Crime in Charlotte

charlotte_bon_vivant

Girly, have the police found your car yet? If the car remains in Charlotte then it is usually found a couple days after it is stolen. There are 2 particular neighborhoods that the police look in for stolen cars.

I was also curious, was it a Honda that was stolen. 9 times out of 10 it is a Honda that is stolen here in Charlotte.

Did anyone catch the piece on WBTV the other day about how the FBI is sending their top MS-13 guy to the Charlotte Division? Ends up NC is in the Top 3 States for MS-13 gang activity behind Florida and Mexico.

A personal friend of mine was carjacked by a MS-13 member earlier this year in Concord. The FBI is now flying him to California to testify against the guy in a Federal trail against MS-13 gang members.

Yeah, I saw that... It said North Carolina had the same number of MS-13 members as Los Angeles and NYC!!!! There were found in 3 areas, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, and Charlotte. It also had stuff about taser guns having to be used in high schools (garringer, east meck). That's sad......

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police department does everything it can with the resources it has. They have too few officers, their crime lab is understaffed, they are underfunded to the point of having to rely on volunteers for clerical and support work, there aren't enough city attornies to prosecute everyone who should be prosecuted, and to add insult to injury, they're being forced to waste time directing traffic for a basketball team nobody gives two sh**s about.

But hey, nobody cares as long as they have big wide highways to take them out of town to their cookie-cutter suburbs where they can live side-by-side with the rest of their tax-hating neighbors. Because they'll be derned if some city's going to give their money to those ... people.

Seriously, though, fighting crime is neither free nor cheap.

MOD EDIT: changed the sentence above to avoid conflicts, even though i 'got' your tone. d

Minor correction. The city attorneys office doesn't prosecute cases it's the District Attorney's Office.

Apparently a gun battle was fought at a shopping center on N. Tryon in broad daylight on Saturday afternoon. The guns sent shoppers diving for the ground. It is scary to think how dangerous it is getting in the city. I remember when this area was safe and you would never have to worry about people shooting at each other.

Apparently a gun battle was fought at a shopping center on N. Tryon in broad daylight on Saturday afternoon. The guns sent shoppers diving for the ground. It is scary to think how dangerous it is getting in the city. I remember when this area was safe and you would never have to worry about people shooting at each other.

Yeah i saw this in the news. The whole North Tryon area, in my opinion is unfortunately in fast decline and I think i see this trend happening along the whole North Tryon corridor all the way into the UNCC area

**Charlotte is 18th out of the 75 largest cities in America .... and like someone said, the largest cities have the worst crime**

**Wow.... it shows that the Southeast has the worst crime..... (way to represent) haha**

It's the heat.

Oh, and don't forget that there are more guns per capita than any other region in the USA. Of course we all know that guns don't kill people...say it with me now...people kill people.

you know, it is entirely conceivable that this will happen. That is problem with places that are built without an interesting identity... people don't form an emotional allegiance to their neighborhoods, and abandon it when the social structures start changing.

People fight hard if crime jumps up in Dilworth or Fourth Ward or South Park... the police show up and the situation usually calms down. In faceless suburbs, though, people end up abandoning the neighborhood for newer suburbs.

People fight hard if crime jumps up in Dilworth or Fourth Ward or South Park... the police show up and the situation usually calms down. In faceless suburbs, though, people end up abandoning the neighborhood for newer suburbs.

I don't think you can pin this on faceless suburbs. (what is that anyway) There is an article in the paper this weekend about the president of the Wilmore Homeowners association getting robbed for the 4th time and I would hardly call that a subburb over a place like Dillworth. (though a girl got brutally raped in Dilworth last week also). I know people in Plaza/Midwood that have been robbed constantly and others in sedgefield that have to keep their outdoor furniture chained to the posts so it won't get stolen. The police don't do anything about it because it happens so often. A friend of mine who also lives in wilmore says there are guns popping all night long on weekend nights. And this is within walking distance of Gateway. :blink:

Yet here in Huntersville I leave the doors unlocked on my house when I go for a bike ride because there is no crime and it is not something I have to worry about. I don't even have a lock to the storage room under my house. All of the neighbors on my street know each other, have lived here for years and watch out for each other. I am on the 12th year on this street and there has never been any crime here or anywhere that I know of in my entire neighborhood. We certainly don't worry about gunshots, thefts, burglers, rape murder, etc etc. The only time the police get called is when the goat shows back up.

We certainly don't worry about gunshots, thefts, burglers, rape murder, etc etc. The only time the police get called is when the goat shows back up.

