CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

I believe the tower proposed for downtown Columbia is 400,000 square feet and 17 stories.

Taking that information and the general idea of the footprint of that tower in Cola, I'd say that minus the hotel, this structure (if taking up the entire site) would be 5-7 stories or so... A hotel would obviously make that higher. Just a guess though. :)

I believe the tower proposed for downtown Columbia is 400,000 square feet and 17 stories.

Taking that information and the general idea of the footprint of that tower in Cola, I'd say that minus the hotel, this structure (if taking up the entire site) would be 5-7 stories or so... A hotel would obviously make that higher. Just a guess though. :)

Isn't the Holder tower in Columbia supposed to have 5-7 floors of parking? If so, their 200,000 square feet are only coming from 10-12 stories of office space. That footprint is obviously a lot smaller than the one for Main at Washington, though. :)

Isn't the Holder tower in Columbia supposed to have 5-7 floors of parking? If so, their 200,000 square feet are only coming from 10-12 stories of office space. That footprint is obviously a lot smaller than the one for Main at Washington, though. :)

You're right. So, maybe 4-5 stories would be more accurate without the 'hospitality pad'.

This brings up the whole skyline vs quality pedestrian activity scenario again in my mind. I wish the demand would exist for both to be mixed together. I would be SORELY disappointed if this development didn't take up the entire site and was just a highrise. I'd rather acheive the density and expanded activity that a larger footprint would provide.

At the same time, I was hoping to see a large residential presence in the heart of downtown, which can still happen, but is less likely at the scale I was thinking. But, the Gateway Site is including lots of residential units, so I guess we couldn't really handle both too soon.

Hopefully the rumored Nuvox expansion will include ground level retail on Washington AND Main, if any at all. I think if we saw Nuvox's ground level function change AND Main @ Washington developed correctly, we may need to remove parking on Main Street to accommodate wider sidewalks to handle the pedestrian traffic. :silly:

There will be 6.5 floors of parking and 9 floors of office space to be exact. That might give you a better idea of the height for this proposed development.

• 2 months later...

This development project is moving forward. TIC is still waiting on a few more tenants to sign on before starting construction. Colliers is the marketing agent for the retail space. Presentation of project is scheduled in two weeks.

Hopefully the two week schedule will hold true! I'm really excited to see some information on this one! :shades:

This development project is moving forward. TIC is still waiting on a few more tenants to sign on before starting construction. Colliers is the marketing agent for the retail space. Presentation of project is scheduled in two weeks.

Hopefully "waiting to sign on" means "they have agreed to terms and we are just waiting on the formal signature on official documents" rather than "we have no idea who is going to lease the remaining space but we hope to find them in two weeks." :lol:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a bookstore and a pharmacy. Ideally the tenants would be Borders and Walgreens. I would definitely settle for Joseph-Beth and CVS though. :)

I also heard recently that this development could include a hotel. I wonder who it could be? :dontknow:

Do you guys think this will be a series of 4-6 story buildings, or should we expect some larger buildings thrown in? I am not good at estimating building height based on square footage and the size of the land.

Edited by Greenville

So, when you say "presentation", you don't mean press conference, but something internal for the company? :dontknow:

It's not really internal with the company as people not involved with TIC Properties will be there. However, the general public is not invited. It will be a meeting involving several different developers and leasing/real estate agents. It's basic purpose will be to give an update on the project and what it will consist of. I'm not sure if the media will be invited or not.

Hopefully "waiting to sign on" means "they have agreed to terms and we are just waiting on the formal signature on official documents" rather than "we have no idea who is going to lease the remaining space but we hope to find them in two weeks." :lol:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a bookstore and a pharmacy. Ideally the tenants would be Borders and Walgreens. I would definitely settle for Joseph-Beth and CVS though. :)

I also heard recently that this development could include a hotel. I wonder who it could be? :dontknow:

Do you guys think this will be a series of 4-6 story buildings, or should we expect some larger buildings thrown in? I am not good at estimating building height based on square footage and the size of the land.

