other cities, not a local retailer that will take a big risk to expand downtown. We need more shopping destinations downtown, and this development is the perfect place for a few.

As much as I support the idea of Joseph-Beth moving into Downtown Greenville, I still feel that it's a shame that Borders balked at the idea of going into downtown. They're going to miss out. :rolleyes:

This overall development (this is the first time I've looked at this thread in ages) looks pretty impressive. It's of a scale that I had imagined would fit quite nicely on that portion of the block, too. I am a tad bit concerned about the West elevation of the hotel...the corner where the stairs and elevator shaft are located...no windows? What's up with that? Makes an otherwise attractive building look stark.

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice! I was just downtown thinking the same today!

I noticed a uniformed guard checking the doors several times on Friday and again today. I hadn't seen this happen before. I spend a lot of time on the corner across the street from this running a hot dog cart and am always on the lookout for signs that this project is actually going forward.

• 3 months later...