CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

This is one of two public parking garages currently under construction downtown. However, they will both be accompanying new developments and their populations.

Someone was telling me that their office is having to pay daily for parking because all monthly parking permits are currently maxed out at City garages. Lanier's lots are also all leased, with the only openings being at the First Pres lot behind the Greenville Summit. So, my question is will these new garages assist in this parking squeeze being experienced at the moment? Or simply be enough to satisfy the new demand? Any idea?

This is one of two public parking garages currently under construction downtown. However, they will both be accompanying new developments and their populations.

Someone was telling me that their office is having to pay daily for parking because all monthly parking permits are currently maxed out at City garages. Lanier's lots are also all leased, with the only openings being at the First Pres lot behind the Greenville Summit. So, my question is will these new garages assist in this parking squeeze being experienced at the moment? Or simply be enough to satisfy the new demand? Any idea?

The one at Main was for just the new demand. If I remember right, they are all taken by the hotel and the retail stores. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article today says the Aloft is planning to open in November. Hughes says the interest in the retail space is very high. Sounds like we should be able to land a good mix of tenants.

I'm also looking forward to the market component coming to the backside of the Richardson Street garage to the north of this site. There wasn't an update on the plans for it though.

They're doing work to the dark green building that faces North Laurens Street next to Mast General. Scaffolding and tarps were up today. It appears that they are replacing the windows maybe? It wasn't clear as to what exactly was going on or the extent of the work.

I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic changes to those buildings in order to make them appear less "back of house" with their rather plain faces. However, I know they just refurbished the blue building next door. It looks "better", but leaves a lot to be desired between their window & door choices, articulation of details, and texture on the facade. 

One thought: perhaps Richardson Street could be narrowed or at least some streetscaping and other visual enhancements to the buildings could be added along the east side of the street?  2 parking garages + a 1970s office building, while great in that they add density, could be a little bit more attractive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Gville News:

The idea started with juice. Specifically, cold-pressed juice made with organic fruits and vegetables. But then it evolved into much more.

Table 301 Restaurant Group is taking a step far outside the bounds of its other restaurants with a new concept that will highlight healthy, vegan and raw fare.

When it opens in early May, Southern Pressed Juicery will be a first not just for Table 301, but for Greenville as well. The raw juice bar will offer cold-pressed organic juices like you've never seen before. The process of cold pressing preserves the antioxidants in the fruits and vegetables, giving each juice an added boost of flavor and nutrition.

In addition, Southern Pressed will feature a food menu as well. While there will be a few items that will be made to order, most will be made fresh daily and available in a deli-style grab-and-go case. And these are not your typical chicken salad sandwiches and cobb salads. Well, actually, there likely will be a cobb salad, but one made with kale, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, coconut jerky, raw ranch dressing and sunflower sprouts.

"I love to go travel to New York, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and find concepts there and see what Greenville is missing here," says Carl Sobocinski, owner of Table 301. "People for years have said we need a vegan restaurant in Greenville or we need this or that. And we do but we were doing big projects in 6,000 to 8,000 square feet. Then when we did Paserelle and Papi's I realized wow these smaller spaces are a little less intense."

The 1,300 square foot juice bar offers a new opportunity to try something a bit more niche without the pressure of filling 100 seats a night, Sobocinski says.

The idea for a cold-pressed juice concept started with Olivia Esquivel. The local PR consultant who'd also done work with Table 301, fell in love with cold-pressed juice in Miami. Cold-pressed juices are made in such a way as to maintain an even temperature, preventing any heating to occur. The result, says Esquivel, is a much more nutritious product.

When she settled in Greenville, Esquivel says she saw a need for a more health-conscious restaurant, but the city didn't quite seem ready, she says. But the city has evolved over the past few years, thanks to the Swamp Rabbit Trail, a larger health and wellness community and more interest in local food.

Last summer, Esquivel brought the idea of a juice bar back out, and took it straight to Sobocinski.

"My pitch to Carl was that this rounds out 301," Esquivel explains with a grin. "Now, you've got a range of concepts that anyone can really look to 301 for, no matter what their palate is or what their nutritional focus is and find a home."

Sobocinski saw potential.

Really, Sobocinski says, this new concept, even with as how different as it may seem, is really in keeping with Table 301's long running approach to new restaurants. The group as a whole has always preferred to look for completely new ideas when it comes to new ventures.

"We're not going to open another Lowcountry southern restaurant," Sobocinski says. "We've gone from southern Lowcountry to gastro pub to Mediterranean to French bistro to a taqueria to now a health and wellness concept. The next one will be something else that we don't have."

Initially, the idea was just to focus on cold-pressed juice. But then, Esquivel met Xavier Bonnafous and the juice bar idea evolved.

Bonnafous brings a wealth of experience in the vegan and vegetarian culinary world. Having grown up in southern France, the chef developed a passion for wholesome, seasonal eating early. That passion grew as he moved in to jobs with various restaurants and eventually to Whole Foods.

Bonnafous moved to Greenville briefly to work at Whole Foods here, but a family issue took him back to Miami. While in Miami, Bonnafous started his own catering company and developed a niche for vegan and vegetarian food. It was his special raw pasta made with zucchini that convinced Esquivel.

That dish will likely make an appearance at Southern Pressed Juicery, too, along with other specialty salads, raw homemade energy bars, raw oat bowls, smoothie bowls with superfruits like acai and goji berries and homemade raw granola.

Southern Pressed is set up to appeal to a wide variety of tastes. The menu lists the properties of each juice and smoothie like energizing, or cleansing, or immune boosting. Juices range from detoxifiers to sweet greens, which are better for novices, and deep greens, which are more intense in flavor and impact. There are also a slew of nut milk based juices as well, and smoothies, all of which are equally diverse.

Esquivel, Sobocinski and Bonnafous have been careful with their sourcing. All produce used will be organic and local when possible, and incorporate nutrition boosting ingredients like blue-green algae, lauded for its anti-viral properties and maca powder, known for helping balance hormones and the endocrine system.

Juices run from the simpler like the Summer Nights, with watermelon and mint, to the more complex like the Holy water, with grapefruit and lemon with ginger to balance the flavors of cayenne and turmeric or the Big Green, apple, cucumber, kale, spinach, dandelion, parsley, sunflower sprouts, blue-green algae.

"Part of our initial concern was trying to make sure the concept wasn't too intense," Esquivel says. "We don't want you to feel that unless you're vegan you're not going to find something. That's the benefit of having a real raw foods chef, is anybody can enjoy it."

To that end, Southern Pressed will be set up as a community gathering place. The bar will feature Wi-Fi and comfortable seating and tables where people can easily relax or work for an hour. Eventually, the juice bar will also add community classes like yoga or ones on juicing and nutrition that will help demystify some of the ingredients.

"I think as Greenville continues to be on the map and is compared to cities like Austin, I think it says a lot about Table 301 to continue to push the envelope," Esquivel says. "I don't want to bring Miami to Greenville but I want Greenville to always be looking to get better. And we think this is something that helps Greenville to the next level.

"We don't have to wait for somebody from LA to come in and bring a concept here, we can do it ourselves and continue to put Greenville on the map."

Southern Pressed Juicery will be located at the ONE building between Orvis and Brooks Brothers For more information follow the Twitter hashtag #JuicySecret and look out for information at www.AJuicySecret.com.