CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

You're saying there's "no need" for a Starbucks.

My questioning the need for Starbucks was more related to the number of coffee shops presently (and coming soon) on Main than my preference for other brands. That said, I had coffee tonight at the place that used to be Liquid Highway. I forgot the name already. While enjoying their outside seating area, it occurred to me that having a coffee shop with outdoor seating in Piazza Bergamo would be a very good thing, especially if they're open later in the evening. So, even though I still have questions about how many coffee shops can be supported in that area (Moe Joe's is opening soon), I now think including one in the ONE development is probably a good thing. I still think Starbucks overroasts their coffee so as to achieve a consistent flavor across all their stores.

My questioning the need for Starbucks was more related to the number of coffee shops presently (and coming soon) on Main than my preference for other brands. That said, I had coffee tonight at the place that used to be Liquid Highway. I forgot the name already. While enjoying their outside seating area, it occurred to me that having a coffee shop with outdoor seating in Piazza Bergamo would be a very good thing, especially if they're open later in the evening. So, even though I still have questions about how many coffee shops can be supported in that area (Moe Joe's is opening soon), I now think including one in the ONE development is probably a good thing. I still think Starbucks overroasts their coffee so as to achieve a consistent flavor across all their stores.

Port City Java took the place of Liquid Highway. And before that it was......Port City Java. I think they shut down the first time because the then-owner went bankrupt and ran off with a bunch of money, or something like that. I heard different stories. Either way, I always enjoyed their coffee before so I was glad to see it return. Not sure why Moe Joe's would decide to open pretty much directly across the street though.

Edited by GVLbikeNboard

Not sure why Moe Joe's would decide to open pretty much directly across the street though.

I've heard that Moe Joe's is going to be more for live music and atmosphere, "and by the way, we also have coffee." (This is not a third party, but 27th or so party account. Grain of salt.)

Either way, Port City has great coffee, but zero "coffee house" feel. I think (Caution: Personal opinion alert) Joe Moe's could probably survive with the usual overstuffed chairs, wi-fi, and decent tunes.

So on Main, we'll have at least one Starbucks, Spill The Beans, Moe Joe's, Port City, and Coffee Underground. Eat your heart out, Seattle! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So on Main, we'll have at least one Starbucks, Spill The Beans, Moe Joe's, Port City, and Coffee Underground. Eat your heart out, Seattle! :thumbsup:

A couple of others come to mind, sort of. There's the place connected to The Westin, only open during the day I think. The coffee bar at Grille 33 was out of commission last time I walked by, but they could conceivably get things going again. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hyatt includes at least some kind of coffee kiosk to serve hotel guests. As a former Oregon resident, I'm pleased.

Well, it appears I now know two of the additional tenants if my sources are correct. One is another law firm and the other is a national retailer. That's all I can say though.

After over 16,000 cubic yards of concrete poured and 250,000 man hours worked, the official topping out ceremony is occurring today.

Edited by gman430

I also have always felt this would be a good choice for the development. The Haywood store would likely close though, giving that corridor another blow.

Why would they close the Haywood store? It staysd packed all the time. I don't think a downtown store would have much effect on the Haywood store at all. This would be the 4th Barnes and Noble in Greenville.

• Like 1

Why would they close the Haywood store? It staysd packed all the time. I don't think a downtown store would have much effect on the Haywood store at all. This would be the 4th Barnes and Noble in Greenville.

Seems kind of useless with the one on Woodruff only 2 miles away already. One downtown would make the Haywood even more useless.

Seems kind of useless with the one on Woodruff only 2 miles away already. One downtown would make the Haywood even more useless.

What do you mean when you say, "even more useless"? I have been to both many times. The Haywood store is always just as crowded, if not more crowded. That is probably because it is much easier to get to than the Woodruff Road location. Also, the distance from the Haywood Road location to the Woodruff Road location is at least 5 miles away. It is also at least 20 minutes away. Greenville can handle another location. As a matter of fact, Greenville could handle two more, downtown and near Cherrydale.

But can Barnes and Noble? They are not exactly in great financial straits with ebooks now. The one downtown works better than Haywood due to the foot traffic and the colleges in DT (Both Clemson buildings and future USC Upstate).

It might simply not be worth it for B&N to have three sites within 6 miles of each other.

I could see Barnes & Noble opening a small Clemson U. bookstore like this:

http://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/campus-services/book-store/

But a regular B&N? Not seeing it, since (1) B&N is mainly a suburban chain, (2) it isn't opening that many new stores these days and (3) is the space downtown large enough for a new full-size store?

I may well be wrong, and I hope that I am.

From the Greenville News - "Helen Sanders, a project manager for Hughes Development, which is building One, said so far no more leases have been signed for the retail space not occupied by Anthropologie, but interest has been high. It’s uncertain how many spaces will be available for retail, but probably six or seven, she said."

B&N is clearly not a done deal yet.

From later in the article: "A major bookseller the city has courted likely won’t come so White has turned to another. Likely it will be a bookstore in addition to something else — books and wine, books and coffee. Agnew doesn’t see a bookstore downtown. The book business is iffy on its own and there have been several iterations of bookstores on Main Street, including selling new and used merchandise."

With the growing popularity of Kindles, Nooks, and iPads, and resulting decline in the number of people interested in hard copy books, I don't think a traditional bookstore is the best idea for this development. I'm not saying it won't work, because I think it would be popular. But I don't think it would be a good long-term anchor. The only way I can see it working is if it combines a Clemson-themed college bookstore, some traditional bookstore offerings, and a large area for coffee/reading/hanging out.

I agree with the Greenville News that an Urban Outfitters seems like a possible tenant, given the same owner as Anthropologie.

Can't Greenville EVER get a Brooks Brothers though? I'd think that any additional national retailers that come downtown would be ones that don't have Haywood locations, and Brooks Bros. is one of them.