CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

I wouldn't mind seeing more chain stores. I say add as much of a variety of stores that can survive which is why I am always for a McDonald's or another popular fast food place downtown (but not on Main). The chains are usually the ones that hold more hours which is good for the late night crowd. I'm ecstatic Pita Pit is going to be allowed to stay open to 3am on weekends. It's a start to a more vibrant downtown. Maybe people will fill comfortable if most of the chains are off Main as ausrutherfod said. If people want the whole Main Street stretch and the surrounding blocks to fill with retail, corporate stores will have to have more of a presence. They bring people to the area to shop local in my opinion.

I'd like to see downtown Greenville be more like downtown Asheville. There are some chains (Urban Outfitters comes to mind), but they are vastly outnumbered by local/regional stores. ONE will have at least one national retailer, probably more. I say that's enough for the immediate vicinity. The street really isn't that big - too many more and the character of the area quickly changes. Next thing you know, it's bland city.

I'd like to see downtown Greenville be more like downtown Asheville. There are some chains (Urban Outfitters comes to mind), but they are vastly outnumbered by local/regional stores. ONE will have at least one national retailer, probably more. I say that's enough for the immediate vicinity. The street really isn't that big - too many more and the character of the area quickly changes. Next thing you know, it's bland city.

Greenville seems to be a lot cleaner than Asheville. I wish Greenville would get some of Asheville's attitude (and an Urban Outfitters). I still think that there is room for lots of national, regional and local places in the downtown grid. Hopefully eventually all of downtown will be filled up with new buildings and retail from Church to Academy and Beattie to Pendleton on the other end of main

This brings up the recurring issue of what we would like our downtown to be. Like you say, Starbucks and Dunkin's are common and generic. They add no character to a city. Sure, they're not the worst business to have around. A local business like Coffee & Crema, on the other hand, keeps more money in the community, adds something distinctive to the downtown, and makes far superior tasting coffee than Starbucks. I know taste is personal, but I like to delude myself into thinking that if exposed to good coffee, people will eventually realize just how mediocre Starbucks actually is and will get over the brand loyalty they have been duped into. Corporate monoculture is not a good thing, especially in downtown Greenville.

I agree. West End coffee and Leopard Forest coffee is much better and cheaper than Starbucks. I never have understood the attraction to Starbucks. Besides, isn't there already a Starbucks at Riverplace?

Edited by gman

Starbucks? No thanks. I would much rather see a Caribou Coffee myself. I know GSP Airport carries their product or at least did a few years ago.

Cant you can't a place for it off Main though. I mean a good strategy going forward for downtown is to have Main still has the focal point with mostly mom and pap stores or relatively niche regional stores like General Mass Store.

Off of Main would be the more chain stores and eateries. This would allow foot traffic on the side streets, something that is missing as of now.

Even further down the road (metaphorically), Main should be a pedestrian only from College to Broad. This would allow more foot traffic, a non-polluted main drag, and park like surroundings on the street. The through streets like Washington of course would still cut through of course.

This would also increase car traffic on side streets giving way to more businesses popping up on them.

Basically the Downtown Boulder, Colorado model (if anyone else has been there here, its quite nice).

Edited by ausrutherford

What stores are allowed downtown should be the decisions of individual property owners and the prospective tenants with whom they negotiate.

If a landlord wants to rent to Starbucks (yielding higher rent), it's his/her choice.

FYI for people clamoring for an Urban Outfitters: the chain is owned by a politically conservative activist (i.e., a Republican). Figure that fact will kill its appeal to some people on this board.

What stores are allowed downtown should be the decisions of individual property owners and the prospective tenants with whom they negotiate.

If a landlord wants to rent to Starbucks (yielding higher rent), it's his/her choice.

FYI for people clamoring for an Urban Outfitters: the chain is owned by a politically conservative activist (i.e., a Republican). Figure that fact will kill its appeal to some people on this board.

Are you just trying to stir up trouble?

.. and citizens who live in this city have every right (responsibility?) to be part of the discussion. Property rights are all well and good, but we're trying to live in a society. Besides, we're just discussing what we'd like to see. Nobody is talking about forcing decisions about what brand of coffee is allowed to be sold downtown.

.. and citizens who live in this city have every right (responsibility?) to be part of the discussion. Property rights are all well and good, but we're trying to live in a society. Besides, we're just discussing what we'd like to see. Nobody is talking about forcing decisions about what brand of coffee is allowed to be sold downtown.

