CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

I believe I read that it was built to support a building over it. Does anyone know if that's true?

I'm not sure if that's true or not for the garage's structural support system, but I do remember reading that selling/developing the air rights above the garage was not out of the realm of possibilities.

Greenville Daily Photo (link) featured the following photo today:

DSC06123.jpg

Lots of pedestrian activity going on at Washington & Laurens Streets in this picture. You can also see the progress on tower one in preparation for installing the glass above floor 4.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Greenville News, Clemson University’s board of trustees voted on and approved Thursday to move its Master of Real Estate Development program from the main university campus and its Master of Professional Accountancy program from the University Center of Greenville to the ONE development downtown. They'll be located in the old Bowater building beginning next month until the project is complete.

Edited by citylife

According to the Greenville News, Clemson University’s board of trustees voted on and approved Thursday to move its Master of Real Estate Development program from the main university campus and its Master of Professional Accountancy program from the University Center of Greenville to the ONE development downtown. They'll be located in the old Bowater building beginning next month until the project is complete.

The demand for apartments downtown should only rise with this addition of full time graduate programs. I don't think the two West End proposals will meet the demand. Hopefully we will see another project soon. Maybe one for the city center?

The demand for apartments downtown should only rise with this addition of full time graduate programs. I don't think the two West End proposals will meet the demand. Hopefully we will see another project soon. Maybe one for the city center?

Most of the people taking classes downtown with Clemson are either older people with mortgages and jobs in the suburbs or recent graduates that couldn't afford the prices for downtown housing anyway. This won't increase demand too much, at least not with rentals IMO.

Most of the people taking classes downtown with Clemson are either older people with mortgages and jobs in the suburbs or recent graduates that couldn't afford the prices for downtown housing anyway. This won't increase demand too much, at least not with rentals IMO.

For business students I would believe that to be true. But of the people I have met in the MRED program, they were (for the most part) straight out of undergrad and renting in Clemson. They aren't going to drive up the demand dramatically, but with the large pent up demand that already exist, this will add some additional renters to the market.

I'd say about half of the MRED program students from the two years that I was at Clemson lived in Greenville. So, demand for housing will likely go up a bit with this move. However, don't assume that students will live downtown. MRED is more expensive than most Clemson programs and not all of the students come from money. I knew people who were sharing houses in other parts of the city and I'd expect that to continue.

I'd say about half of the MRED program students from the two years that I was at Clemson lived in Greenville. So, demand for housing will likely go up a bit with this move. However, don't assume that students will live downtown. MRED is more expensive than most Clemson programs and not all of the students come from money. I knew people who were sharing houses in other parts of the city and I'd expect that to continue.

Certainly.