They're looking to sign on Walgreen's and Joseph-Beth. The developers tried really hard to get Border's to anchor this development, but they didn't want to come downtown. They didn't think the population demographics in the CBD were strong enough to support a national bookstore chain. I'm not sure if tax incentives were offered to Border's or not. A hotel will be included. I don't know what brand though. I imagine it will be mostly a low-mid rise development with one or two highrises thrown in. This is only a guess though.

Hopefully the two week schedule will hold true! I'm really excited to see some information on this one! :shades:

It will be sooner than that. The announcement of project will be in tomorrow's newspaper. You won't be disappointed. :) Cousins Properties has teamed up with John Boyd to build it. And yes there will be highrises.

Edited by citylife

Two buildings. One at eleven stories and the other one at thirteen stories. Eleven story one looks to be office while the thirteen story one looks to be condos. Both similar in design with retail/restaurant corridor between them. They will be kind of boxy but will have a design element that helps them look a lot better than the other boxy highrises downtown. They'll be built just to the left of Piazza Bergamo.

Edited by citylife

So are these going to be like the Pinnacle, Peacock, Gateway, Towers at Falls and Broad, and just about every other Greenville development...or are they actually going to be built?

Cousins Properties is a huge national developer: http://www.cousinsproperties.com/ They build what they promise. They're the developers of Frost Bank Tower in Austin, TX. Here are some other projects they have built: http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/cm/?id=cousin...-atlanta-ga-usa Bank financing is already in place also. Architect is HKS Inc: http://www.hksinc.com/

Edited by citylife

Two buildings. One at eleven stories and the other one at thirteen stories. Eleven story one looks to be office while the thirteen story one looks to be condos. Both similar in design with retail/restaurant corridor between them. They will be kind of boxy but will have a design element that helps them look a lot better than the other boxy highrises downtown. They'll be built just to the left of Piazza Bergamo.

I LOVE what I'm hearing so far! Thanks, Citylife!

I like the heights you're mentioning. They won't be overly large, but they should fill in nicely at that part of the skyline.

Also, considering the amount of work that has gone into the project right now, and hearing of the people teamed up on this project, I dare say that it might be built..

Some clarification. The thirteen story building will be a hotel not condos. 125-165 rooms. The eleven story building is office and will be located along Main Street between Piazza Bergamo and West Washington Street. Behind that will be a retail/restaurant corridor that will lead to the hotel which will be built between the corridor and the BofA building.

Edited by citylife

It will be sooner than that. The announcement of project will be in tomorrow's newspaper. You won't be disappointed. :) Cousins Properties has teamed up with John Boyd to build it. And yes there will be highrises.

Wow. Thanks for the excellent info! With Cousins behind this, there is no reason to doubt the outcome. :yahoo:

Isn't the current BofA tower 12 or 13? I would think the 13 story building in this development, with any architectural detail, would slightly beat BofA in height (BofA seems to have lower height ceilings).

Wow. Thanks for the excellent info! With Cousins behind this, there is no reason to doubt the outcome. :yahoo:

Isn't the current BofA tower 12 or 13? I would think the 13 story building in this development, with any architectural detail, would slightly beat BofA in height (BofA seems to have lower height ceilings).

The BofA building is 14 stories tall. I just received a new rendering that shows the office building a lot better. It looks to be 12 stories instead of 11. :) Hotel is still 13.

Edited by citylife

Will this be Greenville's tallest hotel? Of course, the number of floors mean little when talking about height, but I'm thinking that the Westin is about 12, the Hilton and Embassy Suites are maybe 8 or 9 (?).

Also, do you have any indication of what hotel brand this will be?

I'm not sure what hotel brand it will be. It might be the tallest. Hard to tell from the renderings seeing how they're from ground level. I'm hearing the parking lot and garage at the intersection of River and West Washington Streets will not get built on currently. Only the area between Piazza Bergamo, North Laurens Street, West Washington Street, and Main Street will get built on. That parking lot/garage might get built on in a later phase. The office building shoots straight up at the intersection of Main and West Washington Street. There is no building setback. It's the sidewalk then up 12 stories. Similar to how city hall is. Not sure how that's going to work with city setback standards.

Edited by citylife