CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

And there it is. :) I count 11-12 stories. Don't know the exact height though in feet.

The conceptual design is fairly interesting. Does anyone know which side/end is shown?

Looks like the parking garage side is along Richardson while the retail side is along West Washington.

Edited by gman430

Without further details available, the conceptual rendering indicates another non-signature mid-rise. If it is built for a hotel, then it will likely be approximately the same height as the phase two tower along West Washington Street, if not shorter.

Yep. Remember how I kept saying 10-15 stories tall and not to get overly excited?

Edited by gman430

This whole thing seems a little odd to me.  Why wouldn't Hughes have a big announcement on this, rather than just let it come to light via a filing?  I think this might be a 'working' or 'in-progress' design just to get the garage approved. 

Plus that 'concept' drawing is very simplistic. 

Does anyone else think I might be right? 

Edited by vicupstate

This whole thing seems a little odd to me.  Why wouldn't Hughes have a big announcement on this, rather than just let it come to light via a filing?  I think this might be a 'working' or 'in-progress' design just to get the garage approved. 

Its a bit different than Phase I or II due to the city needing extra time to build the garage. Im sure they will have a full announcement with renderings closer to the demolishing of the old garage.

This whole thing seems a little odd to me. Why wouldn't Hughes have a big announcement on this, rather than just let it come to light via a filing? I think this might be a 'working' or 'in-progress' design just to get the garage approved.

I'm still wondering which corner of the proposed development is shown in the rendering. It is simplistic, which allows us to hope for something at least a bit more "signature" than indicated. I'm not complaing about the increase of density, just hoping to see something that maximizes the site's potential. Could a 20+ level building be feasible there? Would high end condominiums be justifiable? Is another rooftop restaurant or entertainment/event venue possible in that location?

Just looking at different ways to add more quality attractions (people magnets) for locals and visitors. The retail component may satisfy some of that desire. What is the status of the large bi-level retail space in the phase two tower?

More attractions should lead to more corporate offices.

I'm still wondering which corner of the proposed development is shown in the rendering. It is simplistic, which allows us to hope for something at least a bit more "signature" than indicated. I'm not complaing about the increase of density, just hoping to see something that maximizes the site's potential. Could a 20+ level building be feasible there? Would high end condominiums be justifiable? Is another rooftop restaurant or entertainment/event venue possible in that location?

I believe this building's shape is derived from the angle of the first building. Kind of like a continuation of that building, conceptually speaking. So I believe North Laurens Street is on the right and it comes to it's sharp angle at Richardson/Washington intersection..?

It's a conspiracy.

The rendering is shown looking at the corner of Richardson and Washington I believe.

Edited by gman430

I believe this building's shape is derived from the angle of the first building. Kind of like a continuation of that building, conceptually speaking. So I believe North Laurens Street is on the right and it comes to it's sharp angle at Richardson/Washington intersection..?

That was my thought as well. It would apparently allow for retail space along West Washington and North Laurens while also providing access to the hotel from the renovated plaza (North Laurens pedestrian corridor), Richardson, and West Washington.

I have heard it may be a W Hotel

That would be big for little 'ol Greenville to get a W hotel, as they are only in "important" cities.  I personally hate the W chain, as I find them to be trying way too hard to be cool with their silly looking "funky" furniture and techno lobby music.  But I realize some people love W hotels, and hopefully if Greenville gets one, enough people visiting and staying downtown will disagree with me.  :thumbsup:

I'm guessing the rumor has morphed a little.  I heard "Aloft by W", which make sense, as most Alofts are in the 100 to 200 room range.  The typical full line W tends to be greater than 300 rooms and obviously, in higher profile cities.  With 125 rooms expected for this, count on the lesser Aloft, if Starwood makes a deal.  Also, given the set-up (hotel on top of parking garage / retail), this is a very common set-up for the Aloft brand (think Aloft at Epicentre in Charlotte).

Edited by gs3

From the Greenville News:

-Hotel brand to be announced within next 60 days.

-Eleven floors tall total but final design is up to hotel company.

-Embassy Suites at Riverplace is still a 'go' according to Windsor Aughtry.

-All 470 parking spots in future garage already spoken for.

-Another building by Hughes is planned at Laurens and Washington Streets separate from this.

-35,000-45,000 square feet of office, retail, and residential space.

-Three to four floors along Laurens Street for mixed use and one floor along Washington Street for retail use.

-No leases have been signed yet.

Edited by gman430

From the Greenville News:

-Hotel brand to be announced within next 60 days.

-Eleven floors tall total but final design is up to hotel company.

-Embassy Suites at Riverplace is still a 'go' according to Windsor Aughtry.

-All 470 parking spots in future garage already spoken for.

-Another building by Hughes is planned at Laurens and Washington Streets separate from this.

-35,000-45,000 square feet of office, retail, and residential space.

-Three to four floors along Laurens Street for mixed use and one floor along Washington Street for retail use.

-No leases have been signed yet.

Kudo's Gman for separating the rumor from the reality on this project all these months. I wonder if the 20 stories + were just rumor all along or someone pulled out along the way.

Glad to hear that there are future plans for Laurans and Washington, but I still wonder how the bus station issue is going to be handled. Can something be built over it, or will it move?

Where would there be room left at Washington and Laurens for another building?

Don't know unless it is going on the transit center site. Trying to find out more info. Here is the exact quote:

"Hughes said he also plans a new building at the corner of Washington and Laurens for a partnership that formally owned a building at the corner that was razed to make room for One."