CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Not sure how reliable this rumor is, but Hilton is supposedly looking at being part of Washington Square. Not sure which one of their brands it could be. Their only presence downtown is Hampton Inn at Riverplace. Doubletree, perhaps? It could also be a regular Hilton, especially since the current Hilton Greenville is getting up there in age. Hilton Garden Inn would work too.

Does anyone know our hotel occupancy rate, downtown and/or for the metro area? Can we support an additional hotel, even if it were 200 rooms or less? I ask since the Marriott Courtyard recently opened...

Not sure how reliable this rumor is, but Hilton is supposedly looking at being part of Washington Square. Not sure which one of their brands it could be. Their only presence downtown is Hampton Inn at Riverplace. Doubletree, perhaps? It could also be a regular Hilton, especially since the current Hilton Greenville is getting up there in age. Hilton Garden Inn would work too.

A hotel would definitely help get a big project off the ground. Hilton would be a great brand to do it, too. All of these rumors circulating with such ferocity recently have me itching to find out some hard facts and see some visually stimulating renderings... Hopefully April is our month...

Does anyone know our hotel occupancy rate, downtown and/or for the metro area? Can we support an additional hotel, even if it were 200 rooms or less? I ask since the Marriott Courtyard recently opened...

Not sure but during downtown's drought in the '80s and '90s the only hotel downtown that a business traveler would stay in was the Hyatt. Office space has maybe doubled since then at most but the Poinsett, the Embassy Suites and the Courtyard have opened, so the supply of rooms has probably increased much faster than office space has.

Not sure but during downtown's drought in the '80s and '90s the only hotel downtown that a business traveler would stay in was the Hyatt. Office space has maybe doubled since then at most but the Poinsett, the Embassy Suites and the Courtyard have opened, so the supply of rooms has probably increased much faster than office space has.

There is no Embassy Suites downtown...it is at Verdae. You are thinking Hampton at Riverplace perhaps?

Last we heard from Mayor White he spoke of a game changer type of project with a summer start. Summer is fast approaching and still no annoncement. The question is will this project become the next Pinnacle or Peacock? Do you really think anything will be built in the next 2-5 years?

Last we heard from Mayor White he spoke of a game changer type of project with a summer start. Summer is fast approaching and still no annoncement. The question is will this project become the next Pinnacle or Peacock? Do you really think anything will be built in the next 2-5 years?

If the project includes a new "tallest" for Greenville, then it may already be destined to fail. :silly:

Joking aside, I would love to see a classy signature tower element there and a new "tallest" would be even better.

It will be late summer, as opposed to early summer. There should be a formal announcement soon. And yes, it will happen.

You seem to be hearing quite a bit of "inside" chatter related to this project. Would you mind revealing your source(s)? At least a hint or a clue? Thanks in advance.

An acquaintance of mine is doing some consulting for one of the companies involved in the project. What I've posted is all I know, and is basically the rumblings he's heard. Everyone is being really tight-lipped about this, which I take to mean that this is going to be huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you're leaking information, does this indicate that an announcement must be coming soon? ..Soon enough that you feel it ok to share things

Fingers crossed. The Greenville board is going to explode with activity if that occurs. If UP needs any upgrades, now might be the time... :whistling:

When I read "signature tower," I nearly got a "signature tower."

I think you need a social outlet or two. :)

But seriously, I hope this development isn't like some others that have been proposed in the past and actually pans out. The location is too good and the potential too great for this opportunity to be missed.

It's Bob Hughes not Phil Hughes involved with Washington Square. Not sure why I said Phil originally. Must have been tired or something when I posted it. :blink: And yes, it's the large site with the fence around it next to Piazza Bergamo/Bank of America highrise. :thumbsup:

What's the pic of?

Pic? What pic? I have no idea what you're talking about. :whistling:;):ph34r:

Edited by citylife

I'm guessing it is a rough perspective view from across Main Street. The grey area probably represents the new plaza and the building outline furthest to the right could be the Bank of Americal tower. If you take the drawing's vague nature into account, then it is difficult to guess the total square footage or height of the "signature" tower.