CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Edit: I have the feeling the 'Bookstore' will be a Clemson student (text) bookstore with Tiger merchandise and also 'mass market' books. No inside info, just a hunch.

Your close, expect it to be a main market bookstore that sells Clemson textbooks as well as mass appeal books. As for merchandising expect both Furman and Clemson goods. For an example I'd look at the College of Charleston Bookstore on Calhoun.

Some other info regarding this:

-25 year original lease. A 25-year renewal option would likely keep the programs at the site for a minimum total of 50 years.

-At least 350 business graduate students will be based in the building as well as those from other as-yet-unnamed graduate programs.

-Under the proposed deal, Clemson University will pay for the space’s $6 million in furnishings and remodeling.

-The earliest the space will be ready for the university is January 2013. Clemson will occupy part of the ground floor as well as all of the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth floors — a total of 71,000 square feet.

-Prominent Clemson University signage will be featured on the building.

Edited by citylife

Are they going in the 9 story building or the 11 story one? Given the timeline, I would assume the 9 story, but I thought it was already filled.

Nine story one according to Brett Dalton who is the university’s chief financial officer. With this, the building (185,000 square feet) will be 95% leased.

Only three floor-plates remain for lease (60,000 square feet in all) in the eleven story building (200,000 square feet) at last check. This means somebody has leased 40,000 square feet seeing how CertusBank leased 100,000 square feet of it a few months ago.

Edited by citylife

Your close, expect it to be a main market bookstore that sells Clemson textbooks as well as mass appeal books. As for merchandising expect both Furman and Clemson goods. For an example I'd look at the College of Charleston Bookstore on Calhoun.

You seem to have an inside scoop. Do you know if the bookstore will sell used books?

The programs currently held in the Bowater building will move to Project One, including the MBA program, Spiro Institute and professional development services. The university is still deciding whether other programs will move into the Bowater building.

Source: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/43075-clemson-to-move-mba-program-to-project-one?rss=0

Cool view! The first tower seems to sit a lot close to the Bank of America tower than I realized.

Also, 4240's use of that angle to mimic and speak to the angle across the plaza is rather beautiful. It's rather evident from this vantage point. Didn't that intersection at Coffee/Laurens/Buncombe(?) used to be called Five Points prior to their street realignment and the much later street abandoning?

Like the one on the Furman campus?

I don't know; when I was in grad school, the school had its own department store that got taken over by Barnes & Noble, and the merchandise definitely changed to be more bookstore-like, with a lot of school memorabilia. I understand that Norfolk, VA has a school B&N in a mall in its downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody wondering-

Nine story building is exactly 60 feet tall right now. Blue line below represents final height of this building including floors only (137 feet) Black line below represents final height of this building including floors and decorative elevator shaft along with eleven story building (171 feet):

floorfeet.jpg

buildfeet2.jpg

feetfloor2-1.jpg

Edited by citylife

Nice shots. It's fun seeing this starting to peek out from various vantage points. Today's Greenville Daily Photo was more or less from the same vantage points of many of the original renderings (http://www.greenvilledailyphoto.com/index.php/2012/03/29/project-one-2/) looking from Coffee Street. BTW, are those pear trees in front of Piazza Bergamo? I've never paid attention to what kind of trees those were. I assume they'll probably be removed when the piazza is redone, but at least there's very few others downtown. :sick: