CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Ideally, if things sound this promising, I don't even see why money has to be wasted on creating a temporary park. Just sign the tenants, razed the existing buildings, and immediately build the project. While the redesign sounds good, it also sounds like it will result in even more of a delay, even more so if the original design has already been approved. I just hope this temporary park doesn't stay in place five years or more.

The developers have not gone to the DPC for approval yet, so the original design was never approved. The redesign master plan should be completed and released by the end of this year. Not much of a delay if you ask me. If this temporary park is here for five years or longer, i'll eat my shirt. Cousins and TIC Properties aren't small town developers.

Edited by citylife

It is puzzling that they want to put in a temporary park, if tenant signings are immenient.

How many years has the Main and McBee site been empty? Remember the CVS that has yet to annouce? The old Auditorium site has been vacat for a DECADE.

Don't tell me that 'temporary' park can't be there awhile.

I would prefer they tear down the GQ / Young Fashion place, and leave Woolworth's up until construction is immenient. Woolworth is a big space that will look like a missing front tooth. The other buildings, not so much, plus that 'bridge ' building could go ahead and be demolished and the property transfer could proceed.

How many years has the Main and McBee site been empty? Remember the CVS that has yet to annouce? The old Auditorium site has been vacat for a DECADE.

You don't have two large investment companies working on those sites along with financing being available like you do on this site. Did you forget about the Main at Broad project? After that was announced, it didn't take a while to get going. Large developer with experience, financing provided, and heavy city involvement are the reasons that is getting built and the reasons this will get built too.

Edited by citylife

I am very happy to hear about the design change! While I love the proposal, the architecture left a lot to be desired. Hopefully the new design will be more cutting edge. :thumbsup:

Didn't the article also say that demoiltion would start after Fall For Greenville instead of next year which would lead to speculating that the project may be farther along than thought?

Anybody want to speculate on what type of national retailers might be interested in going into a space in this building? I'll go first, Best Buy has a concept called Best Buy Mobile where they have all the major carriers in one spot so you can shop them all at once. Every BB has these inside the regular stores as a "store within a store" concept, but they also have stand alone stores in shopping areas. No one has done a cell phone store downtown yet and I think the first mover into this market will be able to grab a lot of share. Spartanburg's West Gate Mall has one of the stand alone mobile stores. I think one of these would be a great fit for this building.

I know the developer wants a national or regional bookseller, so I think it's safe to expect Borders, Barnes and Noble, or Joseph-Beth as part of Washington Square. I think that will be a fantastic addition to our downtown retail scene. :)

I would really like to see at least one national retailer as part of the ground level retail. Something like Gap would be perfect, but maybe I'm dreaming to think that we can pull that off.

I know the developer wants a national or regional bookseller, so I think it's safe to expect Borders, Barnes and Noble, or Joseph-Beth as part of Washington Square. I think that will be a fantastic addition to our downtown retail scene. :)

I would really like to see at least one national retailer as part of the ground level retail. Something like Gap would be perfect, but maybe I'm dreaming to think that we can pull that off.

Didn't the owners of Joseph-Beth basically say they would come to Greenville, but it would take a while? I thought I remembered something like that from a year or so ago. Joseph-Beth would be perfect! :thumbsup:

Didn't the owners of Joseph-Beth basically say they would come to Greenville, but it would take a while? I thought I remembered something like that from a year or so ago. Joseph-Beth would be perfect! :thumbsup:

Yes, they did. They came to Greenville last year to look at putting a bookstore downtown. I can't say one way or the other whether they'll go in this development or not. Also, don't be suprised to hear that Cousins has dropped out of this project. It's got nothing to do with this project either. They are having financial problems with other projects like Terminus in Atlanta and are taking some huge financial hits: http://www.costar.com/news/Article.aspx?id...7CBC6695C9FD6D2 TIC Properties might have to build this project themselves. Don't worry though. TIC Properties is a large company and has the financing to get it done. :)

• 3 weeks later...

A 100,000 square foot commercial tenant is apparently looking at Washington Square and one other location to locate in. Sounds like they'll be going to Washington Square by the wording of the TBA in the Greenville Journal. The Journal doesn't specifically say Washington Square but i'm guessing that's what it is by this part of the TBA: The tenant will be the anchor of a project that could transform downtown.

Edited by citylife

A 100,000 square foot commercial tenant is apparently looking at Washington Square and one other location to locate in. Sounds like they'll be going to Washington Square by the wording of the TBA in the Greenville Journal. The Journal doesn't specifically say Washington Square but i'm guessing that's what it is by this part of the TBA: The tenant will be the anchor of a project that could transform downtown.

Well that is great news! :yahoo:

...Even if it's another project that transforms downtown. :shades:

That is great news.

Re: bookstores- with 2 Barnes & Nobles, I'd assume a third wouldn't be coming, and Borders is having some financial problems- the Open Book should consider moving on up from their run-down shopping center and open one downtown. I'd be much more likely to shop there if they did. There was an Open Book at Bell Tower Mall (northeast side of the mall) and then it moved to N. Main St. for a while and was there even after downtown died off in the early '80s, so hopefully it'd return? The owners live right nearby so that would be a great commute.

That is great news.

Re: bookstores- with 2 Barnes & Nobles, I'd assume a third wouldn't be coming, and Borders is having some financial problems- the Open Book should consider moving on up from their run-down shopping center and open one downtown. I'd be much more likely to shop there if they did. There was an Open Book at Bell Tower Mall (northeast side of the mall) and then it moved to N. Main St. for a while and was there even after downtown died off in the early '80s, so hopefully it'd return? The owners live right nearby so that would be a great commute.

Maybe not the right place for this, but has anyone else been to Mr K's used books at Verdae village yet? The prices are great and its quite large. It is definitely nice to have it here in Greenville. If you haven't been check it out.

That's great news, for sure! I wonder how any hotel talks are going? It seems like the office building may be ready sooner rather than later...

Maybe not the right place for this, but has anyone else been to Mr K's used books at Verdae village yet? The prices are great and its quite large. It is definitely nice to have it here in Greenville. If you haven't been check it out.

I've purchased quite a few CDs from them. You can find some real gems in the bargain bin for $2.00. Overall, their prices are pretty good on CDs.

Sounds like the project size has grown from the last rendering.

So how 'solid' is all of this and when can we expect a public announcement?

Remember that commercial tenant that was looking for 100,000 square feet? ;):whistling: Don't know when the public announcement will be but it's very solid from what i'm hearing. It was even listed in the bus rapid transit application as a done deal.

I wonder if we'll see one building or the other go taller, of if we'll be losing some of the hotel space? The office component seems to be doing surprisingly well... I'm anxious to hear more on this project's timeline!

Does downtown need another hotel? I'd figure that hotel room occupancy correlates with amount of office space and hasn't the hotel room count downtown grown a lot more recently than the office space?

I think it's interesting to examine the hotel scene downtown. Previously, it was well under-served, I'd say, though I have no numbers to prove that. Since that time, each hotel has opened in conjunction with some office space opening. The Hampton Inn was added with the addition of the Riverplace office building, the Terrace at Riverplace, and the Fieldhouse. The new Courtyard by Marriott will be opening along with its adjoined office space of five floors. All of this comes as the City's festivals continue to grow in regional fame, the convention center's remodel completion, and a proposed new visitor center and tourism effort... I'm not saying the market for another hotel is necessarily there right now, but I don't think it's too far off, especially with such a large office building being proposed.