Well, I live in East Charlotte (near Eastland Mall... :sick: )(yeah, I know!). And we do have to worry about all of these problems and more. I think something has to be done about it. Starting with the East and West. All of my neighbors have left and low-income families move in. When I go to the store, there is a security guard in every store. So it's not getting better, it's getting worse.... fast! I'm sure it's the same on the West Side. Charlotte in general is going through a change, (you can decide for good or bad). Demographically it is going through a change.... When I drive down the street I can't even read the store signs because they are in Spanish. I really think that eventually (soon) white will be a minority and maybe even the same as hispanics (or black if hispanics pass everyone). Economically it is going through a change too. It's getting poorer and becoming more violent. Charlotte's crime rate (especially violent) is getting higher, but not much is being done about it... well I know it isn't here.... maybe in South Charlotte (upper-class)... I'm sure Charlotte's coucil people (or whatever they're called) care about the low-income families, but they sure don't act like it.....

Also...... Charlotte is average when it comes to wealth.... But according to the census in 2000 individuals below the poverty level was 10.1% in just 4 years (2004) it rose to 13.1%. Families below the poverty level rose from 7.8% to 9.4%. Hispanic rose 7.1% to 10.1% in just 4 years! So 3% every year.... in 2020 Charlotte will be 22.1% hispanic..... It will also be 35.7% black in 2020 (which is at it's rate now, which will probably rise)....

Also...... Charlotte is average when it comes to wealth.... But according to the census in 2000 individuals below the poverty level was 10.1% in just 4 years (2004) it rose to 13.1%. Families below the poverty level rose from 7.8% to 9.4%. Hispanic rose 7.1% to 10.1% in just 4 years! So 3% every year.... in 2020 Charlotte will be 22.1% hispanic..... It will also be 35.7% black in 2020 (which is at it's rate now, which will probably rise)....

Black & Hispanic don't automatically mean crime. However poverty ususally does mean crime and since these communities disproportionally share in the poverty #, then I can see where this can be a problem.

Welcome to GW Bush's conservative compassionism or Reaganonimics revised, as this is unfortunately a fact of today's society. It should be noted that most of these numbers, including crime, were on the way down, way down before 2001. The policy of enriching a few at the expense of spending on the public sector, is proven again not to work. (Reagan's trickle down economics as it was called) I didn't want to take this in a political direction, but many of the places that we are talking about here, were fairly safe places 10 years ago and I blame this on an economic policy that is throwing a lot more people back into poverty living.

In the long term this will have a negative effect on all of the city. People don't like crime and will move away from it if it becomes a continuing issue.

Thank you for your support and comments. I really appreciate it. To update: My car was found on the southside of town. Westinghouse, I think it is? Apparently, my car was stolen by a couple of kids who went joyriding. Aside from a broken window, ignition and several beer cans (my car smelled like a brewery) there wasn't much damage. I drive an older model BMW. I wasn't very attatched to my car. I was just hurt that someone took it. Sadly, I was more worried about a pair of Jimmy Choos I left in the back seat. Thankfully they didn't take my shoes... I live in Dilworth. When we moved here, everyone I spoke to assured me that Dilworth was virtually crime-free. It's not that I couldn't handle living here if there was crime. I let my guard down because of the comments. So I was pretty shocked that my car was stolen. The fact that a woman was raped here makes me feel even less safe. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll be the last woman raped before something is done about the increasing crime.

Again, thanks to everyone for the support.

P.S. Metro, your neighborhood sounds nice. I think I'll move next door to you. Won't you be thrilled? We can go shoe shopping and stuff. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Apparently someone was shot dead right at Trade & Tryon as some place called the Liquid Lounge. (what kind of establishment is this?) The area is closed until at least 7am due to the ongoing homicide investigation. They have not caught the party who murdered the individual and he/she can assumed to be loose in the area.'

I can't say that I ever remember someone being murdered right at the square. (though that doesn't mean it hasn't happened) Is this a sign that violent crime is getting worse in the city?

Though I think this is scary, I'm not sure it's a sign that crime is getting worse. I think we will find out that there was a connection between these two guys and not some random drive-by.

The news is currently reporting there was an altercation between the victim and the shooter inside the Liquid Lounge Club earlier in the evening. 14News also repported there were no homicides in the CenterCity all of 2005.

As for the Liquid Lounge bieng shady, I don't consider it any more shady then Bar Charlotte.

In my opinion a random shooting,carjacking,etc.. can happen anywhere at anytime. I don't forsee this starting to become an escalating problem.

Archived