Crime in Charlotte

charlotte_bon_vivant

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is scary. I too dodged rifle bullets this weekend so I understand how you must feel. And I did not get a lot of satisfaction from 911 but at least none of us got hurt. I am glad you are ok cinco.

Dodged bullets too? Where do ya'll live in charlotte? How'd that happen metro? Crazyness :shok:

Luckily everyone is ok. I had read about 2-3 separate incidents of people getting shot at on I-77/277 the last couple of days-turns out it was most likely pellet/bb guns. Don't know if these were the same people that you encountered. Sounds like the wild west down in Charlotte.

Dodged bullets too? Where do ya'll live in charlotte? How'd that happen metro? Crazyness :shok:

I was boating on Mountain Island Lake this weekend with some friends. We were way up North on the Catawba River not far from the Cowan's Ford dam that creates Lake Norman. The Mecklenburg side of the river is supposed to be protected forest, i.e. Cowans Ford Wildlife Refuge and Latta Plantation Park. We were anchored and having dinner when we heard some shots being fired in the distance, but didn't pay any attention to it. All of a sudden something zinged by that sounded like a bottle rocket but with no explosion. Then there were several more of these. Finally one came through the trees (could hear the cracking) and it hit the water right near the boat. We were swimming there just a few minutes earlier. It was then we realized these were rifle bullets.

It was quite a scary realization that we were in the line of fire of some idiots that did not realize there were people on the river. (there were other boaters out there too) So we put the boat in gear and got the hell out of there on full power. I called 911, but by the time it they figured out who was supposed to get the call, an hour had passed. They said they would send someone out there in the next couple of days to patrol the area as this should not have happened. I guess we would have gotten more attention if someone had gotten shot.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay. Wow, I don't know how I would handle the thought of someone firing at me. I know Charlotte is a large growing city, but the crime problem is out of control. I use to live in fear when I lived at Campus Edge next to UNCC, when I worked late nights on campus, b/c you would always hear stories of other students getting robbed and having there stuff stolen. And it's not like it was a rare occurance, there were incidents happening throughtout the year. If you read the apartment reviews for the University area, there is always a mention of crime in the area.

I'm confused to why it's so high here. I mean, I know the city is growing and with growth comes crime, but there are similar sized metro areas that don't have as much crime or either the news outlets don't report on it, which could be the case. After moving back to the Raleigh area and watching WRAL news, I can honestly say that I don't here about the number of incidents that I heard on WSOC or other Charlotte news outlets, not to say that it doesn't happen as much in the Triangle as it does in Charlotte.

Even if they would hire more officers, would that really help if they just get a slap on the wrist? It's like covering a wound that needs stitches with a band-aid. I think a lot of the criminals around here just don't care about authority or going to jail. I hope the Charlotte leaders and community can figure out a way to help cut down on the crime, because it will hurt the cities image. :)

I think that is just it, they're trying to cover up a wound that needs stitches with a band-aid (if that). The problem isn't so much Charlotte specific but general problems with solving crime in America. You could go out and commit murder today, spend a few years in a jail where you get free food, entertainment, television, etc. and get out on the streets again while the victim never gets the chance.

Crime in America should be judged harshly. Agressive drivers should have their license suspended for three months, I guarantee that would cut back second offenses. If you shoot a weapon from your car at another car or individual I think you should have your license revoked for life and spend few decades in the slammer, but I bet with the laws today you would only spend a few years at max and likely get out much sooner with certain conditions.

There is always going to be crime. Crime is a problem in Charlotte, but I don't think its spiraling out of control. I do think that CMPD is overstretched. Many parts of this city seem neglected and written off by the police so crime festers there and turns large sections of this city into no go areas. This condition is similar to problems in old rustbelt cities like Detroit. A new city like Charlotte should do better.

According to Morgan Quintno Research, Charlotte is the 10th most dangerous city with a population over 500,000. The top nine in this category are:

1. Detroit

2. Baltimore

3. Washington

4. Memphis

5. Dallas

6. Philadelphia

7. Columbus

8. Nashville

9. Houston

Cities 100,000 to 499,000 fall in this way:

1. St Louis

2. Flint

3. Richmond

4. Atlanta

5. New Orleans

6. Gary

7. Birmingham

8. Richmond (CA)

9. Cleveland

10 Dayton

For metro areas, we are behind places like Florence, SC (#8), Myrtle Beach (#10), Little Rock (#14) and Albuquerque (#17). Charlotte comes in as the 19th most dangerous metro area, just ahead of Phoenix.

