CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/VideoNetwork/1995283267001/Tupelo-Honey-owner-talks-new-Greenville-location

I don't begrudge anyone their preferences, but listen to this video and it is abundantly clear to me that having a restaurant and ownership like THC is exponentially better than a Cheesecake Factory or other national chain.   

How does this contribute to the discussion?  Why not - If people don't like interesting, local or regional busineses, don't shop at them?  Let the rest of us shop where we want to..

I know my reactions to these issues can sometimes be more pointed than they should, but there are legitimate issues to discuss here.  My position is that Tupelo Honey will help make downtown Greenville more memorable and economically viable than would a Cheesecake Factory (or something even more generic and common, like an Applebees or Chilis).  You certainly don't have to agree, and I'd like to hear other perspectives on the subject, but why dismiss that position by just telling me to get out if I don't like it?

Don't tell me to shut up, especially when my post was not directed at you (or anyone).

FYI, I usually ignore your posts anyhow.  So calm down.

You're entitled to your view, but I am also entitled to mine.

My position, which is that the free market, rather than community activists, should determine which businesses locate in an area, is one that plenty of other people hold.  Perhaps not in places such as Queens or the Bronx or wherever you're from, but in plenty of places, it is.

Edited by mallguy

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/VideoNetwork/1995283267001/Tupelo-Honey-owner-talks-new-Greenville-location

I don't begrudge anyone their preferences, but listen to this video and it is abundantly clear to me that having a restaurant and ownership like THC is exponentially better than a Cheesecake Factory or other national chain.   

Here is today's Greenville News article :

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20121130/DOWNTOWN/311300011/Downtown-Greenville-sees-restaurant-revival?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

I can't believe the firestorm on here over not having a Cheesecake Factory as a part of the announced tenants. :blink:

If Cheesecake Factory WANTS to come to downtown Greenville (or Woodruff Road, or Haywood Road) they WILL! Just because we have no evidence to suggest that they City (or Hughes) is courting them, does NOT indicate that they are denying them the right to open

I'm not sure why some people think this is the last piece of real estate available in downtown, or why they think this would be the only place a national chain restaurant would consider...???

-----

Anyway, work on this development is coming along nicely!

• Like 1

I remember if a tenant and project like this got announced on this sub-forum several years ago, all you would hear is nothing but praise and good things about it. Nowadays though all I see are posts complaining about it being too big, too ugly, too short, too boxy, too pointy, too pricey, too cheap, not high end enough, too high end, not national, national, restaurant instead of retailer, sucky project name, etc. Most metro areas especially of Greenville's size would kill for a development of this magnitude in their downtown area right now so be thankful we're even getting this.

Oh and FYI...Hughes and the city stated when ONE was announced that they wanted a very nice mix of local, regional, and national tenants. Guess what? That's what we're getting. If Cheesecake Factory wants to come then great. If they don't then so be it.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

I can't believe the firestorm on here over not having a Cheesecake Factory as a part of the announced tenants. :blink:

^  Agreed!  The last few pages of this thread show a good deal of what is wrong with Greenville and why I have become dis-enchanted lately, to the point that I am moving the regional offices for my company to Dallas.  Small minded thinking........time for Greenvillians to grow up if they want to get to the next level. 

^  Agreed!  The last few pages of this thread show a good deal of what is wrong with Greenville and why I have become dis-enchanted lately, to the point that I am moving the regional offices for my company to Dallas.  Small minded thinking........time for Greenvillians to grow up if they want to get to the next level. 

I have been to Dallas several times recently. Good luck in that jungle. I would take Greenville over Dallas any day of the week. 

Good, at least we won't have to hear your negative shenanigans anymore. 

I contemplated saying this in fear of reinforcing your shortsighted opinions but as you can see I decided against it. 

Edited by scgubers

Good, at least we won't have to hear your negative shenanigans anymore. 

I contemplated saying this in fear of reinforcing your shortsighted opinions but as you can see I decided against it. 

And same back to you my friend. I've ignored your small minded post for months now. MAYBE, just MAYBE, one day, short sighted comments like yours will be a thing of the past in Greenville. Until then, Greenville will wallow in the bickersome state this thread exemplified well before I ever commented. So glad you are happy to see Greenville lose a business with multiple 6 figure employees. You're one smart cookie man.....one smart cookie. Kudos to you, Greenville wiill certainly thrive with your kind of attitude. :rolleyes:

Any city that has the ability to change the mind and run off some of its previously biggest boosters, has some issues to work out.  Grow up Greenville.

