Nashville: Entertainment assets rise

it's just dave

In the spirit of competition, another headquarters has moved to Music City. It's now Viacom (CMT, MTV, Spike, Comedy Channel, Nickelodeon) vs. E. W. Scripps (HGTV, Shop At Home (also based in Nashville), Food Network, Do It Yourself) with the move of the Great American Country cable network's headquarters from Denver to Nashville. There will be millions in studio and network investment which will add to this city's portfolio of entertainment assets. This is good stuff in the world of competition and having two giant cable broadcasters of the same genre right here in town duking it out could prove interesting indeed.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/509270320

With the city's finally admitting that we are Music City and taking the steps necessary to promote the many genre's of music here, from production, the performance, to "attitude" and beyond with signage, banners, etc., it's time we all became extremely aware of this rare commodity we have that many only wished they did.

Besides the built environment, it's a good time to be here.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that the other day in the Tennessean. It really is good news for the city. It should raise its prestige a peg or two. I know alot of folks might not think its a big deal, but really it is. Like Dave says, its means investment, corporate presence, relocated jobs that will add to the economy, etc.

I also agree with Dave that Nashville should embrace the Music City image and run with it when it comes to the industry. I actually didn't know that they weren't doing so.

@ Dave - How exactly has the city until now not been running with the music industry ball? Have they just not been proactive enough, or not proactive at all.

RK, on some levels we have been running with that ball, but not to the extent we could with regard to marketing, business involvement and such. The "ball" has always had a country focus, which brings in millions of people, millions, if not billions of dollars, worldwide recognition, and all the perks that go with that. But once we've got the people here, we seem to just let them discover things on their own. Often, those among the less saavy and less-traveled tend to get lost in all the activity going on around them downtown. What this initiative strives for, I believe, is to give Nashville's musical essence a sense of place, a way for people to know they've arrived in someplace special, methods of knowing where to find what they want, whether it's live country, jazz, rock, after-hours, R&B, or what-have-you. Bring known across the world as the center of country is fine, but in reality this city is all things musical and entertainment. That's the message we're going to bank on and grow. Here's some excerpts from the Tennessean article a couple of days ago.

Banners, street signs to hype Music City

Excerpts from the Tennessean, Sept. 22, 2005, Richard Lawson, columnist

"Nashville has used Music City slogans to market itself for years. Now, tourism officials along with government and business leaders want to make absolutely certain that everyone knows Nashville is Music City USA.

That means naming the stretch of Demonbreun Street from the new symphony center to Music Row the Music Mile. A partnership deal being forged with XM Satellite Radio will mean airing a regular show named Music City Connection: Heroes Behind the Hits.

Banners will hang from poles around the city touting the Music City brand along with a new system of directional signs guiding visitors to music venues. The signs and banners are scheduled to go up by the end of the year, officials said.

Live music venues will have special signs as well. Even the backs of Coca-Cola delivery trucks will carry a Nashville Music City logo, just below the phrase "Singing makes you thirsty."

The Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau unveiled the novel plans yesterday as part of a major marketing effort designed to deliver on the promise of providing the "ultimate live entertainment experience" in an "authentic, unique, friendly and unpretentious atmosphere."

-------

This is all part of a long-studied initiative which basically says, "if you've got it, flaunt it."

I'm all for it. I think immersing our visitors in an "in-your-face" way to let them know they've arrived and we expect them to have a great time is an idea who's time to initiate has come.

Nashville is sprucing up like I've never seen before, there are buildings going up everywhere, new businesses are opening up all over town and just being downtown on ANY give night finds you surrounded by crowds all here to have fun. And from what I've seen, they seem to be doing just that. All the toothless, hick stereotype jokes be damned. We have NO reason to give two hoots about that. Those ARE NOT the people I see on the streets spending their money. We've got it going on. Many cities who claim to have a grip on nightlife just pale in comparison. And that's the strength we must build on. Whether it's kicking it up at Coyote, banging your head late night at Dream, two-stepping at the Wildhorse, going to the symphony, a play, a hockey game or whatever. This is one helluva place. And it's absolutely impossible to fully describe that. Oh well, I think I'll head downtown shortly and check it all out.

Nashville is sprucing up like I've never seen before, there are buildings going up everywhere, new businesses are opening up all over town and just being downtown on ANY give night finds you surrounded by crowds all here to have fun. And from what I've seen, they seem to be doing just that. All the toothless, hick stereotype jokes be damned. We have NO reason to give two hoots about that. Those ARE NOT the people I see on the streets spending their money. We've got it going on. Many cities who claim to have a grip on nightlife just pale in comparison. And that's the strength we must build on. Whether it's kicking it up at Coyote, banging your head late night at Dream, two-stepping at the Wildhorse, going to the symphony, a play, a hockey game or whatever. This is one helluva place. And it's absolutely impossible to fully describe that. Oh well, I think I'll head downtown shortly and check it all out.

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more, and I love your posts. They're written with so much feeling and are so insightful! Nashville is a truly happening place. I can't wait until this weekend, 'cause I'm coming up for some of that great nightlife and the Titans - Colts game! GO TITANS!!!

Archived