Which road do you think needs to be widened?

UrbanCharlotte

Roads that need widening  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which road needs to be widened ASAP?

• Providence Rd.
    • Independence Blvd.
    • W.T Harris Blvd
    • I-77 N
    • I-85
    • Other, specify in post

Monroe Rd from Matthews to Union County. This 2 lane rd is congested most hrs of the day. With 485 crossing it, many trucks use it as well. Traffic is as bad as Providence Rd, yet this area isnt as affluent and there are currently no funds to widen.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all traffic is cars. There are a lot of 18 wheelers out there which damage the roads more than cars. Trucking is a big industry in Charlotte, and they sure can not take LRT.

We must build roads that are safe for all to travel, wide lanes and extra lanes may be need to obtain this balance. Doing nothing could cause the deaths of many motorist due to unsafe roads.

I do not use many of the roads in the Charlotte area that are jam with traffic. This does not mean that I don'r care if many motorist sit in traffic jams trying to get to work or home.

What we need more of is smart growth, no new housing until the roads are built to handle all the new traffic. 599 to 1,000 house on an old farn to market road should not happen until road improvements are done. I see big boxes and houses on these little narrow

roads and think that I would not want to live here.

Well said. I'd go for the interstates, and safety improvements to substandard thoroughfares, ahead of turning rural farm-to-market roads into boulevards.

A widened and improved I-85, Greenville to Durham is essential - the road is jammed in cities and towns, and continually between them. I'm unsure as to why widening a 14-mile stretch of road in Rowan County (mile68 to mile82) has dragged into a second decade (!) - that's inexcuaseable, especially on an already very hazardous stretch of road. 37 miles of 85 between US29 in Greensboro and the I-40 split in Hillsborough were done in less time. 85 Speedway-China Grove, Mile82-Lexington, SC line-Kings Mtn are a few years off still.

77 to Statesville should also be widened and rehabbed, and I think parts of that are on the agenda, not all of it.

All around, there are more and more reasons to live close-in; road planning is stuck around 1969 and gas ain't getting any cheaper (and the folks that expensive gas enriches - wherever it's coming from - are never, ever going to return any favors by widening our roads).

Archived