CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

There had been a plan for a temporary rink in the grassy area outside the Mast General Store either last winter or the winter before that. It never materialized as far as I know though. I'm not sure if the person(s) that proposed this went back to the drawing board or gave up altogether. This particular plan, though, is why I think it would be a good idea to have the ability to convert a fountain into a rink during the winter. I'd personally love to see it. Can you imagine the holiday shopping downtown with an ice rink available? B)

Heck - if Downtown Disney West Side in Orlando can do it, then I know Greenville can. :whistling:

I remember that, but I also thought the plan was to just wait until the next winter, which would be the winter about to start.

The one that Downtown Disney West Side usually sets up during the winter holidays is approximately 30 yards by 60 yards. If Piazza Bergamo were renovated, there'd be plenty of room for such a rink. I do really think this would be a huge plus and yet another attraction for downtown if something like this were to come about.

The one that Downtown Disney West Side usually sets up during the winter holidays is approximately 30 yards by 60 yards. If Piazza Bergamo were renovated, there'd be plenty of room for such a rink. I do really think this would be a huge plus and yet another attraction for downtown if something like this were to come about.

AWESOME! I agree, it'd be great. As long as they get that bridge building out of the way by winter!!!

• 4 weeks later...

As I mentioned in another thread, you can see in BofA Plaza a model of the redesign and new buildings along with the redesign of Piazza Bergamo.

Also, Pavilian has aquired 85% so far of Woolworth's, and another party has Denby Davenport's properties and the Footlocker Prop. undercontract.

Also, the redevelopment of the Woolworth's site will be 3 stories tall. Just leared today that to be more than three stories a building must be more than 30 feet from Main st.

Also, the redevelopment of the Woolworth's site will be 3 stories tall. Just leared today that to be more than three stories a building must be more than 30 feet from Main st.

Neat. That's interesting. I guess this must not apply to buildings in certain areas of Main? Riverplace is taller, Pinnacle on Main will be taller... Good to know, though! I like the idea of a three story building, it will help branch out Main street and bring density. Is is for certain to be built? Or just an idea... can you shed light?

Neat. That's interesting. I guess this must not apply to buildings in certain areas of Main? Riverplace is taller, Pinnacle on Main will be taller... Good to know, though! I like the idea of a three story building, it will help branch out Main street and bring density. Is is for certain to be built? Or just an idea... can you shed light?

No, I was just told that it would be three stories, and for that reason. Also, there is to be retail on the bottom, no one chosen. A restaurant is not permitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is restaurant not permitted in the ground floor of this building? Seems like a great restaurant spot.

The city does not want another restaurant there, because they want a retail establishment to anchor that corner. This is part of the reason why Jillian's was not allowed in the Mast General building.

There are plenty of restaurants downtown, retail and residential is the city's focus now, with good reason.

The city does not want another restaurant there, because they want a retail establishment to anchor that corner. This is part of the reason why Jillian's was not allowed in the Mast General building.

There are plenty of restaurants downtown, retail and residential is the city's focus now, with good reason.

True.

So are permits and license easier to get at the moment if you're retail? (for downtown)

• 2 months later...

And is the city actually doing anything worth anything other than just saying, "we want a retailer there"?

So often large-scale downtown development projects require public/private partnerships or at least a push from the government to get something done, unlike in suburbia. That site would be perfect for what I think would do great downtown: a retail center with a Jillian's, a small department store and a few other stores on perhaps 2 or 3 levels, but it would take a lot of effort to have it happen.

This is what Greenville needs:

http://www.belz.com/peabody/#

Edited by mallguy

And is the city actually doing anything worth anything other than just saying, "we want a retailer there"?

So often large-scale downtown development projects require public/private partnerships or at least a push from the government to get something done, unlike in suburbia. That site would be perfect for what I think would do great downtown: a retail center with a Jillian's, a small department store and a few other stores on perhaps 2 or 3 levels, but it would take a lot of effort to have it happen.

This is what Greenville needs:

http://www.belz.com/peabody/#

I like this idea, mallguy. I think more pedestrian-friendly shopping/dining/gallery options need to be offered in a compact, but attractive structure in the Piazza area. Another music store/cafe would be a great addition. :shades:

The Gville Journal has an article on this public meeting held this week. There will be another meeting in February, date to be determined.

Did anyone go to the one this week?

I did not make it because of work, but I'd like to make it to the one this month, provided it fits my schedule. I think it was rather inconsiderate to plan a public meeting on a weekday morning. If the City wants public input, they should allow for people who work, especially considering most of these people use the plaza after working hours.

Since there was talk about a possible ice rink on or near the Piazza Bergamo, I wonder if the City or this developer have given up on the idea altogether after many months have passed by. The concept would definitely work well there, and would easily become a regional attraction, since no other like it exists in the state. It could be taken further by adding shops and cafes around the edges. :)

Here is the original article from The Greenville News.

I did not make it because of work, but I'd like to make it to the one this month, provided it fits my schedule. I think it was rather inconsiderate to plan a public meeting on a weekday morning. If the City wants public input, they should allow for people who work, especially considering most of these people use the plaza after working hours.

I agree 100%, Skyliner. There is absolutely no way I can make it into town for a weekday morning meeting unless I take time off of work, which is not a possibility for me. It'd be nice if they considered holding the public hearing on the plaza itself during the weekend. :thumbsup:

I have been informed that both Mayor White and City Manager Jim Bourey are being notified of our concern and desire to contribute ideas/visions at one of the public meetings. Mayor White was not readily available to respond, but Mr. Bourey will discuss with the staff the possibility of evening meetings. :thumbsup: