Crime in Charlotte

charlotte_bon_vivant

Yes, they should start using advanced methods like profiling.

Seriously, when I was living on campus there were these packs of like 8 black youth with gang apparel roaming about, using the school's outdoor basketball courts and yelling at people.

I don't know how they get away with it.

One of the best things to do would be to shut down those low rent housing projects scattered around the edges.

Profiling! :rofl: What country do you live in? When do they not profile is the question?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo there's no reason why you can't drive through, get out the car and walk around a bit and visit your old neighborhood, imo. You should be fine. its not like walking into Cabrini Green or the Pink houses, ya dig...no need for paranoia. From what I understand (as I am not a native of Charlotte) the area has changed a lot but in terms of your relative safety while exploring the area where "daddy used to live", there isn't any reason why you can't do that imo.

Hmmm... by 'not a Charlotte native' do you mean you aren't qualified to answer my specific question at all, or that you just didn't grow up there? At any rate, I've been shot at both outdoors and indoors, and while I don't generally think of myself as paranoid, I think I'll just go ahead and be exactly that when the kids are with "daddy". That said, I'll still visit Elwood (haven't been able to go yet) as metro's answer seemed to indicate it is still OK. ish. Miesian, and everyone else, sorry to hijack this topic, you have my sympathies.

The other night I was awaken to the sounds of police sirens right next door. Apparently my neighbor's house was broken into. This was however quite sofisticated in nature. They apparently used wire clippers to cut the phone line into his house, then kicked the front door open and used a sledge hammer to smash the siren/bell for the alarm system. At this point his VERY expensive alarm system had been rendered useless. The culprits then backed a vehicle into his driveway and pretty much unloaded the contents of his house.

I live near Northlake Mall in (what I thought when I moved down here last year) a quiet, safe neighborhood. The police speculate this was a targetted crime as the person robbed is a big wig for one of the local banks.

Since when was profiling an advanced method? I think all it is is automatically landing the blame on someone who looks like they would've done something. What I'm saying is that I think is best for investigation... anyone could be out of the norm.

Hmmm... by 'not a Charlotte native' do you mean you aren't qualified to answer my specific question at all, or that you just didn't grow up there?
I meant that I didn't grow up here. If that disqualifies my opinion in your mind, its cool - to each his own.

Being relatively new to Charlotte, I've found myself in many a neighborhood often times lost, sometimes exploring. From my personal experience, I think you and yours should be fine and in far less risk for personal harm than the simple use of a vehicle (period) in any kind of neighborhood puts you in.

Well, Dilworth's current crime spree continues: A woman unloading her SUV behind her building off Euclid this week had someone crawl in the back while she was not looking, hide and then wave a gun in her face. She took off running. Also this week several more cars were broken into in the lot for the condos along East Park Ave. This happened in the same area a week or so earlier that also involved an armed robbery along Kingston, breaking and entering along DRW, and continual car break ins along Tremont near me. Greekfest starts today which brings a deluge of parking in historic Dilworth. I would advise everyone attending to make sure nothing is left visible in your car and don't park in unlit areas of the neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest UNC Charlotte crimes...

Thur., 9/20/06, approx. 9:20 pm, Diploma Drive (UT Apts parking lot) -- After a student exited his car, a man asked to borrow his cell phone, robbed him of wallet and car keys at gunpoint, then hit him once on the head, and stole his car. No medical treatment was needed. Suspect was described as: male; black; 6 ft & 150 lbs; short hair; black hat; T-shirt (unknown color); denim jeans; silver handgun. Vehicle description: 2004 Toyota Corolla; blue 4D; NC tag SNB8317

Fri.night/Sat. morning, approx. 1:30 am, Lex Drive (Alexander Towne Apts parking lot) --

Three men robbed a pizza delivery person at gunpoint and fled on foot. Three men also tried to break into an apartment. Police and K-9 unsuccessfully searched the area. Suspects described as: all male; black; two in white T-shirt and one in black T-shirt; one wore cap; black 9mm handgun.

The latest UNC Charlotte crimes...

Thur., 9/20/06, approx. 9:20 pm, Diploma Drive (UT Apts parking lot) -- After a student exited his car, a man asked to borrow his cell phone, robbed him of wallet and car keys at gunpoint, then hit him once on the head, and stole his car. No medical treatment was needed. Suspect was described as: male; black; 6 ft & 150 lbs; short hair; black hat; T-shirt (unknown color); denim jeans; silver handgun. Vehicle description: 2004 Toyota Corolla; blue 4D; NC tag SNB8317

Fri.night/Sat. morning, approx. 1:30 am, Lex Drive (Alexander Towne Apts parking lot) --

Three men robbed a pizza delivery person at gunpoint and fled on foot. Three men also tried to break into an apartment. Police and K-9 unsuccessfully searched the area. Suspects described as: all male; black; two in white T-shirt and one in black T-shirt; one wore cap; black 9mm handgun.

I got that e-mail as well. I am starting to be a little more cautious while walking backing to my apartment at night i.e. making sure I have somebody to walk with.

• 3 months later...

I received a rather depressing and surprising crime update from DCDA today. Robberies ocurring with occupants inside have increased recently and Dilworth has also apparently become a convenient drop zone for drug transactions : In the Templeton/ Myrtle area a home was invaded while the occupants were asleep in the home!

In the last week robbers unlocked a front window (facing the street) with a screwdriver and came in, took a laptop and tried to remove a flat screen TV, sometime between midnight and 7am.

In the Belgrave/ Linganore area several weeks ago a similar crime took place, using a slightly open window as the means of entry, stealing electronic equipment and other valuables.

Drug activity, has significantly increased with Dilworth streets reportedly being used as transaction spots-day and night! Reports include Carlton, Euclid Ave, Templeton Ave, Romany Rd, Cleveland Ave. and Dilworth Rd. East!!!!

One car stops, a second pulls up and someone gets into the first car, makes the transaction, returns to the second car and both cars drive off. It can happen before one has any idea, but a good car description or license plate is essential to help the CMPD. Discrete use of that gift camera might prove beneficial!

• 4 weeks later...

Mayor Pat McCroy is going to the NC General Assembly to plead for more money to fight the terrible crime problem in Charlotte. He is going to load up some buses with people to take with him to help plead his case. This bus will leave from Cricket Arena on Feb 13th. He says crime in Charlotte has become a "Life and Death" issue and "to Hell with partisan politics" in a speech he gave on the matter today. Anybody that wants to go with the Mayor can go get on the bus and rid there with him on that date.

In a related announcement the CPD said that home break ins were on the rise in Charlotte but murders were down some. Although last night this guy tried to rob the McDonalds on Freedom Drive at gunpoint and an employee that was also carrying a gun pulled it out and shot the robber dead in his tracks. Kinda adds new meaning to the term "Happy Meal".

In the long run, I think "home invasion" and burglary are going to be major, major problems in the Charlotte area. The biggest deterrents to those crimes are watchful neighbors, of which there are many in "traditional" neighborhoods. However, those conditions require two things Charlotte 'hoods tend not to have: stability and density (at least a moderate density, anyway). That's the main reason why larger, older cities tend to be a lot safer... you can't do anything without the old lady on the corner noticing and calling the cops.

The typical Charlotte neighborhood has a relatively rootless population living in widely-spaced homes; that's ideal for would-be thugs. When I lived briefly in east Charlotte I felt totally unsafe at all hours of the night, because I knew someone could literally kick my door down without anyone noticing (one night a crazy lady actually did knock on the door and all but force her way inside). I moved directly to Fourth Ward, where I haven't felt the least bit unsafe since.

You people are seriously overacting. As far as home invasions, get yourself a dog that barks and a gun. Someone comes in during the night, you kill 'em. A few dead burglars in the news and people will start to think twice. The would-be McDonald's robbery the other night is a good example.

Problem is, the average person is going to be scared sh!tless when it comes time to actually do the shooting, and if they can't the robbery or invasion may then have worse consequences. Sounds like what we need is a compulsory civic firearms training program as the Swiss do that must be completed once a year.

Anyway, knowing that you may get shot if you decide to rob someone is definitely a good deterrent, but as long as we still have our culture of frivolous/ridiculous lawsuits then criminals or their families will still be able to sue for just about anything that happened during the robbery.

I don't mind people having hand guns in their homes for their personal safety. I just wish that everyone was required to take a gun safety class before the purchase. You hear more about the kid that took their parent's gun and end up accidently shooting themselves or someone else then you do about robbers being shot or killed. Incidents like that could easily be prevented with a mandatory gun safety class.

Home-invaders also tend to be strung-out drug addicts, so I doubt they're going to seriously consider all possible consequences of their actions. Rational people don't bust into a stranger's house and try to rob them, so I doubt they'd bother to notice an upward trend in legal firearm ownership.

In any case, it seems senseless to adopt any policy that encourages more bullets to start flying around our neighborhoods. It seems to me that the creation of healthy neighborhoods, with an abundance of natural deterrents, is more likely to reduce the number of violent incidents in the long run. That would mean encouraging residents to take ownership of their communities, increasing the number of "watchful eyes" available at all hours (this means building real sidewalks in second-ring neighborhoods), improving street lighting, increasing police patrols in distressed areas, and combatting gang problems in every way possible. Criminals seek isolated targets, so connectivity should be Step 1 in solving our crime problems.

Archived