CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Since there was talk about a possible ice rink on or near the Piazza Bergamo, I wonder if the City or this developer have given up on the idea altogether after many months have passed by. The concept would definitely work well there, and would easily become a regional attraction, since no other like it exists in the state. It could be taken further by adding shops and cafes around the edges. :)

Here is the original article from The Greenville News.

I don't remember that article from over a year ago, but wow, the downtown ice rink/fountain sounds awesome! I wish this would happen.

I have been informed that both Mayor White and City Manager Jim Bourey are being notified of our concern and desire to contribute ideas/visions at one of the public meetings. Mayor White was not readily available to respond, but Mr. Bourey will discuss with the staff the possibility of evening meetings. :thumbsup:

This is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup: Thanks, Skyliner!

The Woolworth building has Realtor For Sale signs in it. I don't remember seeing those before.

This brings up the question, what is the status of this building? I thought they were still trying to get the title issues resolved, and that when they did, a project would occur there.

Anyone got any news on that ?

• 1 month later...

What's the word with this? Weren't we suppose to have some renderings or info by now?

In the latest edition of the Greenville Journal, it said in the tba part of the business section we should hear something about the Piazza Bergamo redevelopment plans in the next few weeks.

^^Thanks!

Hopefully since it's taking so long, they're going to announce a department store tenant for the corner of Main and Washington, as well as other tenants for this prime real estate, when they announce their "findings" or "results". That way maybe this will be underway shortly and the big gap in Main Street will finally be FILLED! :yahoo:

• 4 months later...

There is an update on the Woolworth's property in the current issue of GSABusiness Journal. Local real estate executive John Boyd has purchased a sizeable portion of the building. Read more at http://www.gsabusiness.com/, or pick up a copy at one of their store locations. :thumbsup:

I'm confused. Can John Boyd develop it now, or is the ownership fragmented again (meaning we will have to wait until one person owns it before anything can happen)?

I saw that same brief article on the GSABusiness site the other day and was left with the same impression. He still needs to secure ownership of the rest before any development can begin, but he's the one being given the vote of confidence to develop it now.

I was left feeling there was much more that the article didn't even begin to touch upon.

Ah ha! I knew the article on the web site seemed somewhat abbreviated. Thanks, btoy! :shades:

This is one development that I feel is very key to the long-term success of North Main in the CBD. It's a lynchpin and a potential catalyst for keeping that end of Main Street very much alive (not that it's dying or anything).

Ah ha! I knew the article on the web site seemed somewhat abbreviated. Thanks, btoy! :shades:

This is one development that I feel is very key to the long-term success of North Main in the CBD. It's a lynchpin and a potential catalyst for keeping that end of Main Street very much alive (not that it's dying or anything).

Didn't the G-Journal say a few weeks ago that Boyd was planning on redoing plans for the entire block? I think the plans to redo the Bank of America parking lot will be scrapped and put into a new development.

Hmmm UP has as many, if not more people than City Council. So if they can run people off, then I'm sure we could all do something. :rolleyes: I think this would be a great spot for our envisioned affordable high-rise condos. Right at the heart of downtown and the division point for South Main and North Main. It would be a great way to keep our oldest revitalized areas fresh and hopping. Not to mention the great height it would add the center of our skyline. :)

Hmmm UP has as many, if not more people than City Council. So if they can run people off, then I'm sure we could all do something. :rolleyes: I think this would be a great spot for our envisioned affordable high-rise condos. Right at the heart of downtown and the division point for South Main and North Main. It would be a great way to keep our oldest revitalized areas fresh and hopping. Not to mention the great height it would add the center of our skyline. :)

Agreed! :thumbsup:

i don't understand everybody's obsession over getting 40,000 high rise buildings in this town, i would much rather see a consistant development that ran the whole block, something about 4 or 5 stories with nice courtyards and a slight european feel to it. Something open, nice and un-imposing.

i agree with u, however it would be nice to c a FEW highrises go downtown. our skyline could def use a facelift or s/i say skylift!

i don't understand everybody's obsession over getting 40,000 high rise buildings in this town, i would much rather see a consistant development that ran the whole block, something about 4 or 5 stories with nice courtyards and a slight european feel to it. Something open, nice and un-imposing.

I am with you. I think a high rise in this location would be completely out of place and would detract from the look/feel of Main Street.

I am with you. I think a high rise in this location would be completely out of place and would detract from the look/feel of Main Street.

My own personal obsession with urbanization is that citys continue to build upward in areas that have already been developed (brownfields) rather than to build outward with sprawl and "develop" undeveloped areas (greenfields).

Is it impossible to have both in this location (i.e. a high rise 15-20 stories with the first 4 or 5 stories having that nice european feel with an open courtyard? I think not.

You'd not see the rest of the building for the trees anyway, so it would not detract from the look/feel of Main Street, would not be overly imposing, and yet could definitely give the skyline a presence from a distance. I think it is possible to have the best of both worlds with any new development that may pop up downtown. :shades:

Edited by RestedTraveler

plaza1.jpg

Rendering of Piazza @ Bergamo

I much prefer something like this older rendering to a high rise in this location. There are plenty of other spots off of (but close to) Main Street that would benefit more from a high rise. High rise buildings can do much for the Greenville skyline but not much to enhance Main Street when located right on Main Street, IMHO.