Orlando's Cameron Kuhn purchases land,Suntrust Tower

bobliocatt

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned a movie theatre on this page. I think it would be a great idea, and would really compliment the Landing well! Also, it would be nice to see a huge retail destination, like or Barnes and Noble or something.

Indeed that is the most exciting part of Kuhn's Plaza project in Orlando. They estimate annual attendance at 670,000. That will make quite the punch!

^That was all when Delaney was Mayor and Peyton has clearly shown that he's not interested in giving incentives for projects in downtown (ex. The Landing, Laura Trio, The Barnett). If the city gives the Navy $50 million, I'm sure there won't be a dime left over for helping downtown by giving up $22 million in incentives to people like Kuhn.

Hmm, this is starting to sound like the all too familiar path of all north bank projects. This guy should have known about Jacksonville's incentives policies before making the deal, so hopefully he already has a plan.

Also, I agree with UrbanLegend that a movie theater/Barnes & Noble would be awesome, but it's already been tried this year, and that didn't go over so well. If a theater is what's planned for this site, I hope it has fewer problems than Atkins.

If Kuhn did proposal a theater, they would be to completely different types. The Atkins theater is more similar to the Florida Theater, in that its more of a movie house, considering it has only one large screen and will have a restaurant. Kuhn's project in Orlando is a mega-plex cinema, similar to Tinseltown or AMC. In addition to a mega bookseller, Atkins is also negotiating with specialty grocery markets and pharmacys. Imo, since downtown lacks all of these amenities, there's ample room for both projects. By the way, Westin Hotels was also interested in the site. Who knows, there's a good chance a hotel could be included in whatever goes on the site.

Based on Kuhn's track record in Orlando this is what I see happening to his newly purchased building and adjoining lot in Jax.

A new mixed use high rise on the lot with office space and apartments as to retain control of the building. He can then move the current Suntrust tenants into the new space. Then refurbish of the existing Suntrust building into an office condo building. He seems to like those.

Archived