CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Page 22 of the bus rapid transit document I have which was made last month says Clemson will lease 100,000 square feet of office space at Washington Square for a new business school. :yahoo: We now know who the Greenville Journal was talking about.

Edited by citylife

Page 22 of the bus rapid transit document I have which was made last month says Clemson will lease 100,000 square feet of office space at Washington Square for a new business school. :yahoo: We now know who the Greenville Journal was talking about.

Wow! That is a whole heck of a lot more space than I thought they would be looking for to house their business entrepreneur center or whatever exactly it is... It's a little disappointing that this 100,000 sf tenant is not a separate entity from Clemson's plans, but either way it's going to be great to have a program of that size in the heart of the CBD. I was hoping for new jobs, but this impact, I'm sure will be equally as substantial. :) go tigers!

Wow! That is a whole heck of a lot more space than I thought they would be looking for to house their business entrepreneur center or whatever exactly it is... It's a little disappointing that this 100,000 sf tenant is not a separate entity from Clemson's plans, but either way it's going to be great to have a program of that size in the heart of the CBD. I was hoping for new jobs, but this impact, I'm sure will be equally as substantial. :) go tigers!

This will also be for the growing Executive MBA program as well. :thumbsup:

Think of it as a selling point to landing even more office tenants downtown. :) Kind of like how ICAR is a selling point for automotive related companies looking to expand in the area.

I love what we're hearing, but will reserve enthusiasm until we see the new building well under construction. This has the potential to significantly enhance the already fantastic quality of life in Greenville's downtown. Hopefully we'll hear an official announcement before the end of the year. One of my top wishes for 2009 will come to pass if that happens.

g-man430 posted the text from this document on SSC early this morning. I read page 22 and did not see anything about a specific location other than "downtown Greenville". Are we sure this will be part of Washington Square, or is this merely speculation? Could you quote the portion of the BRT document which states that this 100,000 sf office space is planned for Washington Square? I probably just didn't read it properly.

Another potential location could be the now infamous Gateway site.

g-man430 posted the text from this document on SSC early this morning. I read page 22 and did not see anything about a specific location other than "downtown Greenville". Are we sure this will be part of Washington Square, or is this merely speculation? Could you quote the portion of the BRT document which states that this 100,000 sf office space is planned for Washington Square? I probably just didn't read it properly.

Another potential location could be the now infamous Gateway site.

On page 9, location for the business school is listed as Main at Washington Streets. Page 22 gives the amount of office space leased for the project.

• 3 weeks later...

No big news, but The Greenville News reports that the Sterling High statue will be moved to storage for the demolition of the Woolworth Building. The article still reports that grass will take the place of the building in the immediate future. Let it be noted that Xanthene Norris has expressed concern that this statue will be "lost" in the storage process. :wacko:

It doesn't give a date for demolition.

No big news, but The Greenville News reports that the Sterling High statue will be moved to storage for the demolition of the Woolworth Building. The article still reports that grass will take the place of the building in the immediate future. Let it be noted that Xanthene Norris has expressed concern that this statue will be "lost" in the storage process. :wacko:

It doesn't give a date for demolition.

:rolleyes: Maybe Xanthene herself can get lost in storage.

• 1 month later...

Channel 4 did a piece on this at 5:30, said foot traffic will be rerouted and they are creating a "Candyland" walk for the detour; candy cane lamp posts, colored sidewalk squares, etc. A little different but it is supposed to be something creative for the season. But I noticed they said that teh city is not saying what might go in it's place, and that they are "keeping it top secret." But I thought Washington Sq plans were already released. So are they just talking about the specifics being top secret? If so, I would think they would have a least metioned the prior plans. :dontknow:

Channel 4 did a piece on this at 5:30, said foot traffic will be rerouted and they are creating a "Candyland" walk for the detour; candy cane lamp posts, colored sidewalk squares, etc. A little different but it is supposed to be something creative for the season. But I noticed they said that teh city is not saying what might go in it's place, and that they are "keeping it top secret." But I thought Washington Sq plans were already released. So are they just talking about the specifics being top secret? If so, I would think they would have a least metioned the prior plans. :dontknow:

That's pretty interesting, distorted. They must have something major that their not releasing. I think the City has seen too many plots of land sit empty after demolition to really be approaching this with nothing solid up their sleeve... It'll be interesting to watch this unfold...

Color me intrigued. I know that the city wants to make this a dynamic development. As we discussed before, the developer and city have been exploring the idea of revamping the previously released plans. Given the parties involved, I think we can count on this being very urban and progressive, with unique architecture and new offerings not currently found downtown. I am excited.

Shouldn't demolition be starting soon?

Demolition started earlier today: http://www.gsabusine...ins-today?rss=0 What you saw were the original plans for Washington Square. Key word is original. wink.gif The city has hired several different architecture firms to re-design the development. The city along with the developers want something that will be a landmark and spectacular destination. Oh and just remember who released renderings of this project first. whistling.gif

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Demolition of the Woolworth site began on Tuesday, January 12. It looks like they are making a lot of progress. There are pictures on The Greenville News website:

http://www.greenvill...01130003&Ref=PH

According to the G-News grass will be planted and sidewalks installed. So now we will have a big hole in the middle of downtown for who knows how long, maybe as long as the Gateway site or longer. THe Washington Square project is dead. You would think someone would think these 2 proprties would be worth developing.

According to the G-News grass will be planted and sidewalks installed. So now we will have a big hole in the middle of downtown for who knows how long, maybe as long as the Gateway site or longer. THe Washington Square project is dead. You would think someone would think these 2 proprties would be worth developing.

Dead? hysterical.gif That's like saying Haywood Mall or the Shops at Greenridge is dead. Cousins is no longer part of Washington Square but the project will still get built. TIC Properties has the money/resources to get it done unlike some of the other developers with failed downtown projects. The city is currently reworking the development agreement with TIC Properties due to Cousins dropping out of the project. A temporary park was planned for the demolished site from the beginning. The project that is to be built on site is top secret and several prospective tenants are said to be very interested. tough.gif I'm not sure if they have chosen the architecture firm or not they hope to go with yet. I know the city did enlist several different firms to help design the project several months ago.

Edited by citylife