New businesses following boom in northern York County

krazeeboi

Here's an article in the Rock Hill Herald detailing the business growth in northern York County (Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie) and the growth to come. Fort Mill's Baxter Village development, home to about 650 families, is responsible in no small part for much of this growth.

The familiar development pattern is 1) the supermarket-anchored shopping center; 2) the small shops; and 3) national big-box and restauraunt chains. There are already two supermarket-anchored shopping centers (Stockbridge Commons shopping center, anchored by Lowes Foods and West Town Market, anchored by a Harris-Teeter, which opened last year across from Baxter Village).

Stonecrest, under construction now along S.C. 160 in Tega Cay, will be anchored by Wal-Mart. I believe this is the Wal-Mart that many Tega Cayans fought so hard against.

"County leaders have said repeatedly they want a more diverse tax base [in northern York County] and are working to lure more retail and industry. Growth along S.C. 160 and Gold Hill Road goes along with the county's proposed 2025 land-use plan, which says that future residential and commercial development should be funneled to the urban eastern half of the county."

It should be really interesting to see how the development in York County from Rock Hill northwards plays out within the next 10-20 years (by which time, I should be long gone out of this area ;)).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knew it had to happen, but still a little unbelievable to read it. And we used to make fun of people in Fort Mill when I used to live in Rock Hill - & they get the first Starbucks :)

Reviewing some demographic data through ESRI, the Fort Mill nook of York Co had a population of 25k in 2000 - the estimated population for 2004 was 30k. That would make sense, I would guess the population was around 10k in 1990 or at least through most of the 1980's.

It's a shame though that all of this growth can't be developed through a single master plan in coordination with Fort Mill. Though from what I've understood the Close Family development is very nice, particularly the greenspace portion. But I wonder what the identity for these residents will be in 10 to 20 years? Will Fort Mill develop as a major suburb or will it's municipal limits be enclosed by the growth.

Knew it had to happen, but still a little unbelievable to read it. And we used to make fun of people in Fort Mill when I used to live in Rock Hill - & they get the first Starbucks :)

Reviewing some demographic data through ESRI, the Fort Mill nook of York Co had a population of 25k in 2000 - the estimated population for 2004 was 30k. That would make sense, I would guess the population was around 10k in 1990 or at least through most of the 1980's.

It's a shame though that all of this growth can't be developed through a single master plan in coordination with Fort Mill. Though from what I've understood the Close Family development is very nice, particularly the greenspace portion. But I wonder what the identity for these residents will be in 10 to 20 years? Will Fort Mill develop as a major suburb or will it's municipal limits be enclosed by the growth.

Do any of guys think that Fort Mill or Rock Hill grow to the size fo Cary NC which exploded to about 100,000 in just a few years. If so what effects on SC would that have.

That's hard to compare - b/c Cary's size is due to NC's progressive annexation laws. Most likely - Rock Hill or Fort Mill will never hit 100k, but Rock Hill's immediate developed area is 100k, though it's population is under 60k (which is impressive for a SC town).

But basically - no, unless SC's strict annexation laws change - RH nor FM will hit 100k. Well - let me back up, b/c RH could possibly hit 100k if it manages to continue annexing 'ahead' of development. But still Rock Hill is very different from Cary, Rock Hill is a sattelite city of Charlotte - not fully a suburb like Cary. Fort Mill though is of course a suburb.

Well said. The developed area just around Rock Hill already holds 100k. Without annexation laws, I doubt we will see that number within the city limits for quite some time, if ever. Denser housing is coming, but so far has been limited to smaller lot sizes for developments, hardly what you strive for when creating density.

Still, Rock Hill will probably never be a dense urban environment, and I'm not sure it should be. If the master plan is followed, the downtown to Winthrop area will develop into a nice, dense district with a few mid-rise condo projects, but that's about it. The remainder of the city is, and will be, suburban.

As far as growth goes, I see the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area actually surpassing Rock Hill as the York County center in about 30 years. Major retail that for some reason seem repelled by Rock Hill are all too willing to tap the demographics of Fort Mill and Tega Cay. Eventually we'll see the area around Gold Hill Road develop into a major retail and office corridor. The Close family has been brilliant in planning how their land has been developed (the Greenway, Baxter) and now that Greenway land has been put aside, and the residential component is maturing, you'll see the retail/office component come online next. Rock Hill has some great plans in the works, but Ft. Mill/Tega Cay has the advantage of actually being closer to Charlotte, which factors into relocation decisions.

Brad, where you been? Rock Hill has had a Starbucks!! Your beloved Putt-Putt course has succumbed to the inevitable pull of corporate America and now serves double-latte mocha chakas, or whatever the hell they serve...

So they did build it there? That is where an Outback Steaks is isn't it? Wow - talking about industrial redevelopment, that area used to be only good for boat engine repairs & of course Putt-Putt.

As for increasing density - along Cherry Rd from Winthrop to 77 is a possibility, but I sure wouldn't want to live there. But the way RH annexes miles along a narrow tract of land I think it's possible for the city to hit 100k decades from now, RH will likely continue to annex towards York, south along 72, 901 & I-77 & east towards the river - all areas of future subdivisions.

Speaking of Rock Hill, someone in the Greenville forum shared this - historic Sanborn maps of SC which you can view 100 year old maps of RH: http://www.sc.edu/library/digital/collections/sanborn.html

Archived