A Greenville treasure...

gs3

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally back online! I had some major problems loading this web site over the weekend. :(

That is indeed a nice place. I know it is located along highway 14, next to a creek, but that is all. It must have been part of a mill there at one time. It is across the road from where the beautiful old Fatz cafe used to be, until it burned down several years ago.

Finally back online! I had some major problems loading this web site over the weekend. :(

That is indeed a nice place. I know it is located along highway 14, next to a creek, but that is all. It must have been part of a mill there at one time. It is across the road from where the beautiful old Fatz cafe used to be, until it burned down several years ago.

Was the Fatz in a neat older building? or one of their mass produced buildings? Never knew one had been there. Great location there, right on the creek.

The Fatz was in a old mill on the river that was a fish camp before Jimmy Rogers bought it and made it Fatz. BTW, Jimmy Rogers is working on a new concept called Copper Canyon Grill or something similar to that. There are rumors that one of them is coming to Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greer to a site that currently holds two houses an old Quincy's and a Hardees.

Also, funny that this thread would show up, I bought a bag of rolls from Earth Fare yesteray and they were made by Rocky Creek Bakery on HWY 14 and I had never before heard of the place. They were good rolls.

The Fatz was in a old mill on the river that was a fish camp before Jimmy Rogers bought it and made it Fatz. BTW, Jimmy Rogers is working on a new concept called Copper Canyon Grill or something similar to that. There are rumors that one of them is coming to Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greer to a site that currently holds two houses an old Quincy's and a Hardees.

Also, funny that this thread would show up, I bought a bag of rolls from Earth Fare yesteray and they were made by Rocky Creek Bakery on HWY 14 and I had never before heard of the place. They were good rolls.

I love EarthFare! The environment there makes for a very pleasurable shopping experience (and an excellent eating experience, too!). :thumbsup:

My wife & I went to Rocky Creek Bakery yesterday morning for some sticky buns and coffee :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder gsupstate.

I've been trying to find out the history of the building. I did some seaching and found that the Batesville Mill was located on Rocky Creek 1/2 mile from the Pelham Mill, which is on Hwy 14 north of Pelham. I found the Sanborn map of the Batesville Mill in 1902 showing a general store north of the mill.

2b6c2229.jpg

The 1920 map shows the mill with roads. My search was made more difficult due to the fact that they changed the name to Prospect mill. The map shows what looks like Hwy 14 and Ebenezer Rd. with the General store now ruins of a fire.

b84986a5.jpg

I checked back in the maps and the store burned between 1902 and 1908. I have no idea when it was rebuilt to its present condition.

When I was there I asked the woman if she had a written history of the building. She said no, but she knew it was the General store for the Batesville/Pelham area in 1841. So I'd say that confirms the theory.

It looks like the old Fatz Cafe was the main mill building. Too bad its gone now. I never did get to see it. It burned before I moved down here.

Archived