411 on Oakes & Commerce ?

Kib

Greetings Urbanites...

I looked around the website and didn't find any info. RE: a building on Oakes & Commerce being developed for lofts. I saw a sign that mentioned one Tom Harington being involved.

By way of background, it appears I'll be moving to your fine city sometime in the next 24 months. I'm originally from Portland, OR and see an amazing reselmbalance to some of the development from back home.

I can feel the excitiment by reading your posts, and you have every reason to be jacked up. Portland's Pearl District looked very similar to what you have going on between Fulton & Wealthy. Similar aged buildings, some open lots, close proximity to downdown, etc. Portland invested many of the things you are doing as far as infrastructure, I understand one of the money equations was a $50M investment in PDX's streetcar system yielded something like $150M in new development. Again, you guys should be out-of-your-skull excited, because from what I've seen, there's little reason the same kind of thing couldn't happen in GR.

(Also, you guys don't have all the heavy-duty seismic retrofit stuff to do....earthquake in a 100 yr. old sturcture=no fun.... been through one trust me!)

BTW - I still have a little place in the Pearl, and it's always a treat to see what's new each time I get back there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about GR from this website and you urban pioneers.

Thanks in advance for any info on the Oakes & Commerce thing, or any other projects I should be aware of.

Good day !!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe one of our resident developers has said that Tom Harington is on the same level as Azzar and Moch. Hopefully this is wrong, because this building is prime for development.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks... that's too bad. I see what Moch has done/doing with the Icon. He never would have gotten a building permit in Portland with that zero retail or anything at street level.

'preciate the welcome !!!

Greetings Urbanites...

I looked around the website and didn't find any info. RE: a building on Oakes & Commerce being developed for lofts. I saw a sign that mentioned one Tom Harington being involved.

By way of background, it appears I'll be moving to your fine city sometime in the next 24 months. I'm originally from Portland, OR and see an amazing reselmbalance to some of the development from back home.

I can feel the excitiment by reading your posts, and you have every reason to be jacked up. Portland's Pearl District looked very similar to what you have going on between Fulton & Wealthy. Similar aged buildings, some open lots, close proximity to downdown, etc. Portland invested many of the things you are doing as far as infrastructure, I understand one of the money equations was a $50M investment in PDX's streetcar system yielded something like $150M in new development. Again, you guys should be out-of-your-skull excited, because from what I've seen, there's little reason the same kind of thing couldn't happen in GR.

(Also, you guys don't have all the heavy-duty seismic retrofit stuff to do....earthquake in a 100 yr. old sturcture=no fun.... been through one trust me!)

BTW - I still have a little place in the Pearl, and it's always a treat to see what's new each time I get back there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about GR from this website and you urban pioneers.

Thanks in advance for any info on the Oakes & Commerce thing, or any other projects I should be aware of.

Good day !!!!!

Yes, welcome Kib! I too have not seen anything happening at that building with the Herington (sp?) Lofts sign. But keep your eye on the other corner at Commerce & Oakes. I hear a Chicago developer has its eyes on putting up a mid-rise residential project there. I hope we hear more on that soon, I'm dying over here!

Keep the faith.... I know for a fact it can be done, and done right !!!

You just have to keep your city council and planning folks feet to the fire and don't accept less. At the end of the day, there's LOTS of money to be made and good to be done if you stick to your guns and not let 'em throw up some some crapola project....

The process can get pretty ugly at times, there will be developers that will act like 5 year olds, throw fits, pull out and cry (or sue). But the one's that you want doing the work, the one's that will prosper, and the one's that will make your town a better place are out there. 'Ya just have to make sure you have the brass to tell the others to ______ off.... not in our town baby !!

Again, thanks for the welcome everyone !

Nope, different spot. I think the Ionia/Goodrich is the one from Lott3, and I haven't heard jack on that.
How about the vacant lot just north of Bank of Holland could that be the spot? I know that sold recently to a residential developer.

That's funny, the Herington Loft bldg that we are talking about says "totally renovated" on the listing card:

You couldnt tell driving past it.

ATTN: Gary P

I was surfing around the site here and found some really nice images of Portland, not much from the Pearl District but a nice representation of the city. Here's the link:

PDX Images

Pretty gifted photographer as well...

Yah, I would nominate Garris as the best photographer on UP, if not on any forum I have seen! Here is Garris's website:

http://members.cox.net/garrisphotography/garrisphoto.html

And his photo of the day thread at Providence, RI:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8581

Enjoy! Good show Garris (if you read this)!

I've been watching as Garris has been updating. The city looks great. Everything I've ever read about or seen of Portland just looks incredible. I've got to visit.

I was surfing around the site here and found some really nice images of Portland, not much from the Pearl District but a nice representation of the city. Here's the link:

I believe one of our resident developers has said that Tom Harington is on the same level as Azzar and Moch. Hopefully this is wrong, because this building is prime for development.

I don't think it was me who said it but I'm not his biggest fan either.

Those 3 dudes are equally bad in completely different ways. The most likely scenario is for him to flip this one, I just don't see him doing the rehab.

Things are changing quickly in that neighborhood, he'll probably do well on it.

It's a cool building with some neat craftsmen details. I hope he flips it soon. Did I mention I hate real estate speculators that don't develop? Oh yeah, I think I did...

Joe

I don't think it was me who said it but I'm not his biggest fan either.

Those 3 dudes are equally bad in completely different ways. The most likely scenario is for him to flip this one, I just don't see him doing the rehab.

Things are changing quickly in that neighborhood, he'll probably do well on it.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd dig this one WAY up...

I was walking from the lot next to Maxi's the other night. What's going on with the building on the North West corner of Oakes and Comerece. The brick one with all the windows boarded up? Anyone?

Thought I'd dig this one WAY up...

I was walking from the lot next to Maxi's the other night. What's going on with the building on the North West corner of Oakes and Comerece. The brick one with all the windows boarded up? Anyone?

You talking about the 7 or 8 story bldg., right ?

Owned by the Cherry St. Landing partnership. Rick DeVos (20-something) made some announcements a year or two ago but I've seen nothing since. That thing is pretty ripe for apartments or budget condo's based onlocation...

Archived