CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Bumping this thread, because as of today, I'm hearing that something could start soon. Can anyone verify?

TBA in this week's Journal said that we should hear something about this project within 30 days. I'm still waiting to hear about the Gateway Project, myself...is that 30 days up yet? :rolleyes:

Bumping this thread, because as of today, I'm hearing that something could start soon. Can anyone verify?

I heard that it will have a large, well-known bookstore. As in, it will at least be well-known regionally, if not nationally. Keeping my fingers crossed for a multi-level store. :)

TBA in this week's Journal said that we should hear something about this project within 30 days. I'm still waiting to hear about the Gateway Project, myself...is that 30 days up yet? :rolleyes:

:lol: Hopefully this '30 days' is actually 30 calender days from TODAY. I'm really excited about getting the details on this one.

I heard that it will have a large, well-known bookstore. As in, it will at least be well-known regionally, if not nationally. Keeping my fingers crossed for a multi-level store. :)

Anything less in that particular location would be a tragedy, in my humble opinion. A large destination retail book store is an absolute must for that end of Main...either that or a small multiplex cinema.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Could be Davis-Kidd/Joseph-Beth. They are owned by the same company and more in the southeast and midwest area. They only have 7 stores total and are very well done. I've been to the Joseph Beth in Charlotte and the Davis-Kidd in Nashville. They are 1 1/2 or 2 level stores.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the site has been purchased and TIC is right now in the design phase. Announcement regarding this development is scheduled to come out sometime this summer/fall with demolition and construction starting in late 2008/early 2009. Delivery of project is mid-late 2010. Border's, Walgreens, and others are on their tenant target list. It's hard to say right now due to on-going negotiations whether they will locate there or not. The project will be first class. That's a guarantee.

Edited by citylife

Any chance of an urban segment Best Buy or a Best Buy Mobile Store? I've been trying to get in the ears of management for a while now about getting in early down here and that DT needs a first class cell phone store. The Mobile Store is one of our new pushes for 2008 with stand alones in Spartanburg and Anderson, but not Greenville if you can believe that. Those places are going in the malls and I'm trying to tell them about downtown being a better value proposition with lower rent than the mall (for now) and it being the future of our community.

Any chance of an urban segment Best Buy or a Best Buy Mobile Store? I've been trying to get in the ears of management for a while now about getting in early down here and that DT needs a first class cell phone store. The Mobile Store is one of our new pushes for 2008 with stand alones in Spartanburg and Anderson, but not Greenville if you can believe that. Those places are going in the malls and I'm trying to tell them about downtown being a better value proposition with lower rent than the mall (for now) and it being the future of our community.

I highly doubt you will see a Best Buy in this development unfortunately. One is already slated for Easley Town Center. I'm not sure about the mobile store though.

Edited by citylife

With a late 08 early 09 demolition target date, I wonder if that will hold up the BOA redesign of the piazza. Does anyone know if TIC is working that into the design or are they two completely different projects? All that I have heard about the BOA project is that they are removing the bridge that blocks the view to their building from Main and that they originally just wanted plain concrete from the street all the way to their front door with no green space until local architects explained to them that people actually use that space including children who play in the grass.

Gvegascple, the piazza is a city funded project separate from TIC's project on woolworth site. I imagine TIC is working with the city though to help it compliment their development. From my understanding, the reason you haven't seen construction or deconstruction start on it yet is because the city doesn't currently have the money to fund it.

How sure are you about the Easley location?

They're currently in negotiations with the developer to put a store that will most likely be 30,000 square feet on site. I would give it a 75% chance of happening. The Greenville metro area is becoming large enough to handle two Best Buy's seeing how there are already two Circuit City's less than ten minutes apart.

Edited by citylife

It would be nice if the Woolworth's lunch counter could be saved. As I understand it, it played an important part in Greenville's civil rights movement. Perhaps the counter could be placed along a wall in the lobby, along with period photographs and newspaper articles, etc. :)

It would be nice if the Woolworth's lunch counter could be saved. As I understand it, it played an important part in Greenville's civil rights movement. Perhaps the counter could be placed along a wall in the lobby, along with period photographs and newspaper articles, etc. :)

I believe the building is empty inside. I remember the last time I was in there, for a sporting goods sale, about eight years ago, the structure was empty except for supporting columns and light fixtures.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the city, 200,000 SF of Office, 20,000-30,000 SF Retail and a Hospitality Pad.

Can anyone speculate as to how tall this will be, given the footprint of the site? I am assuming it will have retail on the first level (and hopefully the second as well), with offices above.

I had always imagined this being a dense mid-rise structure (or collection of structures), rather than anything with height. Anyone care to wager a guess based on the square footage?

What is a hospitality pad?

Can anyone speculate as to how tall this will be, given the footprint of the site? I am assuming it will have retail on the first level (and hopefully the second as well), with offices above.

I had always imagined this being a dense mid-rise structure (or collection of structures), rather than anything with height. Anyone care to wager a guess based on the square footage?

What is a hospitality pad?

You have to remember that this is a big site. It might consist of a highrise and it might not. A hospitality pad is another term for hotel.