CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Do we not have a Piazza Bergamo thread? I can't get the search feature to perform correctly, but it seems kind of funny to group this within the "Main at Washington" thread when this is really a "Main at Coffee" topic...

The building on the north side of the Piazza looks really good. I had some reservations about how it might turn out, but the balconies have been painted a bright red, and they really pop against the building's exterior color scheme. Not sure when I'll be back by it, but if anyone beats me to it, snag some photos!

I was downtown today and checked out the site. This was my first time seeing it in person since they were still working on the foundation and first floor. As others have stated, it's amazing how large this structure already feels when you're there in front of it. It will definitely make a positive impact on the pedestrian scale there, but also on the skyline. I'm very excited about this.

Has anyone heard anything else about Erwin-Penland possibly consolidating their operations to a future phase of this project (i.e., the "signature highrise?). I still think that sounds like an outstanding idea. :)

Has anyone heard anything else about Erwin-Penland possibly consolidating their operations to a future phase of this project (i.e., the "signature highrise?). I still think that sounds like an outstanding idea. :)

Haven't heard anything, and I doubt I would anyway.

The only thing E-P related that I've seen is their submittal to the City for way-finding signs to help people navigate and distinguish which operations are where between their three office buildings. I wouldn't say this bodes poorly for the signature building rumors, because any such physical move would still be several years out. In the meantime, their spread out arrangement can be quite confusing. Although it could, I don't think this indicates any permanence for their current set-up.

Edited by GvilleSC

I was downtown today and checked out the site. This was my first time seeing it in person since they were still working on the foundation and first floor. As others have stated, it's amazing how large this structure already feels when you're there in front of it. It will definitely make a positive impact on the pedestrian scale there, but also on the skyline. I'm very excited about this.

Erwin-Penland just got new signage on their building. Not that this would stop them from getting a new building, just sayin.

The size of this development does catch your eye when you see it in person. I am glad this project is getting built, but my one regret about it is that I wish they could have built a single 20 story building and placed it next to the BofA building and limited the Main Street and Washington street frontage to 3 or 4 stories. I appreciate the human scale buildings along Main and think that is a big part of the appeal of the street.

The other high rises in Greenville are set back from the street. The only exceptions to that are the 3 buildings clustered around the Main and Court area and they are all fairly skinny along the street which lessens the impact.

Are there plans to plant some trees along Washington Street by the 11 story building? That would help.

The size of this development does catch your eye when you see it in person. I am glad this project is getting built, but my one regret about it is that I wish they could have built a single 20 story building and placed it next to the BofA building and limited the Main Street and Washington street frontage to 3 or 4 stories. I appreciate the human scale buildings along Main and think that is a big part of the appeal of the street.

The other high rises in Greenville are set back from the street. The only exceptions to that are the 3 buildings clustered around the Main and Court area and they are all fairly skinny along the street which lessens the impact.

Are there plans to plant some trees along Washington Street by the 11 story building? That would help.

I believe in the renderings they have trees.

From Btoy:

The main st. façade started going up on one today.  When I walked in to ffice this morning the first concrete panel was being welded in place also the wooded mold for the 4th floor is gone revealing the overhang and the molding in place for the 6th floor is about ¾ complete.

Hindsight is 20/20 but since both buildings are almost fully leased would building a 20 story building been better than a 9 story and a 11 story one? They could have kept the same amount of ground level retail space but just one tower. What would be the pros and cons? Costwise wouldn't a taller one be more economical than 2 shorter ones?

Hindsight is 20/20 but since both buildings are almost fully leased would building a 20 story building been better than a 9 story and a 11 story one? They could have kept the same amount of ground level retail space but just one tower. What would be the pros and cons? Costwise wouldn't a taller one be more economical than 2 shorter ones?

I kind of like the density that the two towers is affording us.

I keep hearing about this mysterious third tower, but honestly where do you get this info? The main website says nothing about a third tower and why go to all the trouble of building the first two if your going to build a bigger third. Where would it go? Theres no more land.

Phase III is slated for the land bound by Richardson Street, Washington Street, and North Laurens Street. The Parking garage attached to the BoA tower would be demolished...

I keep hearing about this mysterious third tower, but honestly where do you get this info? The main website says nothing about a third tower and why go to all the trouble of building the first two if your going to build a bigger third. Where would it go? Theres no more land.

The third tower is on pretty good authority from people I've spoken with. I don't know anything definitive, but the entirety of this development was never intended to be announced all at once. If you'll notice, the initial press conference outlined these first two buildings (11 stories and 9 stories), Certus Bank HQ, relocation of the Haynesworth, Sinkler, Boyd office, and Anthropologie.

Since then, we've heard about Clemson's occupation of the building (MBA, entrepreneurial center, etc.). We will also be hearing about more retailers, including a bookstore and some clothing retailers. At least one restaurant is also likely to sign on from what I've heard.

The phase which will include the signature tower, from my understanding, has not been finalized but is fairly close. I'm not sure who the main tenant will be, but Erwin-Penland seems to be at the top of the list. It makes sense on several levels, including the fact that they are a homegrown Greenville business that has done well, are dedicated to remaining in the CBD, currently have operations spread over several downtown buildings, and have the national reputation worthy of a really great location. Who knows if it will happen, but I think it's intriguing to say the least.

• Like 1

003-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

It's looking good!

One thing I'd like to see at the completion of this project is a crosswalk (painted, and potentially lit like the crosswalks in the West End) where Washington Street meets North Laurens Street. That intersection is already well traversed with Barley's and Wild Wing foot traffic. I can only imagine how this will increase once ONE opens its doors.

Edited by GvilleSC

If the BOA parking garage is demolished would a new garage be built to accomodate the 4 buildings(BOA and One)?

The Richardson Street garage has over 900 spaces in it. I'm not sure what the daytime occupancy rate is.

The BoA garage seems to be pretty small. I'm not sure what an additional tower would do to the current parking infrastructure.

Edited by GvilleSC