CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

On 12/18/2015 at 8:25 AM, vicupstate said:

Seriously? 

I think the gray is maybe not the best choice here, considering the ONE buildings next door, but I like the base part. 

The exterior neon lights are on now and make a good compliment to the ones on the BofA and ONE buildings.  

The base is fine, but the 'tower" part just doesn't do it for me. It is just so incredibly boxy and bland. There is a total lack of character, color, or creativity. The one or two whites stripes does nothing to detract for any of that. It looks like an all gray version of the Towers East. Perhaps I am the only one, and that is fine. I just think that, like so many other new buildings coming up, it could have been so much nicer looking with a little creativity and less boxiness. As I have said before, it seems like the design and review board is so picky over some small details sometimes, but when it comes to the big picture of the design of projects they approve some awful looking things. I don't know - maybe it's just me. 

1 hour ago, mallguy said:

It'll be terribly dated in 15 years.  Downtown should have consistent architecture, with buildings that complement one another.  Most of downtown's core does, but this does not.

See to me it already looks dated. The separated double windows looks like something from the 60s and the dark gray concrete just eliminates any possibility of style or classiness. Just think it was a HUGE waste of an opportunity here. 

I'm with both of the last posts.  I think the best part of the building is down at the Laurens St alley level, but beyond that, it's pretty boring, especially along Richardson St.  It's unfortunate they didn't have any kind of storefront wrapping the corner at least partially down Richardson.  Instead we're left with bare walls and parking garages the whole block, killing the hopes of activating anything off Main St in that area. After walking down the Laurens St alley this past weekend, I was also disappointed in the complete lack of plantings or the street level lighting that was originally designed.  The alley is nothing but pavers from one wall to another, and looks empty and bare.  I think the one good looking part of the area is still the metal gate of nuts and bolts on the service area at the back of the ONE building.   

^Personally, I hope these developers continue to build wood frame apartment buildings downtown just to piss off the negative Nancy's even more. 

4 hours ago, sc smitty said:

I'm with both of the last posts.  I think the best part of the building is down at the Laurens St alley level, but beyond that, it's pretty boring, especially along Richardson St.  It's unfortunate they didn't have any kind of storefront wrapping the corner at least partially down Richardson.  Instead we're left with bare walls and parking garages the whole block, killing the hopes of activating anything off Main St in that area. After walking down the Laurens St alley this past weekend, I was also disappointed in the complete lack of plantings or the street level lighting that was originally designed.  The alley is nothing but pavers from one wall to another, and looks empty and bare.  I think the one good looking part of the area is still the metal gate of nuts and bolts on the service area at the back of the ONE building.   

Yeah, you're right. They should have just left the site with an ugly parking garage and lot. :rolleyes: How dare they build a great mixed use development here. Shame on Hughes. 

And regarding killing activity off of Main Street: aren't most of these store fronts off Main Street? Pretty sure all of the retail space at Aloft, BofA, Tupelo Honey, Orvis, etc are: http://onegreenville.com/retailers.php

Edited by gman430

Laurens Street is definitely not completed as the city just voted to fund that. 

The Richardson Street comment is off base IMO. Garage entrances and loading docks, etc. have to go somewhere and that is all Richardson Street has on that block already. The other side is church property that will never be activated most days and times. Richardson is a service/access street and every DT has a few of those. 

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

^Personally, I hope these developers continue to build wood frame apartment buildings downtown just to piss off the negative Nancy's even more. 

Yeah, you're right. They should have just left the site with an ugly parking garage and lot. :rolleyes: How dare they build a great mixed use development here. Shame on Hughes. 

And regarding killing activity off of Main Street: aren't most of these store fronts off Main Street? Pretty sure all of the retail space at Aloft, BofA, Tupelo Honey, Orvis, etc are: http://onegreenville.com/retailers.php

Gman I think you are missing the point here. You are talking about projects. Many times I have said that we have fantastic projects but often terrible architecture - they are two different aspects of a new development. You can get both wrong, one or the other right, or both right. A great development gets both right (IMO FWIW). Sometimes we get both right. Obviously no place gets them all right all the time, but we seem to have a lot of great projects with lousy, lazy, architecture. If we don't good architecture, we end up with eyesores like the Gnews building, Towers East, Landmark building, McBee Station, etc. And yes, I think today's Aloft is tomorrow's eyesore; not because of the project obviously, but because of the architecture (or lack thereof).  

Not that my opinion really matters or changes anything, but there's no point in having an online forum to discuss things if people can't point out different opinions without people getting their feathers ruffled. ;)

• 2 months later...

Even more office space at ONE leased. The former Certus space sure didn't stay empty long. Great to see: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/money/business/2016/03/02/joe-erwin-announces-new-venture-co-working-space-creatives/81202678/ 

Oh and WYNIT officially moved into their new digs February 1st.

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MAJIKMAN said:

Your joking. Right? Sure you are. 

LOL...was joking 'tho everything seems to be located on this perilous thoroughfare that I travel most everyday...at the risk of either losing my sanity or having my body torn to shreds.

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

UCB moving into Certus space

United Carolina Bank takes one floor in the ONE building that was previously Certus space.  

Edit: If memory serves this means all the CERTUS space has been back-filled except the ground floor bank branch.  There is still one full floor that has never been occupied I think.  

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...