Which road do you think needs to be widened?

UrbanCharlotte

Roads that need widening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which road needs to be widened ASAP?

• Providence Rd.
    • Independence Blvd.
    • W.T Harris Blvd
    • I-77 N
    • I-85
    • Other, specify in post

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Charlotte is growing at an incredible rate. I live around the Promenade Area where the new lowes foods is going, and the traffic seems to get worse every month. Many new neighborhoods are being built here, and when I moved here 3 years ago, it wasn't 1/10th as bad. Providence rd. will soon become a parking lot if nothing is done. :(

either widen Harris, or give me an alternate route. Harris is THE only way to get from east to west in north Meck. Getting from the Northlake area to University area for band practice is a royal pain in the ass.

harris is too wide as it is. it is impossible to get from the far right lane to the far left lane to make a turn when you need to. what it needs are alternates. City Boulevard will help somewhat, but there should be an east west road with bridge across 85 between Harris and Mallard Creek church and Harris and City.

That is the problem with these roads, is they are namebrand thoroughfares that everyone in the burbs must take with little alternative.

I voted Independence, though, as I believe that it should be widened and upgraded to expressway (although preferably a freeway or interstate eventually).

i also think Graham street needs to be widened between sugar creek to 277. Not necessarily in number of through lanes, but it definitely needs wider lanes and some left turn lanes at intersections. It is a major bypass route to 77 and part of 85 headed downtown, but its capacity is limited by those problems. It would also do the area well to have that type of infrastructure improvement, as they could improve the landscaping and sidewalk situation while they are at it.

I'd also list all the roads around derita (Graham north of 85, Sugar Creek, Mallard Creek, City Boulevard extension, Norris, etc....), but they are all already on the list to be expanded and will likely be coordinated with the North commuter line. I think those improvements will help take cars off 85 and Harris.

Providence Road - NC16 to Waxhaw [4 lanes]

Indepence Blvd. to I485 to bypass of Monroe

I77 south to SC line and to north to I40 in Statesville

I85 North to Lexington and I85 south to SC (all that is 4 lanes]

All these should have happen years ago.

LRT and busies are not going to take all the pressure off these roads.

NCDOT will get to these in about 2090.

The traffic on I485 from South Blvd. towards the Monroe exit is also horrible. Getting back from Carolina Place around 5:30 is terrible :(

then don't go to carolina place ;).

people who don't enjoy the sights, sounds, and stench of bumper to bumper traffic on 485 in south charlotte need to just move. It will never be any better than it was for you today excepting plague or collapse of the US economy. Even when it is widened, 7 years from now, it will only be widened with one extra lane, which it probably needed 5 years ago.

when people are house shopping, i don't know if they just time the trip on a sunday afternoon or if they believe the ads that say "just minutes from uptown charlotte" from all those little towns in union county, etc., ... but i just cannot imagine living down there and sitting in that traffic. there would be some violence :).

• 7 months later...

I agree with you about widening the lane width on Graham and Tryon north of town. I think they'd be better used instead of 77 from 85 if they weren't quite so narrow.

I have to say that I-85 in Cabarrus has been needed for well over a decade now, I'm tired of widenings. The wider you make it, the more people will rely on it as their only means to get home, thereby defeating the purpose. Also, the widening of lane width is very important in many locations, this should be priority number 1. 485 is not the only way to get around town and I don't care.

No widenings! Charlotte should create a commuter tax and limit commuter traffic into Uptown by requiring a yearly congestion fee from workers. Cameras could be installed that record violators that don't have stickers similar to London. Thereby encouraging carpooling and bus use ahead of light rail. And oh yeah, I just saw a pig fly right by my window :lol:

Not all traffic is cars. There are a lot of 18 wheelers out there which damage the roads more than cars. Trucking is a big industry in Charlotte, and they sure can not take LRT.

We must build roads that are safe for all to travel, wide lanes and extra lanes may be need to obtain this balance. Doing nothing could cause the deaths of many motorist due to unsafe roads.

I do not use many of the roads in the Charlotte area that are jam with traffic. This does not mean that I don'r care if many motorist sit in traffic jams trying to get to work or home.

What we need more of is smart growth, no new housing until the roads are built to handle all the new traffic. 599 to 1,000 house on an old farn to market road should not happen until road improvements are done. I see big boxes and houses on these little narrow

roads and think that I would not want to live here.

Not all traffic is cars. There are a lot of 18 wheelers out there which damage the roads more than cars. Trucking is a big industry in Charlotte, and they sure can not take LRT.

We must build roads that are safe for all to travel, wide lanes and extra lanes may be need to obtain this balance. Doing nothing could cause the deaths of many motorist due to unsafe roads.

Want safer roads? Encourage the police to actually crack downon speeding, tailgaiting, and aggressive driving on area roads. I would lvoe to see speed cameras set up along every major road in the area. Safer roads and more revenue at the same time.

In my opinion:

1. I-85 from Speedway Blvd up to Rowan County, where the new widen section is, and then connect the rest of that to the 6-lane portion in Davidson County, so I-85 will be at least 6-lanes from Gaston County to Orange County (and eventually Durham County).

2. I-77 from the future I-485 to I-40 in Statesville

3. Independence Blvd needs to be widen to 6 lanes down to I-485 and converted to a freeway, since Charlotte doesn't have a real east-west freeway.

4. Widen I-485 to at least 6 lanes on the southern section and maybe 8-lanes around Pineville and Ballantyne.

5. Providence Rd, from I-485 to Waxhaw to 4-lanes

I think I-77 should be widen from SC to the Brookshire, but I don't think it's a top priority. With the completion of the western section of I-485, it should relieve some of the through traffic through town.

Archived