ST, WF, DB

UrbanCharlotte

After so many rumors going around about Deutsche Bank building a tower here, still nothing planned. SunTrust doesn't look to be doing anything anytime soon either. I'm surprised that outside of BofA and WB there arn't any great bank towers, esp since we have one of the best vacancy rates in the US. :unsure:

Anyway this leads to me to belive one of the out of town banks will be looking in putting up a tower in the next 8-16 months. Im still hoping we get something like Minnys Wells Fargo tower.

842.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already have one, Urban. BofA Corporate. Pelli designed the Wells Fargo Tower (formerly Norwest Financial) in Mpls, Key Tower (formerly Society Bank) in Cleveland, and 777 S. Figeroa in Los Angeles all at the same time. They all use the same lines and window mullions. BofA and Wells Fargo are the best of the four, IMO. Here are pics of the other two. You can easily see how the designs "borrow" from each other

Key Tower, Cleveland

keytower.jpg

777 S. Figeroa, Los Angeles

1990_figueroa.jpg

I do love Wells Fargo in Mpls, though. A great building.

I didn't think there were ever any rumors of Deutsche Bank building a tower in Charlotte. There were some rumors about them moving some offices here and building a larger presence in Charlotte but I think they likely would have just gotten some space in an existing building. I think people on this message board would have liked for them to build a tower and probably fantasized about it. They probably tried to figure out how it would be possible or where it would go but I don't think anyone here has actually heard a rumor that they would build one. If I am wrong then someone can let me know, I think it is important however that certain forumers understand that just because something is mentioned here it is not the gospel. I feel like I could post a thread saying, I hope Wachovia's new tower is 100 floors, then someone else will say "me too" and post a picture of a 100 floor tower in Dubai and say "like this one!" Then before you know it someone will be on SSC or SSP saying they have "inside knowledge" that Wach is building a 100 floor tower based on a tower in Dubai. Always make sure you know what your reading and learn to distinguish true rumors from the fantasy of people who simply like to dream. Dreaming is part of why people come here so understand that not everything posted is a rumor. Sorry for the rant.

If there were any rumors out there about a Bank Tower from someone other than the usual suspects then I stand corrected. The only one I can think of is the Barclay's tower, which although named for the English bank actually had no connection to it. I believe they named that building after the building that they were going to destroy to build it and that Barclay's had already closed those offices before the tower was proposed.

I agree with you rant, because it does seem like people sometimes see a post and assume that it's inside info....for me i try to always qualify what is speculation.

as for as Deutsche Bank, the rumor was started by the Charlotte Busines Journal almost 2 years ago that they might consider the office portion of the Westin complex, though I believe the writer was purely speculating based on time frame and approximate square footage needs to accomodate the rumored number of new jobs.

I'm pretty sure that they did expand here at that time. They opened a regional Corporate Trust office here and apparently Charlotte is the city that is heading up the Corporate Trust expansion nation wide... or something to that effect. I don't know a lot about it. It looks like DB has a major presence in NY and CA. Any Southern region expansion I would assume would make most sense in Charlotte but I don't think anything is on the horizon (at least not publically but who knows what happens behind doors).

The business journal did report that DB was looking at Charlotte for something called dubbed "Project Eden" in 2003. That, they said, could have been up to 800,000 sq. ft. Who knows what happened to that project. DB does have 2 uptown addresses though, The Interstate Tower and 200 S. Tryon. I don't know what vacancy looks like in those buildings but it seems DB would probably just expand in thier current buildings in the city first.

What exactly are those operations? Does anyone know? I would find it amazing if they were considering a plan to put a retail banking business into the SouthEast considering the competition that is here now. Now maybe they are considering a takeover of another bank, but I'm not sure if that would warrant a new tower either. At least not in the beginning.

Archived