The community can provide input about whether or not the activity of the business is legal or not (e.g., no X-rated businesses) and whether or not the building meets zoning requirements, which can include requirements for signs, colors, etc. Apart from that, no, the general public's input is-and should be-limited to deciding whether not to patronize a business or not.

You're saying there's "no need" for a Starbucks.

What a hoot this thread has become! How fun! One Greenville development.....the politically (in)correct development.....let's see.....

- An ACORN or Planned Parenthood office for the Libs.

- A Chick-Fil-A or Franklin Covey store for the Conservatives.

- A Billy Reid store for the gays.

- A G-Star Raw store for the "pride" gays.

- A Foot Locker store for the saggy pants gang.

- A Lifeway store for Christians

- A cafeteria (any chain will do) for the Baptist.

- A wine store for the Catholics.

- A press on nail salon for those from the islands.

- A doll / scrapbook / anything done with a glue gun store for the country come to town.

Oh yeah, and we also want Lesbian spending power, so at the opening, there should be a registration for the giveaway of a Subaru Forester.

Sarcasm intended.....

Edit: Oops, sorry to leave people out....

- My partner, being Jewish, just reminded me there MUST be a bank.

- All stores will be required to accept Amex, so that the Occupiers can use mummy and daddies card.

- And yes, one restaurant will definitely serve Bademjan for our Arab brothers.

Edited by gs3

Seeing how we're talking about national retailers within this development....

Call your "supposed" friend at the newspaper if you have a problem with my info. Call the developer. 1 additional lease signed and it is on a website "coming soon". Period.

Eight months later and still nothing regarding this. Sad. Oh and the info regarding leased amount of space is now up on their website: http://www.onegreenville.com/office.php

Phase I Office is 95% leased and Phase II is almost spoken for as well. With only one 20,000sf floor plate left, now is the time to reserve your space in Greenville's iconic new development. LEED Silver construction and shared services mean your employees will be happier and more productive.

Edited by gman430

The community can provide input about whether or not the activity of the business is legal or not (e.g., no X-rated businesses) and whether or not the building meets zoning requirements, which can include requirements for signs, colors, etc. Apart from that, no, the general public's input is-and should be-limited to deciding whether not to patronize a business or not.

You're saying there's "no need" for a Starbucks.

Who is to say what the public's input "should be"? Is there any harm in people trying to lobby the leasing agent of ONE to try and recuit certain types of businesses over others? Or taking other action to encourage inclusion of a certain type of business? Or talking about it on a discussion forum? Maybe it's a waste of their (our) time, but that's their (our) business. Once a business moves in, sure, people can exercise their rights as a consumer. But, consumers can also act proactively and not simply wait for "choice" to be foisted upon them. And again, nobody is talking about having the government require the developer to get Starbucks or not.

Who is to say what the public's input "should be"? Is there any harm in people trying to lobby the leasing agent of ONE to try and recuit certain types of businesses over others? Or taking other action to encourage inclusion of a certain type of business? Or talking about it on a discussion forum? Maybe it's a waste of their (our) time, but that's their (our) business. Once a business moves in, sure, people can exercise their rights as a consumer. But, consumers can also act proactively and not simply wait for "choice" to be foisted upon them. And again, nobody is talking about having the government require the developer to get Starbucks or not.

With respect to government's role in determining businesses that may locate in a certain area, I'm saying that's what the public's input should be. My view is not my opinion; it's how zoning and business license laws work in Greenville and most other places in the US, period, like it or not.

Based on your commentary, you dislike at least some chains and you would like to be able not to have them in some areas downtown. I've lived in some areas in the Northeast where activists with that viewpoint use government to block law-abiding businesses (CVS, Starbucks, etc.) from setting up shop in certain areas, just because those activists don't like the businesses (usually because they're chains) and it's important to me to ensure that doesn't happen in Greenville.

Edited by mallguy

Zheesh. When did this turn into an ACTIVIST board? I thought it was for sharing info about the ONE project, so folks like me who are not in the loop can see what's REALLY coming to downtown.

Honestly, I though we were all Greenvillians who were excited about how great our town is. This constant divisiveness is ridiculous. SO FREAKING WHAT if a store is owned by - or caters to - a particular group? It employs local folks, pays taxes, and provides goods or services. DEAL WITH THAT, those of you who need to be constantly offended!

:offtopic:

OK, tirade over. So what have we heard about phase 3? Or is that taboo since evil straight white men might be involved? <Thast last line is called sarcasm, for you two particular members who have such problems identifying it.> :shades:

• Like 2