CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

• 2 weeks later...

.....and the info and announcements just keep on coming!! :whistling:

There was an announcement? :dontknow::silly: Seriously though, i'm starting to wonder whether this project has been put on hold. :scared: For there to be no news yet has me worried.

Edited by citylife

This is not a rumor. Expect an announcement in approximately one week.

Figures that a day after I say i'm getting worried the project is on hold, it is revealed that an announcement will be made in one week. :lol: Fantastic news. :alc:

Edited by citylife

That would go with Greenville's (forum member) timeline of mid-May and mine of when I said before June 1st for an announcement. Hope it's right. :thumbsup:

Yes, based on what I've heard this is very much in motion. I'm hearing a "signature" highrise in the 20-story range, two midrise buildings, national retailers including a bookseller, and possibly a hotel. Piazza Bergamo will be another focal point and gathering spot in our urban core. It will definitely complement Falls Park and RiverPlace well. :thumbsup:

Yes, based on what I've heard this is very much in motion. I'm hearing a "signature" highrise in the 20-story range, two midrise buildings, national retailers including a bookseller, and possibly a hotel. Piazza Bergamo will be another focal point and gathering spot in our urban core. It will definitely complement Falls Park and RiverPlace well. :thumbsup:

I like the sound of what you are hearing.

I love what I'm seeing on here. The dynamic of downtown has been in a shift over the past 8 years or so, as the centroid of the urban core has shifted toward the River. I think this development, with Piazzo Bergamo's renovation, will not shift the center back north, but will more importantly create a center with dual focuses. When you look at the plans (underway) for Brown Street, which will be complimented by Coffee Street, the Piazza and Hyatt renovations, a new identity is going to exist for the blocks north of Washington. Furthermore, the City hopes to begin road dieting College Street soon and better connect to Heritage Green.

So this is where the announcement news is coming from: http://twitter.com/#!/AIAGreenville May 11th post/retweet. Interesting. However, none of my media contacts (WYFF & Greenville News) have heard anything about an upcoming announcement regarding Washington Square so who knows whether one will actually be made or not. Oh and from the Greenville News:

Meanwhile, city officials told downtown patrons concerned about the future of the vacant site where Woolworth’s used to be that they remain confident a mixed-use project will take shape there, and they have tagged nearly half of a $10 million capital budget for related work.

Several downtown business owners and residents pressed the council on the project’s status in a public hearing on the annual budget, and two of them called for the fenced parcel to be converted to a park in the meantime, saying the plot is vital to the north end of Main Street.

Mayor Knox White said the city doesn’t own the property itself, and that the development has been “very hard” to put together. He said “good progress” is being made, and that while the adjacent public space has been on the back burner the city has included funding for improvements in the budget year beginning in July.

City budget documents show $4 million marked for the redesign of Piazza Bergamo and adjacent streets.

Edited by citylife

From John Nolan regarding his discussion with Mayor Knox White.

Reading between the lines of the Mayor's quote, does this mean no signature tower? The 11 and 12 story buildngs sound like the original drawings that were first poisted on the site before the buildings were torn down. Just 2 more days left in this week!

Edited by apaladin

Reading between the lines of the Mayor's quote, does this mean no signature tower? The 11 and 12 story buildngs sound like the original drawings that were first poisted on the site before the buildings were torn down. Just 2 more days left in this week!

The latest design does not resemble the original. Perhaps the third building is the "signature tower" and its height still to be determined, thus the lack of info regarding its height?

ya remember that the original proposal was only a portion of the site too, maybe this will include the parking lot and garage on Washington and Richardson st.

I'm still good with a nice mid-town park in that spot. I would be nice to have some open green space for people to sit, walk dogs, read, take lunches from nearaby restaurants and have picnics. Then we could move Downtown Alive back to by BOA and onto some grass so it could be more kid-friendly. Take some of the pressure of the Mayor to put something, anything in that spot and really focus on getting the best fit combination of design, tennants, retail, etc. There is so much focus on the river front that businesses and office-space by the Hyatt has to be suffering. I would think that just about anything other than a fenced in lot would be benefical. Doesnt take much work to turn a simple park into an office building later either.

I'm still good with a nice mid-town park in that spot. I would be nice to have some open green space for people to sit, walk dogs, read, take lunches from nearaby restaurants and have picnics. Then we could move Downtown Alive back to by BOA and onto some grass so it could be more kid-friendly. Take some of the pressure of the Mayor to put something, anything in that spot and really focus on getting the best fit combination of design, tennants, retail, etc. There is so much focus on the river front that businesses and office-space by the Hyatt has to be suffering. I would think that just about anything other than a fenced in lot would be benefical. Doesnt take much work to turn a simple park into an office building later either.

We were promised something significant and soon. HOpefully that hasn't changed.

I would much rather see a massive mixed use development on site instead. If you want green space, check out Falls Park or Cleveland Park. :thumbsup: However, if the development is put on hold for at least a year then a temporary park on site would be a good idea.

Edited by citylife

Don't hold your breath! For some reason developments never materialize in Greenville. Look at the gateway site as a prime example. They will settle with some 3 story building and waste land.

No they won't. This development is going to happen. Too many power players are involved. Watch and see.

No they won't. This development is going to happen. Too many power players are involved. Watch and see.

WHEN is it going to happen though? In a week, month, year, etc? Until somebody can answer that question as a fact and not rumor, i'm going to say this project is on hold and the mayor is just bluffing.

Edited by citylife