45 Ottawa - Old Custer Office Bldg

GRDadof3

I'm sure everyone has heard that Macatawa Bank bought the old Custer Office Furniture Bldg at Ottawa and Louis (two story building by the Art Museum) and planned to consolidate their downtown office people and add a bank branch:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...7-7A2235AAE3D9}

(this article was back in September 03)

They do now own the property now, but now I hear that this corner may see some genuine height. Has anyone else here heard that as well? I keep getting these pieces of info on projects from different sources, but nothing concrete. Is Macatawa joining forces with someone else? I can't see them being the only tenant in a building higher than 3 - 4 floors?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife works there and they plan on building a 10-story building with Mortgage, Trust, Corporate offices and a branch. It is yet to be determined who will fill the other 9 floors. :rofl:

:lol: Thanks fluffy. Any idea when this is supposed to happen? I can't remember seeing anything submitted to the Planning Department.

Is Macatawa seriously looking at building there, or is this just a rumor for us downtown development geeks? Although ten stories isn't that tall, it will add density to that area if built correctly - No setback, transparent windows at street level, not surrounded by a sea of parking.

MY GOD!! Can anyone that has an ear of those folks PLEASE drop on them all of the UNMET needs of downtown (i.e. - RETAIL FOR THE DEVOS PLACE USERS, TICKING OFF A NUMBER OF THE REMAINING 1,260 ROOMS LEFT NEEDED FOR DOWNTOWN AFTER THE MARRIOTT, DOWNTOWN HOUSING, A MOVIE THEATRE, DIVERSE BIG CITY ENTERTAINMENT, etc.)!! Good grief!!

The entire perifery of Rosa Parks Circle is fertile ground for HIGH-RISE mixed use developments with a ready stream of DOWNTOWN NEEDS to fill them and compliment the immediate office needs of entities such as Macatawa. D___, what better way to market Macatawa Bank than for them - A BANK WITH ACCESS TO WHAT THEY HOLD (MONEY) - to partner with a national mixed-use developer and build a 20+ story tower to house their own needs and then a great many of the other DOWNTOWN NEEDS aforementioned in a spectacular atrium at the building's lower 5-10 floors. Call the d___ place, "Macatawa Center" and, if you're a Macatawa bigwig, sit back and cross your arms in triumph. :blink: Is everything of world-class opportunity here in GR that difficult to see? SHEESH!!

-Metrogrkid

Mr. Fables has been out of business for about 5 years now. Too bad, they were a Grand Rapids institution that couldn't compete with the chain restaurants that have taken over the area. A few of their locations were taken over by New Beginnings, a breakfast/lunch local chain.

Yes - sorry about the typo, HAD 12 or so restaurants! :blush:

Metrogrkid you are ON FIRE!!!!

Ever think of running for the City Commission, MAYOR??? :thumbsup:

Archived