CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Yeah, my pessimistic side tells to give up on this redevlopment project. This one seems to be taking as long as the "Gateway Site." The only thing we ever hear about this one is, "four more months", "next summer", "sometime next year", etc... :rolleyes::whistling:

This eyesore is practically ground zero for downtown tourism too. I think the value of hiding architecture and areas that detract from the aesthetic of tourist destinations has long been established. The cost/benefit and the very low level of expense to, at the very least, temporarily reface, repaint, whatever this area would go a long way to improving the downtown experience for potential visitors and consumers. How a bout we put new clean windows in this thing, put pro-greenville CVB type displays in them, and repaint the exterior above it? We could even lease this potentially lucrative high traffic advertising space to help support its initial expense! As long as its tasteful, I have no problem with this.

Speaking of the CVB, do we have a pro-tourist motto/slogan? Even a big ole "Thanks for visiting Greenville, yadda yadda yadda" sign with a bunch of smiling people on it would be better than a building that looks like it might fall on you as you walk by it. :)

Edited by gvegascple

• 1 month later...

Downtown plan put on hold

TIC Properties adding property, working with city on Main Street concept.

They expect to purchase their remaining interest in the Woolworth's building this week, giving the investors ownership of more than two acres bordered roughly by Richardson, Washington, and Main streets and Piazza Bergamo.

I'm crossing my fingers that nothing stops the property transfer. Just to FINALLY, and I do mean FINALLY have clear title on that parcel is huge acomplishment that had been YEARS ands YEARS in the making.

Kinda disappointed to hear the garage may be staying though. It does sound as though the final design is far from finished however.

This is a HUGE opportunity to take DT and Main street to a whole new level, and strengthen the connection between the Poinsett area of S. main and the Hyatt end of Main.

The city really needs to get something going with Piazza Bergamo, so I'm glad this impediment will hopefully be removed soon.

Don't expect the garage to remain as is though. That whole block will be set for major changes once the investors own all portions. I am very excited by the info that they are working closely with the City to ensure everything meets satisfaction along with the Piazza Bergamo renovation. I hope the plaza is expanded and includes retail space as well. A nice small souvenir shop would be great there, as would other attractive shops with overhead residential and/or office space. This could be the chance of a lifetime for the City to produce something truly unique and unforgettable as part of a larger development. Of course, the same could be said of future phases at RiverPlace.

Don't expect the garage to remain as is though. That whole block will be set for major changes once the investors own all portions. I am very excited by the info that they are working closely with the City to ensure everything meets satisfaction along with the Piazza Bergamo renovation. I hope the plaza is expanded and includes retail space as well. A nice small souvenir shop would be great there, as would other attractive shops with overhead residential and/or office space. This could be the chance of a lifetime for the City to produce something truly unique and unforgettable as part of a larger development. Of course, the same could be said of future phases at RiverPlace.

My response probably belongs in the Piazza Bergamo thread, but I'll put it here anyway: I agree...couldn't you just see the Piazza surrounded by store fronts and restaurants with plenty of outdoor dining space? And some sort of centerpiece attraction in the middle of the piazza (other than a carousel...although a carousel may attract lots of families)?

• 1 month later...

I ate lunch at Barley's today, and while I was there a group of builder/developer-looking types were examining this property across the street. They seemed to be in deep conversation about the connection of the Woolworth's building to the small building on the corner across from Barley's. I'm guessing they were talking about the feasibility of tearing down the Woolworth's without harming the other building.

Edited by StrangeCock

• 2 months later...

I talked to a guy at work the other day that says he is one of the owners of the new cafe going into next to the wild wing. He is from the Bronx and moved to FL then here so they call him a half back. Hadnt heard that before and thought it was funny. Anyway he told me they are going to have authentic gelato and, without bad-mouthing anyone, says they will be alone in that respect. I am posting this because I remember TR i think saying he wished for some good gelato close to piazza bergamo and it looks like he will get his wish.

I've been very interested in this place for a while. There's nothing like a good, authentic gelato. I don't even really like ice cream that much, but gelato is awesome. Can't wait for it to open.

But I do have one concern. It looks like they've gone the high-end route. The building looks beautiful. But I really think that price is going to be a concern. If they try to price their gelato too high, they will fail. I think $4 is a good line. If a cup of gelato costs more than $4, they will go out of business. If they can keep it below $4, they can succeed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have the Journal in front of me but John mentioned some thing about the West Washington street site again in the TBA column and I noticed that they have replace the broken glass. :dontknow:

I had a assumed that the whole block would be demolished and it would become some new structure...

Could some one be interested in refurbishing and leasing the present building instead? :dontknow:

Maybe we will have a new business on main street sooner than we thought?? :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously though - this Washington & Main block reminds me of the downtown crossing area of Boston. I think something similar could work well there and not detract from the pedestrial feel of Main either.

I'm not familiar with the downtown crossing area of Boston. Can you share more info?

I'm not familiar with the downtown crossing area of Boston. Can you share more info?

Well - the area town is at the intersection of Washington Street (oddly enough) and Summer/Winter Streets, a block or two from Boston Common and the (new) state house...and it is right above a T (the subway) stop on the orange and red lines, if I recall (maybe the green and blue too - don't remember). There's a nice indoor shopping mall in a building on one corner and other retail and restaurants all around. It's essentially (in my opinion) the heart of Boston the same way North Main used to be the heart of Greenville (that heart has migrated toward RiverPlace/Falls Park now). That great Borders Book Store in Downtown Boston that we've mentioned in this thread a few times is just a few blocks up Washington Street, too.

Maybe jarvisj3 can share some more information on it. I've not been there for several years. I can't imagine it's changed that much, though.

Here's a link. It could definitely work in Greenville.

http://www.downtowncrossing.org/

Great link, Dr. J! This is PERFECT. It shows much more than I could explain.

Well - the area town is at the intersection of Washington Street (oddly enough) and Summer/Winter Streets, a block or two from Boston Common and the (new) state house...and it is right above a T (the subway) stop on the orange and red lines, if I recall (maybe the green and blue too - don't remember). There's a nice indoor shopping mall in a building on one corner and other retail and restaurants all around. It's essentially (in my opinion) the heart of Boston the same way North Main used to be the heart of Greenville (that heart has migrated toward RiverPlace/Falls Park now). That great Borders Book Store in Downtown Boston that we've mentioned in this thread a few times is just a few blocks up Washington Street, too.

Maybe jarvisj3 can share some more information on it. I've not been there for several years. I can't imagine it's changed that much, though.

I lived in Boston a few summers ago and remember this area being really cool retail-wise - sort of the center of retail in downtown Boston. It has a lot of stuff, including Filene's Basement (a personal favorite), H&M, DSW, etc. It seemed very well-planned, and I think something like it would be great for us in Greenville.

Unfortunately, I remember a lot of homeless people congregating there. I also remember feeling like it became dead in the evenings. The idea would certainly work in Greenville though, as I do not see it being a hangout for homeless people. I hope jarvisj3 will add his thoughts...

Edited by Greenville

From what I've seen on here and read, I agree that this would be a great addition to downtown Greenville! North Main is doing fine, but can you imagine what such a boost would do for it? Adding destination retail, lots of residential, and office space... I like what I'm envisioning through y'all's discussion.