Gwinnett getting a skyline?

Lady Celeste

Now I'm all for mixed-use development if done properly, but it really seems as though Gwinnett refuses to accept its position in metropolitan Atlanta (i.e., not Fulton). The fact that the project is described as "Atlantic Station-style" may disturb me just a bit. But let me read the article and see what I can come up with. :thumbsup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sign of hope:

Like many in the area's development community, he has wanted to turn declining property in rapidly growing Gwinnett County into mixed-use projects.

I'm just hoping that this and other mixed-use developments won't be so disconnected and lack infrastructure so as to defeat the purpose. But I guess it all remains to be seen.

^ That is the problem, any mixed use project in Gwinnett County will only benefit those residents that live within that project. Gwinnett County is far more disconnected than most counties, to which it would be a neccessity for everyone to drive - hence defeating the purpose.

If any smart growth is to occur - it has to be in the town centers of Norcross, Duluth or Lawrenceville, or even the planned redevelopment of Snellville. Actually - Norcorss & Duluth has done the best job so far, Duluth has recreated their downtown & is now somewhat of a tourist attraction.

• 3 months later...

Here is more information on the two 25 story towers planned for Gwinnett County.

image_3104370.jpg

A developer wants to build two 25-story condominium towers, containing 263 residential units and about 112,000 square feet of retail space, near I-85 and Gwinnett Place mall. The towers, which would be by far the tallest buildings in Gwinnett County, were made possible by a recent change in building regulations in the rapidly growing suburban county.

One of America's most rapidly developing counties will add something new under freshly submitted plans: a skyline.

After looking at sites in Buckhead, a major architectural firm has decided to build a 25-story residential condominium complex in Gwinnett County. The site is near Steve Reynolds Boulevard and Singleton Road near I-85.

The high-rise is the first proposed under county regulations adopted in December to allow residential buildings to rise more than three stories in Gwinnett without special permission. An architect with the firm designing the project said developers had looked at Buckhead as a potential site but focused on Gwinnett after the new rules were adopted.

The towering condominiums would be the tallest buildings in Gwinnett County and may help mark the area's change from suburb to city, one county planning commissioner said Monday.

Read the story here:

25-story condo complex could tower over Gwinnett

Hmmmm.....one point of ingress/egress onto a busy blvd. with a private intrior road serving the property......how suburban...but taller.

Unfortunately, people like Peggy don't grasp the concept of urban. They think a high-rise will prevent additional impacts on traffic.

Hmmmm.....one point of ingress/egress onto a busy blvd. with a private intrior road serving the property......how suburban...but taller.

Unfortunately, people like Peggy don't grasp the concept of urban. They think a high-rise will prevent additional impacts on traffic.

Looks good to me. Suburban, yes, but what are you gonna do?

Well....the County should have had the fore-sight to understand that allowing taller buildings only increases traffic. Therefore, they needed to create a zoning district that mandates road improvements and urban design.

This is the problem with allowing high-density without providing adequate infrastructure.

Here is more information on the two 25 story towers planned for Gwinnett County.

image_3104370.jpg

A developer wants to build two 25-story condominium towers, containing 263 residential units and about 112,000 square feet of retail space, near I-85 and Gwinnett Place mall.

Pardon my confusion, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out exactly where this project is going to be. Based on its placement in the diagram it looks as if the project will be built either where the Asian Farmer's Market currently is (formerly Bass Pro Shop) or where Wachovia Bank currently is. I know there is an empty plot of land across the street from Wachovia bank that has a sign up for some new residential development to come, but it is not on the proper corner based on this diagram.

Anybody from Gwinnett have any insight? Thanks.

is this north or south of 85? In other words..will it be on the GPM side or the Marriott side? If its on the Marriott side it will create a mini skyline with the existing hotel and midrise offices around it.

And urban? LOL! Well, Buckhead started this way. I just wish they would have LEARNED from it!

Oh and where will this Zen Urban Resort ive been hearing about be? Is it UC already or still in planning?

OK i see now looks like south of 85...sorry for the triple posting!

Topped Out, here is an aerial view of the lot where the towers will go.

57882484.jpg

I hope this helps you with placing the location.

Lady Celeste, you are terrific. That helped a great deal. So this proposal is for the plot of land next to the Wachovia Bank on Steve Reynolds Blvd.

Archived