Edited by gs3

I would expect to be run out of my job if I went to my boss and said that I wanted to move my division hundreds of miles away to a totally different city just because people on a message board (or in general) were argumentative, or the like.

Moving back to the topic, I am glad that Tupelo Honey is coming; it has gotten a slew of positive reviews online, and so I would guess that it'll be another magnet, like Mast General Store is. 

Edited by mallguy

I would expect to be run out of my job if I went to my boss and said that I wanted to move my division hundreds of miles away to a totally different city just because people on a message board (or in general) were argumentative, or the like.

Moving back to the topic, I am glad that Tupelo Honey is coming; it has gotten a slew of positive reviews online, and so I would guess that it'll be another magnet, like Mast General Store is.

LMAO. Smallguy, you always provide great humor. SURELY, your reading comprehension lets you understand this board is INDICATIVE of general Greenville behavior. Anyone who would move a company due to a message board would be an idiot. Anyone who views posts on a message board as indicative of local behavior......well, they see the truth.....and moving a company because of local behavior, tax policies, city policies, work ethic, local education level, etc, is....well.....is simply good business. Thanks for your years of humor! I'm sure you'll continue to make us chuckle. Cheers!

Now back to that fabulous show......To Cheesecake or Not.

Edited by gs3

Guys, I am a long-time lurker and an infrequent poster, but I feel the need to comment on Metropolitan Area's recent posts.  I spent two wonderful years in Greenville and then made a job-related move to Dallas one year ago.  I can tell that, if given the opportunity, I would move back to Greenville in a heartbeat.  Certainly, Dallas has it's positives - job center, tons of corporate HQ's, dynamic real estate community, DFW airport, great art scene, educated workforce, every store and restaurant you can imagine.  However, there is no soul here.  No sense of community and very little sense of place.  Dallas is the definition of sprawl.  Clogged highways, higher property taxes, higher cost of living, poor infrastrucure, poor schools (except for the exurbs), bad architecture, few historic buildings.  There are tons of developments going on here, but none of them excite me as much as reading about all of things going on in Greenville right now.  Sure, Greenville doesn't have everything that Dallas has, but that's not such a bad thing.  There's something to be said for a place like Greenville that values things like keeping Main Street and downtown unique (Dallas' downtown is huge, but a ghost town after 5:00), has a vibrant downtown, good public schoos, low cost of living, and the ability to be anywhere in 15 minutes.

Metropolitain, best of luck with your move to Dallas, but I think Greenville will be just fine without you.

• Like 1

Guys, I am a long-time lurker and an infrequent poster, but I feel the need to comment on Metropolitan Area's recent posts.  I spent two wonderful years in Greenville and then made a job-related move to Dallas one year ago.  I can tell that, if given the opportunity, I would move back to Greenville in a heartbeat.  Certainly, Dallas has it's positives - job center, tons of corporate HQ's, dynamic real estate community, DFW airport, great art scene, educated workforce, every store and restaurant you can imagine.  However, there is no soul here.  No sense of community and very little sense of place.  Dallas is the definition of sprawl.  Clogged highways, higher property taxes, higher cost of living, poor infrastrucure, poor schools (except for the exurbs), bad architecture, few historic buildings.  There are tons of developments going on here, but none of them excite me as much as reading about all of things going on in Greenville right now.  Sure, Greenville doesn't have everything that Dallas has, but that's not such a bad thing.  There's something to be said for a place like Greenville that values things like keeping Main Street and downtown unique (Dallas' downtown is huge, but a ghost town after 5:00), has a vibrant downtown, good public schoos, low cost of living, and the ability to be anywhere in 15 minutes.

Metropolitain, best of luck with your move to Dallas, but I think Greenville will be just fine without you.

Just to clarify, "Metropolitan Area" isn't his screenname; that represents a "ranking" of sorts based on how many posts you've accumulated. For instance, your's is "Unincorporated Area" because you have relatively few posts. His screenname is gs3, located in the bar above "Metropolitan Area" (like your's, Clark, you serious?, is located above "Unincorporated Area").