Methodology:

2004 city and metro area crime rates per 100,000 population (the most recent comparable final numbers available, released by the FBI in October 2005) for six basic crime categories

I apologize in advance for this post being somewhat off-topic, but could not really find a topic to match and this does not warrant being it's own topic. Anyway, I grew up on Elwood Dr. off of Albemarle, but have been away for 20 years. Finally arrived back in NC a year ago, and the wife, children and I are making a trip to Charlotte this weekend. I want to explore the area where "daddy" used to live, but get the feeling from this forum that is now a somewhat unsafe part of town. When I was there it was quiet suburbia (until a 3rd grader burned down part of Albemarle Elementary, anyway), is anyone familiar with this area now?

City/Crime Rate (per 100/000 people)

St. Louis 14,823.5 (Maybe SE)

Atlanta 13,135.8 (SE)

So-called "city" rankings, like the ones from Morgan Quitno Press, are badly flawed and a disgrace statistically. They compare apples and oranges. They "rank" old cities whose limits are around the old city core, (St. Louis, Atlanta, Baltimore...) against newer cities whose city limits include almost all their suburbs, (Houston, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City...). This tells you nothing about relative safety in either type of cities core or suburbs. St. Louis city population is only about 1/10th of the St. Louis metro area. The core of Houston is probably far more dangerous than the core of St. Louis, but MQ says they have no data to do a valid comparison of similar core areas. So the do an invalid one.

But....

When Morgan Quitno ranks "Metro Areas" against each other, this is more statistically meaningful. You are comparing apples and apples. Metro Areas include both core areas of cities and all their suburbs. In metro area rankings, Morgan Quitno ranks St. Louis 182 out of 330 metro areas. So when you compare apples and apples, St. Louis is far safer than most other big metro areas, which aligns with our common sense about stable Midwest lifestyles.

But for some reason, the press only publicizes the "city" rankings not "metro area" rankings -- probably due to laziness, or because it is counterintuitive and therefore "newsy", or to sell newspapers.

Anyway, I grew up on Elwood Dr. off of Albemarle, but have been away for 20 years. Finally arrived back in NC a year ago, and the wife, children and I are making a trip to Charlotte this weekend. I want to explore the area where "daddy" used to live, but get the feeling from this forum that is now a somewhat unsafe part of town.
Imo there's no reason why you can't drive through, get out the car and walk around a bit and visit your old neighborhood, imo. You should be fine. its not like walking into Cabrini Green or the Pink houses, ya dig...no need for paranoia. From what I understand (as I am not a native of Charlotte) the area has changed a lot but in terms of your relative safety while exploring the area where "daddy used to live", there isn't any reason why you can't do that imo.

I've been hesitant to post this, as I'm still a bit shaken, but I was mugged at UNCC last week. 9:30 in the garage behind the Cone Center. Five hoodlums came out from under the ramp and acted as if they were going to ask me a question, so (stupidly) I stopped. I was surrounded pushed to the ground where they tried to take my book bag (which, by the way, would have been poetic justice had they gotten it...nothing in there except two econ books and one on geographic research methods). I had the bag strapped on, so they were having difficulty getting it off my back. Then, thank God, two people came into the garage from the Belk gym. I yelled like a big woman and the asshol*s that were trying to rip me off ran into the woods.

I guess my point is that its just the luck of the draw. I lived for nearly 10 years uptown and never had a problem. Sure I got panhandled, but no one ever threatend me. Then I move to an inner suburb (Cotswold), have my bike stolen and get attacked at a large public university. Go figure.

that sucks, miesian. i'm glad they were disrupted, but wish they had been apprehended. one of the worst things IMO, is dealing with all the anger and negativity that comes along with being victimized. you find yourself wishing the perpetrators would fall on their faces and choke in their own blood. i have had a hard time dealing with that anger... but feel that as long as that anger is in me - these sub-animals have won.

that said, crime certainly seems to be on the rise and i don't feel that we are addressing the issue hard enough.

glad your OK.

Yes, they should start using advanced methods like profiling.

Seriously, when I was living on campus there were these packs of like 8 black youth with gang apparel roaming about, using the school's outdoor basketball courts and yelling at people.

I don't know how they get away with it.

One of the best things to do would be to shut down those low rent housing projects scattered around the edges.

Archived